What's new

Traditionally Animated CLONE WARS Availability? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So, of course, today's the day when Lucasfilm expects Star Wars geeks to come out to theaters to fork over more money and see CLONE WARS on the big screen. And I totally would buy right into it-- except that it looks awful. From the trailers, it seems to be an extended advertisement for the forthcoming TV show, complete with animation that is shockingly bad-looking; whatever the faults of the prequels are, you've got to admit he spared no expense to make sure they looked fantastic, and considering that they were basically animated anyway, the quantm leap backwards is surprising to me. Plus, the storyline seems riddled with plot holes (example: Anakin has a Padawan. Okay, so...why would the Jedi Council give him one when they don't trust him, and why wasn't she mentioned in Episode III?) I might or might not end up in the theater seat, but if I do it will only be out of a sense of obligation because I love the franchise proper -- a sort of "Okay, how bad is this REALLY?" morbid curiosity type thing -- and not because I actually want to see it.

Instead, it is stirring up memories of the last time CLONE WARS came to animation, the stylized traditionally-animated "micro-series" that aired in 25 brief chapters from 2003-2005 leading up to Episode III's release. Even though they are obviously skippable, they were an exciting new interpretation of the Star Wars universe with a truly unique look, and I enjoyed them very much. They wetted my appetite for Episode III and providing the direct link into it by animating the opening crawl to boot -- more direct relevance to the film series than the new ones will probably ever have. Now, instead of seeing the new movie and TV show, I want to see those again.

Except...

I own the DVD release of Volume 1 of these, which edits together the first 20 chapters that aired in 2003-2004. For some reason, even though it was long available, I never got around to completing the set with Volume 2 (the remaining chapters 21-25.) I always meant to do so sooner or later, but I believe I had something else to buy on its release week, and as a result it went on the list of one of those DVDs that was on my list to buy when I happened to see it get a price drop or something.

Now I see that instead of using them to promote the new CGI version, the DVDs for both volumes of the previous series are unavailable, backordered, or outright unlisted at all the websites I have checked (Amazon, BN.com BestBuy.com etc.) I was wondering if anyone knows what's up with these. Even though Warner Bros. has a contract to act as distributor of the new Clone Wars material, I do not believe that this extended to the prior series as well, which was distributed by Fox as the movies proper have always been. My biggest fear is that Lucas has decided to abandon them and pretend they do not exist, as he previously tried to do with the original trilogy, because he has recently claimed in interviews and such that the old series was nothing more than an experiment for this one.

Could anyone shed any light on this for me? If they aren't going to come back into print, do you know where I might still be able to find a stray copy? I am regretting not having gotten it sooner and really do want to complete the set, but I don't want to pay inflated prices on eBay, where they seem to have gone up recently.

Thanks.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Unfortunately, I can't help you with finding Volume 2, but I did want to chime in that I TOTALLY agree with you comments about the new Clone Wars animation.

I just loved the animation in the Cartoon Network series. Anakin's light saber fight, I think, even outshines the battles in the prequels.

But every time I've seen any of the human characters from the new series I just cringe. Of course, the environments and vehicles look great (this is Lucas, after all).

Like you, I will probably see the new film out of loyalty to the franchise, but I don't have that burning desire I'm used to.

Good luck with the hunt, though. If it's any consolation, I think Volume 1 is a little better than Volume 2. For some reason, to me, I think the the shorter episodes in Volume 1 really kept the story moving at a good clip (something I wish Lucas had taken to heart with Episode III ;) )

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Wait - there was a story in the first volume? I must have a different version than yours then, since mine has a bunch of short vignettes that were choppy and had no flow to them beyond the three minute allotment.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott

Thanks for the reality check Travis. I almost took the bait. Luckily lunch intervened and then so did you.

As for my "complaint" (in case you were talking about me), neither I nor George will lose any sleep over me not liking the look of the new series. ;)

To the OP, I did a little poking around and I am also surprised that these disks are OOP. I assume they just sold out and Fox hasn't made any more. I doubt there is a conspiracy (at least I hope not...there are too many of those things these days...). Perhaps if someone has a contact at Fox they can find out what the deal is.

Rocky F

Second Unit
Have you tried just looking in stores? I haven't specifically looked lately, but there could be stray copies laying around in Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Hey, thanks for putting words in my mouth!

For the record, I liked Episodes 2, 3 and yes - even episode 1. I also happened to like the Clone Wars cartoon* for what they are: Jedi kicking a whole bunch of ass all across the galaxy. However to claim that they have anything close to resemebling what most people would consider a plot is utter nonsense. The Clone Wars cartoon are like a Jackie Chan movie: the most basic framework possible to support the action sequances. The plot simply exists to move you from action scene A to action scene B and nothing more.

But no, go ahead and paint me with the "I hate Star Wars" crowd if that makes you feel better somehow.

* I've not seen the one that came out today, so I cant render judgement on that one way or the other yet. Hey - look at that, a Star Wars fan deciding if he likes or hates a movie until AFTER he's seen it? Shocking!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I checked with the local Barnes & Noble, which I figured might have a stray copy because it doesn't get as much DVD traffic as, say, Target or Best Buy. No such luck. Best Buy's "find this product at a store" option on their website says that all the stores near me are sold out too, and eBay prices are through the roof in relation to their original prices.

I wonder if the distribution rights to the old [edit: Clone Wars, not the movie series proper] series transferred to Warner Bros. with the deal for the CGI series -- at least that's something that can be asked at the chat next month. I don't know that I will be able to attend that or not at this point, but maybe someone could ask it?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Do you have a Borders near you? They get even less traffic than B&N, and I've often seen OOP DVDs collecting dust on the shelves.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I do, but I also have some Barnes & Noble gift cards as a result of my graduation in May which I've been hanging onto for a while, so it was my inclination to use those. I will check Borders next.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
to be fair that doesnt sound at all like you saying you like anything about this show.

check blockbuster.
I havent checked recently but up until a couple of weeks ago we've had multiple copies of both for sale.

btw the borders and B & N near me has plenty of traffic.

Don't plan on going to see the new film , but i'm not a fan of the look.
Looks to me that this is what marionettes would look like if they were cartooned.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott

All of that because I stated I thought volume 1's story moved quicker than volume 2's?

Wow, that's probably about the rudest thing anyone has ever said about me in a forum.

Actually, if that's the rudest thing then I should probably consider myself lucky. ;)

Anyway, since I can't use "story" or "plot", what word should I have used? :D

BTW, I do actually agree with your assessment of them as vignettes. But I think they are a little more connected than you give them credit for. Just my opinion, though.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping this means their gone...
and we finally get a version w/all eps. playable together.
Chapter stops between eps., however a "play all" as well (w/o titles & credits between eps.).
All so like to see the teasers again, which were GREAT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks