What's new

What we are up against... (1 Viewer)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Brian: Living in Montana I find the same thing at WalMart and K-Mart, they usually stock 40% OAR and 60% P&S, but the OAR version is usually there, so I can usually find my OAR.

Blockbuster on the other hand, I can't tell you, as I stay away from there!

I haven't rented in a long time, Lately if a movie gets a good review from Ron or the majority of the HTF gives a movie a good review, I will just buy it. And so far I am happy.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Dont WS titles outsell P&S titles anyway? I thought I remember seeing the sales figures for Hannibal and way more people were buying the widescreen version.
Well, in the case of Hannibal, it probably has a lot to do with the fact that there's no pan and scan version available. On DVD, Hannibal is only available in widescreen.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, if I have this right - well, here goes.
Since some stores do carry OAR disks and some do not, I can probably say that the stores that are franchised would be more inclined to carry them. IMHO, if you can't find OAR's in any local stores, please use the internet and get them on line. Most employers will not object to you receiving personal mail, and maybe you'll get the chance to give them your OAR presentation to boot!
Ron, when you come on you scare the willies out of me, and you did it again. Crap! :) What we are waiting for (not really) is for a release to come out only in P&S. I dread the day.
I do hope that another campaign like the one for Wonka will work, and if it doesn't, we'll just have to increase the pressure against them, but what would be the next step?
Glenn

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Ok looks like I was wrong about Hannibal. I was probably thinking of the new SotL release.

Still, I thought I remember seeing some DVD sales statistic where the WS version of a film was outselling the PS version.

Brian

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If all of the "wise old" posters in this forum would share your ability to not take themselves so seriously there would be absolutly no vitrolic talk in these threads.
We aren't taking ourselves overly seriously, but we certainly treat home theatre seriously. Maybe you hadn't noticed, but that is what this forum is all about.

I don't recall any of the "wise old" posters insisting pan and scan transfers be banned. If people want to watch them that's fine by me, but it isn't home theatre and its advocacy is therefore incompatible with the Home Theater Forum.

Jim, the irony of your last post is quite profound for one who cannot be anything but, by its absolute definition, 'un-American'. On one hand you champion diverse opinions and beliefs, yet on the other hand believe that being un-American (holding beliefs different to your own) is bad. Interesting. Different ideologies are OK, but only when it suits you.

Despite Ron's warnings, there is still unnecessary and unconstructive sniping in this thread. This is a final warning: if it doesn't stop this thread will be closed.

Adam

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Peter and Jim ---

This is the last warning.

This is not a newsgroup and We will not let

the discussion here degenerate to that level.

Stop discussing the volatile remarks that

each other is posting and STICK TO THE SUBJECT

MATTER and THE SUBJECT MATTER ONLY.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Heres a fun assignment...the next time you see a J6P start an argument about OAR...after you win and feel superior find out what thier actual interests are and then argue with them about THIER hobby or THIER job.
Not such idiots anymore...huh.
Butch,
This is a salient point.
The true idiot would be one that argued with an individual that was far more schooled or experienced on a matter than themselves.
A true sign of wisdom would be knowing that this person has much knowledge to offer and seeking their advice rather than shunning it.
If an individual enjoys pan and scan presentations, they are not a home theater enthusiast to begin with. They become an enthusiast when the correct presentation of the film becomes a factor to them.
Thanks for reading.
knapp.jpg

Mike

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Instead of putting the OAR fight on videos, put it IN THE THEATERS!

Certainly would be a lesson on a grand scale, in terms of both affect and audience. Sorta like the visual equivalent of the THX intro - like the sonic crescendo, you'd see a square, cropped picture open up to the OAR to reveal the entire picture in all its glory.

I believe the widescreen presentation of the theater was created and touted as a cachet over the then emerging media, tv. Given this, I'm not sure that the theater owners would want to further blur the lines and lose their advantage.

P.S. Ron...got it. I'll keep my eyes on the prize.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Jeff,

Once the square geometry opens up to widescreen, a logo could appear, stating "Widescreen...Get the picture?".

Taking it further, the current THX sound presentation could be merged with the above scenario. Come to think of it, wouldn't it serve the theaterowners, by helping tout the benefits of watching a movie in a theater. All the while, indirectly lending a helping hand to both the directors and the home theater enthusiast.

Edit/Addendum: worth mentioning...two mods, an owner, and a luminary all on the same page - I'm in awe. Never seen this before. This must be THE millennial convergance.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
If an individual enjoys pan and scan presentations, they are not a home theater enthusiast to begin with. They become an enthusiast when the correct presentation of the film becomes a factor to them.
A quibble to be sure Mike... but I would say they become a true FILM ethusiast-fan-worshipper after getting the proper perspective on OAR... not a home theater enthusiast. Some recent threads on this site have proven to me that many here are more fans of home theather...than they are of film. But .. being HOME THEATER FORUM... I guess thats too be expected.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
What I fail to understand is, don't the directors/producers of the films care about how their work is presented on home video. I know if it was my work, I'd make hell for anyone who tried to mess with my original work and on how I intented for it to be presented. Or is it that the creative people in hollywood are just as greedy as the studios that finance them?

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Chip_E

Agent
Hi gang,

I'm an OAR evangelist. My wife and I only watch movies in OAR. If per chance we rent a movie and find that it's PS when we know there's a widescreen version, we take it back and give the store/rental facility a piece of our mind (and we don't have much mind to spare these days).

That being said, I recall a friend telling me a story about her freshman year English class. The instructor asked the class, "What is the definition of a 'good reader'?"

Everyone had their opinions. Some said it was someone who could read well. Some said it was someone that read a lot of books. Some said it was someone that was articulate. Finally the instructor stated that a good reader is "someone that likes to read". What I'm saying is, just because someone doesn't prefer OAR, doesn't mean they're not an enthusiast. Right or wrong, people are entitled to their opinion.

But I know how dissapointing it is when knowldeable enthusiasts deviate from what this forum considers the norm.

[AOR with original language utilizing the highest quality sound stream available on disc].

I have a friend with a new Mitsubishi 65" widescreen TV.

He prefers AOR, and enjoys movies, but won't pony up for even a cheap $150 buck Dolby Digital receiver. Instead, he monitors sound through his 10yr old Pro Logic receiver.

Yes I've demonstrated the difference a digital receiver will make, but for some reason he's resistant. He's in his late 20s and has the audiable capacity to hear the difference and the financial capacity to purchase a new receiver. Point is, it's annoying to me, but I still consider him an enthusiast. A strange and cheap SOB enthusiast, but an enthusiast all the same.

- Chip Eberhart

- DVD Author

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
On one hand you champion diverse opinions and beliefs, yet on the other hand believe that being un-American (holding beliefs different to your own) is bad.
Now you get it. I believe American principles and ideals (found in our US Constitution and Bill of Rights) are good, and those that go against them are "bad". What a concept! :) If the founding papers of New Zealand follow those same priciples, I salute them :) If they don't, then there are daily flights out of New Zealand on a daily basis :)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Regarding the idea of showing the difference between P&S and Widescreen in the theaters (and all subsequent refinements to the idea): This is what I'm talking about when I say creative solution. It isn't a perfect solution, there are some bugs to work out, but it's real creative! :D :emoji_thumbsup: It's things like this that help drive the creative juices of other folks and something good will come out of it. Go team!
Another thing, just for clarity...whenever I teach a friend or a willing stranger about the virtues of widescreen, I never tell them that P&S is the wrong way to watch a movie. First I recognize that they are enthusiastic about watching movies...hey, who isn't. Then I tell them about the shape of the movie screen and how it's different than their TV at home. I explain that in order to get that "rectangular" shaped movie to fit their "square" TV they have to cut out some of the picture. I'm not trying to convince them they're wrong...I'm just trying to get them to see the light and realize that something is missing. I'm basically trying to convert them from watching "videos" at home to watching "movies" at home. Turning them from a video enthusiast to a home theater enthusiast.
So why bother? Because as the number of people that prefer to watch only OAR increases, sooner or later the studios will see that, by default, all movies should be released to video in OAR. As Ron said, right now there is debate within the studios regarding widescreen releases. This just isn't right. It doesn't make sense to me. There should be no question that all movies are released OAR. Instead of asking, "Should we release this movie in widescreen, so the enthusiasts will enjoy it?" they should be making a decision whether or not to add a P&S version. I'm just sickened and appalled that studio execs even question the OAR releases!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks