What's new

Why the Fear Over Buying Used DVDs? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dan, just so you know, those are almost always stolen DVDs. That's the main reason I haven't checked out those places. Since I live in Mister Money's home town, now I may have to break down and at least take a look. Of course, their big store collapsed earlier this year under several feet of snow. Hmmm...... selling stolen goods, store collapses. Could there be a connection? :p)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Well, I just bought my first used disks. I went to Blockbuster for their 2 for 20 deal
Bowling for Columbine
Anger Management
Pistol Opera
Dead or Alive (R version, but I haven't seen it before, if I like it I may spring for the DOA 3 pack coming later this month)

BTW: the special features side of Bowling has some nasty looking smudges on it, I quickly scanned through the extras and they appear to be Ok, should I be concerned?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Whats your point? Thats good for the buyer, Then they are NEW.
Well, if your own gains are your only interest, go for it. Notice I wasn't passing any judgment on the original atatement, just passing on information. I personally have a bit of a problem buying something that I am pretty sure is stolen. The reasons are numerous and should be fairly obvious. If for no other reason, it promotes people stealing so they can get probably ten cents on the dollar of the value of what they steal and the pawn shop can make much more than that. I don't want to get into an argument over it. That is just the plain fact of what I see beyond the deal I am getting.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
In that case, there's a very successful thief who apparently likes to steal Buffy (there were a bunch of copies of season 3 in there). Since Pawn shops keep records of buyers, I would assume any professional thieving career using them as a fence wouldn't last long.

Bryan_K

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if your own gains are your only interest, go for it. Notice I wasn't passing any judgment on the original atatement, just passing on information. I personally have a bit of a problem buying something that I am pretty sure is stolen. The reasons are numerous and should be fairly obvious. If for no other reason, it promotes people stealing so they can get probably ten cents on the dollar of the value of what they steal and the pawn shop can make much more than that. I don't want to get into an argument over it. That is just the plain fact of what I see beyond the deal I am getting.
I respect you're morals. Buying a DVD/CD that is PROBABLY stolen does not consern me since i have payed for the prioduct in question. So my conscious is clear. You & others have a problem with that. I can respect that.

I dont have the $ to buy new alot of the time. When i do it's on reliece day at a $5 discount. (BB)

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
and I don't trust any "customer" to know what they are talking about...
That's a great attitude.:rolleyes:That's exactly why I always say "Just looking" when asked if I need help. I only need assistance to purchase the item if it's locked away or is not readily seen. I have yet to actually learn anything about any item from a person working at the place that sells that item.

One thing about Best Buy, when they first opened, the whole idea was they stay out of your way, you could get many of the items yourself and check out without assistance (of course this doesn't work for LARGE items) Did they recently start a commission program there? I can't get them to leave me alone, and I'm looking at DVDs usually. I really don't need assistance to read the backs of DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks