What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema XVI Mystery of Marie Roget / Chicago Deadline / Iron Man -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Kino has been doing yeoman-like work in bringing their collections of film noir to collectors. The term "Film Noir," as most will be aware comes from the Portuguese meaning "Very wet dark streets."

Now with their release of number 16 in the series, they've (at least for me) hit a bit of a gold mine. Normally, I'll find one, possibly two films in these collections of interest, but I don't recall finding all three.

The newest additions are Edgar Allen Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget (1942, Universal), Chicago Deadline (1949, Paramount) and Iron Man (1951, Universal).

Marie Roget features Technicolor favorite Maria Montez, with Patric Knowles and Maria Ouspenskaya.

Chicago gives us Alan Ladd, Donna Reed, June Havoc, Irene Hervey and Arthur Kennedy.

Iron Man stars Jeff Chandler, Evelyn Keyes and Stephen MacNally, supported by Rock Hudson and legend Jim Arness, best known to fans as the human carrot.

All three are from 2k scans of protection elements, and all look fine. Marie Roget has a bit more speckling in the opening than might be expected, but all three are just fine. No restorations here. Just nice image harvests from quality elements.

Of the three, my personal favorite is Chicago Deadline, which is worth the price of admission.

Image – 7.5

Audio – 9

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - 2 (typical noir box)

Upgrade from DVD - Yes (was Chicago Deadline released domestically?)

Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Film-Noir-My...ix=the+dark+side+of+cinema+xvi+,aps,75&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks