What's new

Why the Fear Over Buying Used DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"Larry's original post:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...I don't understand the negative reaction some people have to buying used. Is it because you got burned with some bad discs?

So do the rest of you know something I don't? What's the supposed drawback to buying used?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, After all that I guess most who don't buy used do so because of bad selection of used DVDs or just prefer not to have to worry about any possible problems.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What? Are you reading the same posts I'M reading, Nick? "Most who don't buy used" in this thread seem to base their aversion primarily on PSYCHOLOGICAL reasons, not because of "bad selection" or "possible problems." (Yes, some have mentioned the fear of getting a disc that is somehow damaged, yet few report having actually done so.) Far from being put off by a "poor selection," several people have described used consumer goods as simply "dirty" and have said they won't buy anything used - period.
Whatever you think of this perspective, it runs rampant through this thread, and I find it very interesting.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
People spend this much money on movie tickets all the time for a one time viewing. So why does this not translate over to DVD's
Ahh, yes, but you are working from an invalid comparison. You are comparing going to the movies to buying a dvd. you should be comparing renting a dvd to buying a dvd. under that comparision, you save $15-$18 by renting. That is a signficant sum, especially with the number of dvds some of you people buy.

There is no logical, defensible, reason to buy dvds. Of course, there is also no logical defensible reason to buy overpriced drinks in bars, to buy new cars instead of used cars, buy designer clothes, etc., etc. People do things because it gives them pleasure. If that is what you want to do, go for it.

Of course, I buy used and use Netflix. I don't have a collectors mentality (or I am just really cheap).

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
My girlfriend and I catch a Saturday afternoon show just about every week. Tickets for both of us are $11.50. And often we'll sneak into another show :b and get double the value.

And besides, seeing a movie in the theater is a different experience than seeing a movie at home. It's more of an "event". It's more social. I'll pay $11.50 to see a movie in the theater. I wouldn't pay that much to rent it and watch it at home.

However, I do sometimes buy movies that I haven't seen, and may only watch once. But after I eBay them, I'll usually have paid no more than what a rental would cost (and sometimes I even make a profit).

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
What? Are you reading the same posts I'M reading, Nick? "Most who don't buy used" in this thread seem to base their aversion primarily on PSYCHOLOGICAL reasons, not because of "bad selection" or "possible problems." (Yes, some have mentioned the fear of getting a disc that is somehow damaged, yet few report having actually done so.) Far from being put off by a "poor selection," several people have described used consumer goods as simply "dirty" and have said they won't buy anything used - period.
I didn't sit down and do a count, but I kept reading posts of people who just didn't want to spend time looking for deals or dealing with used DVDs, they just wanted the movie so bought a new copy. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "Most"

I'll look over the beginning of the thread, but I kept reading "Hey, it's used the second you open it, so what's the difference?" or "I have the money so why worry about saving $5-10?"

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Let's talk about this whole "I don't like to pay full price for a DVD I may only watch once, so it's not worth it" line that most people bring up. Have you ever been to the movies? When I use to go to the movies with my girlfriend, I'd spend $14-$17 on tickets. There was no way I could be certain that I would like the movie or not. People spend this much money on movie tickets all the time for a one time viewing. So why does this not translate over to DVD's? Why are people so afraid to spend $15-$20 on a DVD because they fear they may only watch it once? Isn't that the same gamble you take when you go to the movies? You'd think the DVD argument would be stronger because you at least have the ability to watch the movie again in the future wheras the movie theater is a one shot deal and you can't pause, rewind, or even rewatch it.
You are putting forth an argument based on a comparison which not only JUST shows the positives of the option you prefer, and ignores it's negatives, but completely disregards the positives of the other alternative.

Christ Mark, if you're gonna argue this point, at least try to present your arguments in a remotely objective manner :).

I had written a lenghtier response, but realised we'd been down that road before. As they say, to each his own.

--
H

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

The difference between theater vs home viewing is much more dramatic than the difference between new DVD vs used DVD. In fact, there is no difference the between new and used when you're watching them.

Your arguments are getting a lot thinner. What happened?

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I'll chime in here. I have over 420 DVDs and the majority were bought used. I have had 1 bad one. The rest of played great. I have had more problems with new ones that used. I am also a VERY cost effective purchaser. In fact I view that as more imporatant than anything else. I can get 3 DVDs for the price of 1.
There is my logic. I'll take 3 used DVDs over 1 new any day of the week. Fortunately the pawn shop that I go to gives me KILLER deals on both CDs and DVDs. They also let me look at what I am buying. If there's a bad scratch then it typically goes back. If it's a few scratches I'll give it a spin. Sometimes he just gives the CDs that are really sratched for free because he knows no one else is going to buy them and he figures it sweetens the deal for me. Plus there is a CD Wherehouse that resurfaces CDs and DVDs for free so it's really a no brainer. I'll typically bring 2 or 3 down to get resurfaced when I stop in. I also pick up 70 to 80 free DVD cases from Blockbuster every once in a while so if the used case is beat up I just throw the old one and put the disc in the new one. But to each there own. But no fear here.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"I didn't sit down and do a count, but I kept reading posts of people who just didn't want to spend time looking for deals or dealing with used DVDs, they just wanted the movie so bought a new copy. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "Most"
I'll look over the beginning of the thread, but I kept reading "Hey, it's used the second you open it, so what's the difference?" or "I have the money so why worry about saving $5-10?"

Yes there are a few posts from people who say they just find it easier to click a button online and buy new rather than shop around for used, but there are multiple posts from people who say they just don't like the very idea that someone else had touched the DVD before them. Yes, some of them mention fingerprints, scratches, etc, but NOBODY says "I tried buying a few used DVDs, but they had fingerprints or scratches and wouldn't play correctly."
In other words, Nick, it is the IDEA that someone else handled these discs, and not the effect this ACTUALLY has on the ability to play them, that seems to be a major concern.
If you go back and check through the thread, those with the most direct experience, in other words those who frequently buy used discs, report few, if any, actual problems...
It is the psychological conception of the thing, NOT the reality, that seems to be in play here.
There is also an element of judging the worth of a thing by how much you paid for it. If you paid more, it must be WORTH more. (Like the guy who thinks only DVDs bought new should be included when counting how many DVDs you own.) And I'm not talking resale value, since no one is claiming to buy new so they can get a better deal when they sell their DVDs later...

Again, I'm not trying to say this is good or bad, or anything to get in an argument over. I just find it interesting.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I did not mention this really in my earlier post, at least I don't think I did, so I want to hit it now.

What kind of movies do I buy used. I being impatient, when I see something being released on Tuesday that I want, I buy it there and then, and I usually look for who has the best deal in town. I'm not going to sit and hope for a used copy of Looney Toons Gold collection for example.

The movies I buy used, are usually ones I've never seen before. I bought Spider-man wide screen used most recently, having never seen it in the theater or any other format. I like this option because it allows me to get something I might have not considered other wise, I mean obviously I didn't feel like paying full price for Spider-man when it came out, but $8 used, no big deal. Plus, if I have a problem with the disc, there are resurfacing places around town that will do the job. The best deal I got for a used DVD was for the Rites of Autumn set, a 5 disc set for $40, if I had seen that on the shelf brand new I wouldn't have paid the $80 or whatever it goes for.

As for the theater, the only real social experience I had at the theater was for a midnight showing of Star Wars AOTC. Other than that, when I saw Finding Nemo, it was my girlfriend myself, and 3 people we didn't know, and for Monsters Inc. it was myself my good friend and his girlfriend, that's it.
The issue of how much you'll pay to watch something once, well, I'm not 1 of those that won't shy away from a $20 movie I will only watch once, I've paid $20 for a movie I've had for over a year and haven't watched at all.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
This thread was fun to read, but,................it is the thread I have read the moste elitest diatribes yet.:)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Hi, sorry, I just breezed through this thread...

I don't have a problem buying used DVD's... Most places will let you inspect the disk and case prior to purchase. And once you get them home, they look no different from the rest of my disks.

However, I can relate to the other side. Once you have a used DVD, somewhere in the back of your mind, you know it's still used... even if it's in perfect condition or has never been played by the previous owner. It's at that point I think to myself "yeah, but I only paid half the price of a new one".

I don't think that that used DVDs should be counted because they are FAR less valuable than a brand new DVD, otherwise you wouldn't find them so cheap!
:laugh:
This was said by someone a while back in the thread and made me laugh at the insanity of this statement. They are of equal value. If you took your store-bought DVD and a identical used copy and sold it to someone, are you saying you would expect that person to pay more for your copy than the other?

It's also like saying you have one new car and one used car in your driveway... but when people ask you how many cars you have, you tell them, "one" because the other one is used and therefore doesn't count. :rolleyes

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Mark, perhaps because I think I can see where you're going with that question, or where you could possibly go with that question, I have to tell you I love that question. It is sure to spark some good discussion.

My answer is that yes, all things being equal including price, I would probably always buy the disc that had been viewed the least number of times. Now if you throw price differences and stuff back in the equasion and the 1 that has been viewed more would get a bigger consideration. I am being totally honest in saying that I wouldn't even have to think about it if the guy that runs the shop where I buy from said: "This one has been viewed once, this one thirty times." I'd instantaniously say that it would be my preference to have the one that was only viewed once.

Of course, I've seen and understood your point throughout this whole conversation.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
If he is holding out both DVD's at you, and you know that one was played 30 times and the other was played only once, which one would you take?
If they both looked 100% identical and the only difference is the fact one was played more than the other (even just once more) and we can trust the sales clerk (I don't trust ANYONE in retail sales*)?

I'd buy the one less used. I don't think this was in question. I'm sure most people who post here are Home Theater buffs and if they do buy used, they'd want the best condition possible.

The question was the value of the DVDs. Would that Clerk be able to sell the DVD played once for more than the one played 30 times, yet the condition of both is identical? Not to me. I'd prefer the less played one, but how would you verify that?

I care about condition, If the DVDs were handled correctly you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between

1a just opened/never played DVD
2a slightly used (1 time) DVD and
3a DVD that has been playing on a loop 24 hours a day since 1997

I would pay the same price for all three, and I would consider them all "used"

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"I would pay the same price for all three, and I would consider them all "used""

And you'd be right to do so, Nick. If DVDs deteriorated, even by a miniscule amount, each time you played them, that might be different...But as far as I can tell: they don't. Performance wise, a DVD will look the same the first time it is watched, as it will for the tenth time, or the 100th time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks