What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Why the Fear Over Buying Used DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I always buy new and I don't consider it an 'elitist' thing. Frankly I think I'm crazy sometimes because of my obsession with finding the perfect item on a shelf.

It's so obsessive that I even search through the discs at the store to find one where even the shrinkwrap is not marred. Now how bizarre is that? I'm going to walk out of the store in 2 minutes and tear the shrinkwrap off, but for somereason, I'll search for the DVD where the complete package including shrinkwrap is completely intact.

So it's not about being 'elitist' but more about being 'obsessive'. I don't care how anyone else obtains their DVDs, whether it's new or used.

Mitch, I'm really not trying to pick on you, but what if your cousin had built his collection by joining and re-joining Columbia House dozens of times so that 3/4 of his DVDs were practically free? How would you feel about that (I'm being serious)?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

You're the one who used the word "furious". I'd say that's letting it bother you too much.

What about DVDs he receives as gifts? They're brand new, but he paid nothing! That little cheater!

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"He is the one who wants to "compete" with me. I go and buy 4 DVDs per week, and he goes and buys 12 USED ones spending the exact same amount of money that I did. How can I "compete" with that? I don't think its fair. I don't let it bother me too much, some people here are really exagerating everything I say."

No amount of exaggerating what you say could compete with what you are ACTUALLY saying. I don't want to be mean but it sure sounds deranged...A little friendly competition over whose DVD collection is "bigger," I guess I could understand...But getting upset because someone is buying used DVDs for their collection just...doesn't...make...any...sense. At all. Period. How old are you?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I laughed at the previous posts discussing goats. I laughed again when I remember that my sister got a goat for free, from someone so she could practice for rodeos and such. So, since her goat was free, does that only make it half a goat?

Anyway, to get back on topic, DVD is cool!

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So, since her goat was free, does that only make it half a goat?
Damnit! I paid full price for my goat and now your sister goes and gets a goat for free! That's not fair! I refuse to recognize your sister's goat. Maybe I should join the Columbia House Goat Club.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
BMW (3 vs. 5 vs. 7)...I mean sheesh--are you gonna tell me that a 760i is sportier than a 330ci?...So to the person who said that he was more impressed with a 5 or 7 over a 3--perspective is everything; is a 525i more impressive than an M3? I don't think so
I know it's off topic. But I never said anything about 5s or 7s being more "sporty" I never mentioned sporty. I would be more impressed with a 12 cly BMW-7 vs a 6 cyl BMW-3. I'm sure many others would be as well. I think a M3 is more impressive than any 5 series (except the M5, of course)

In general
BMW: Z3

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
At the farm where I go to get my new goats (don't ask me what I need them for, I just need them, okay?) I never pick the goat standing closest to the gate. I know other people have maybe come up and touched this goat, got their fingerprints on it, whatever. I don't even want to think about it. No, I always choose the goat that is standing in the back, behind all the other goats. It doesn't matter to me how the rest of you get your goats. You want a used goat, a goat that's been touched by someone else, fine, that's your business. To each his own, I say.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
No, I always choose the goat that is standing in the back, behind all the other goats. It doesn't matter to me how the rest of you get your goats.
I always choose the goat in the middle of the pack. I feel that it's less likely that it's been contaminated by other people. Sometimes if I have the time, after I find my perfect, untainted goat, I go around a touch ALL the other goats.

P.S. - There's NO WAY I'd ever buy a used goat. Do you know what some people do with goats?

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
While browsing at say, Blockbuster, and I see that a new copy of "DareDevil" is selling for $19.95 and I see a copy in their used section for $12.99, guess what, I am gonna get the used copy.
If I even wanted Daredevil at all, I would've bought it the first week for $15-$17 instead of waiting months later to pay $13 for a copy that someone probably sneezed on.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Its not the size of the goat collection that matters its the quality. Though, if I buy a family of six goats even though I made only 1 purchase, I'm still counting them for six. Just as soon as I can enter the UPC's in to goatprofiler

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Mitch, all I've got to say is "Wow". You really should have stopped after that first paragraph.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Is it cheating if I purchase a pregnant goat knowing that I'm probably going to really get 3 or 4 goats for the price of 1?

MikeHughes

Agent
I own approx. 30-40 used DVD's. That's less then 10% of my collection. I never had any bad luck with them. Well, i don't like scratches, but i don't mind the odd fingerprint. I guess, in the eyes of some people, that would make my collection inferior but i just don't give a rats ass about their opinion. :)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

... nothing I can say would be funnier than that paragraph. Please keep digging yourself in deeper, Mitch. It's fascinating.

I'm also curious to know your age.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks