What's new

What is your favorite movie genre? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So, is there a certain genre of film that you gravitate toward over another? Let's hear it.

I broke mine into a top three list

3 - Horror. Not so much for being scary ( so few actually are) but for the talent of the film makers. Most on low budgets, they can get really weird, really creative and downright brilliant at times. Frowned upon by movie snobs that don't know any better. George Romero, John Carpenter, Sam Raimi just to name a few of my favorites.

2 - Dramatic film. The more sad, and depressing the better. The role of an actor to really show their strength. Nick Cage, and Elizabeth Shue in Leaving Las Vegas. Mary Tyler Moore, and Timothy Hutton in Ordinary People. Tom Cruise in Born on the Fourth of July I love being sad, I love drama:)

1 - Documentary. Nothing connects me to cinema more than a great documentary. My favorite type of film by far. The best of them stay with me forever. That is the power of the documentary. To discover, and understand people and places and the impact the film has on the viewer. A few of my favorites 'American Dream', 'Stoked, The Rise and Fall of Gator', 'Dark Days', 'American Movie', 'The King of Kong', 'For All Mankind', 'Vernon, Florida'.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I grew up in the 1960's so my favorite genre is Westerns. My next favorite is Film Noir which has closed the gap to Westerns in the later years of my life. My third favorite is War/Action.

TBH, I like just about all film genres as even my appreciation for musicals has increased over the last 20 years.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Science Fiction
Fantasy
Horror
(and those first 3 cross over so much they may as well be a single genre)
Comedy
"Costume"/Period Drama/Adventure (encompasses everything from swashbucklers to medieval to historical with the main consideration being that it takes place before ~1850)
Western
Noir/Detective/Mystery
War
Documentary (mostly war and nature)

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Being an avid Science Fiction reader most of my life, the number one slot is easily Science Fiction. In particular, the more thoughtful entries in the genre that explore the societal ramifications of technology, or those that are considered "hard" SF. Honestly, I enjoy almost all of it to varying degrees. I can even enjoy bad SF, of which there is quite a bit.
2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Blade Runner, A Clockwork Orange, Ex Machina

Number two would have to be crime / noir / neo-noir. Perhaps I am cheating by listing three genres, but in my mind they are closely (in many cases) linked. There is inherent drama in crime films that I really find appealing. Noirs and neo-noirs tend to satisfy me in terms of their aesthetics, especially in terms of cinematography and dialogue. (TBH, while I've watched my share of noir, this is a category in which I still need to deepen my experience.)
Night of the Hunter, Out of the Past, The Maltese Falcon, Heat, The Godfather

The third category I'll mention is the Western. Both classics and the more modern versions that tend to feature the anti-hero. Some of the characteristics which attract me include, survival aspects esp. in the wilderness, cinematography that displays natural vistas to strong effect, characters with an internal "code" that informs their personas, stories that deal with the expansion of the "West".
Once Upon A Time In The West, The Big Country, The Searchers, Jeremiah Johnson, Open Range

- Walter.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I wouldn't say I have a favorite but the one that made me take film serious is the western genre. The presentation of good vs evil in that genre made a major impression on me. First western I ever saw the magnificent seven and I followed john Sturges movies. The next western I saw was devils doorway with Robert Taylor. The black and white photography of that film also lead me to film noir. Took me years to appreciate noir, but the film the killers made me fall in love with Ava Gardner and that genre.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I guess I have to say drama is my favorite. Comedy is a close 2nd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks