What's new

Does Pioneer still make good HT Receivers? If not, what should I buy? (2 Viewers)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi all. I am an old time HT enthusiast who put it all aside years ago when wife and I were outnumbered by our 3 kids lol.

My first pioneer Elite was a VSX 49 pro logic. A 5.1 got the same name a few generations later and I had that too.

Went for non elite years ago with a VSX 9120 when someone told me it was pretty much the same as the entry level elite.

Last one I bought was VSX 1361 I believe.

All that to ask advice, what would you recommend?

I was obviously going to just get the “latest” pioneer but decided to google “best receivers” and not a pioneer anywhere lol.

Have they really gone down the tubes or just less popular? Less money to marketing?

Or should I really just move on?

Not looking for top of the line. I think
I am picky but am looking at under $800 preferably.

4K preferably the option to setup Atmos later.

Thanks in advance?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
20 years ago, Pioneer was the way to go. Since then, they essentially went out of business, and were brought back. Along with Onkyo, those two used to be the receivers of choice, but that's changed. These days, in your price range, I recommend Denon or Yamaha. Also, don't disregard authorized refurbs, which you can get from Accessories4less. Anything in the last 7-8 years will be 4K and Atmos.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Adding to what John said, you might also consider Marantz, since they are owned by the same company as Denon.

Unless John says otherwise, of course!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
The only reason I didn't mention Marantz is because the starting point in their current line is the Cinema 60, which retails for $1,699. Even though you can get an excellent deal on it refurb for $899, that seemed to be more than Rolando was aiming for.

Rolando

Screenwriter
The only reason I didn't mention Marantz is because the starting point in their current line is the Cinema 60, which retails for $1,699. Even though you can get an excellent deal on it refurb for $899, that seemed to be more than Rolando was aiming for.
That is indeed more than what I wanted to spend but definitely appreciate the info.

I guess I better start looking into Denon and Yamaha.

Music definitely not as important as movie sound. Want the best bang for my buck there.

Is there a specific model you would recommend for a newbie yet kind of previously versed?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
For what its worth the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX105 is still being made and has actually received very good reviews.

As for Yamaha, if you want Atmos, you're going to have either buy an Aventage receiver or look on the used market for an RX-683 or 685

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I picked up the Denon S970 a few weeks ago on John’s recommendation and I’m very satisfied thus far. I don’t know if it handles enough Atmos speakers for what you’re looking for but it sounds great in a 5.1 configuration.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The problem currently is a lot of equipment is rather glitchy and doesn’t perform as it should. I know for a fact that current Denon and Marantz models are absolutely solid, and as far as I can tell, Yamaha seems to be good. Nobody else, including some premium brands like Anthem, seem to quite have their operating systems running as they should at the moment.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello Rolando have you pulled the trigger on a receiver yet?

If not I just thought I would ask you a few questions if you do not mind.

• How big is your room?
  • What is the power handling of your speakers
  • How loud do you like to listen to your movies?
  • Do you also listen to music on your system?
  • Do you plan to use it for multi zone audio?
  • How many sources do you have now? How many analog / How many digital / How many HDMI

Even if you are looking to use a 5.1 configuration I would highly recommend a 7.1 receiver that gives you room to grow just incase you decide to add even if it is not in the cards now. It is a matter of buying once and not being stuck or needing to sell what you have and spending more money in 2 - 3 years. You do not have to get Atmos but it is not bad to have it so you can add the speakers and be ready for it ahead of time. Alway look to have a few more HDMI inputs than you need so you have to capacity for future growth.

Choosing a receiver with preamp outputs will give you the ability to add more power and better amplifiers to your system instead of changing out the receiver. As you move up in levels in receivers in big enough jumps you will find the quality of a number of things offered go up. Receivers are by nature a balance of compromises to maintain a product that can generate a profit. So as the price point goes up the manufacturer is able to offer more. As far as power ratings go as well keep in mind that receivers generally are rated at ether one channel driven and usually no more than two channels driven. Lower end models tend to be rated not at 20hz - 20KHz but rated at one channel at 1KHz. Power output is going to be lower when driving more channels but the good things unless your listening to multichannel music. Is that your surrounds and Atmos channels are not as active as your front three channels which means they do not need as much power from the supply.

• Higher quality internal amplifiers
  • More power
  • Better quality video processing / scaling
  • Better audio DAC's
  • More channels
  • Larger quality power supply
  • Room correction software
  • Amount of overall inputs and outputs available
So it is a matter of better build quality, increased capability and higher performance.

John makes a good point about issues with glitches and Anthem to my knowledge is a little glitchy but the audio performance is really good. Anthem may have updated there software by now and fixed the glitches. Sony's GUI interface is very intuitive and well thought out but just not a fan of the performance and lack of inputs on the lower to midrange models.

Here are some ideas within your $800 budget

• Yamaha RX-V6A

• Denon AVR-S970H

For Marantz your looking at a good jump in price to move into that brand which is very nice. Same company that owns Denon owns Marantz.

It might help to go old school and put down on paper what you have and brainstorm about what you might add. Write down all the inputs and outputs you need from analog, digital, HDMI. In my opinion it is always better to wait and get the best your able to than to settle but at the end of the day one can not always to that so it just boils down to getting the best bang for the buck that fits your budget.

Check out the following brands

Your budget
  • Denon
  • Yamaha
  • Onkyo
  • Sony (I am not crazy about there receivers but they might work for you)
Above $1700
  • Marantz
  • Denon
  • Yamaha
  • Onkyo
  • Anthem

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^RE: whatever AVRs/prepros being glitchy, just don't buy anything released w/in the past year and you should probably be fine as long as you go w/ one of the better known, very well established brands, eg. maybe stay away from Emotiva and Monoprice for AVRs/prepros for such for instance -- their power amps and maybe even some less complex electronics should be fine, but these increasingly much more complicated AVRs and prepros (due mainly to the complex prepro section) not so much.

Yes, even Anthem had been glitchy w/ any particularly recent releases of AVRs/prepros -- actually still not completely sure they've fully resolved all the glitches and/or UI weaknesses (or at least all showstopping ones) w/ the AVRs/prepros they released even 2-3 years ago... but I haven't really kept up since my older AVM-60 has still been just perfectly fine (and provides just about all I need/want in a prepro for my HT).

But yeah, in your budget range, Rolando, I'd probably just stick w/ Denon or maybe Yamaha -- and definitely also give some consideration to a good refurb unit from a reasonably reputable source.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks