Will my speakers survive in my cold garage?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rob TT, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of Cerwin Vega DX-9 speakers that are great speakers for partys and loud music, but I have to keep them in my garage through the cold Michigan winter. I am debating on selling them anyway, but they will be a pain to ship.They have huge cabinets. Does anyone know how much damage will happen if I leave them in the garage?

Thanks

2. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I have a receiver, CD player, & pair of speakers that I use out in the garage. Gets to be 110+ when closed up in the summer & below freezing in the winter. They've been in there for years, everything still works fine.

-Dave

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    As long as they don't get wet, they should be fine.

4. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

They should be fine.

5. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

Are the surrounds on your drivers foam? That would be my only concern. If the garage in not temp and humidity controlled, foam surrounds may deteriorate faster than they normally would. That happened to me, at least according to the guy who repaired my drivers. Not an expensive remair, really, and most foam surrounds will eventually disintegrate. So, if you don't have foam surrounds, there probably is nothing else to worry about.

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

As long as when you take them out you give them some time to warm up again...trying to get reference level sound out of a freezing cold speaker can be bad news.

7. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

You know it is too cold for them when they only sound good when playing "Ice Ice Baby"[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]