What's new

What receiver would you recommend? (1 Viewer)

Dave.Zeb

Grip
(I could really use some serious help here folks, rather befuddled right now) ...To drive the PSB Stratus Series. I'm looking to purchase a solid receiver that will be versatile with regards to adding seperate amps at a later date, but will be sufficient solo until then for solid/clean performance. (running 5.1 silveris, C6 and mini's)

The main issue here is that the speakers are 4 ohm speakers, and after spending hours reading spec sheets, I can't seem to find a receiver rated specifically down to 4 ohm loads. All I seem to see are the industry standard 8 ohm, and the usual 'sales pitch' rating at 6 ohms, in order enable exaggerated power ratings on sales/promo sheets.

One rather large fear I have about the purchase of a new receiver is the possible distortion I might get with my 4 ohm speakers. example: an amp might have .05 %THD at 8ohms, then .7 %thd at 6 ohms. Now that's a major magnitude(4x?) of distortion increase just going from 8 to 6 ohms. I don't have my sceintific calculater handy(wouldn't know how to derive it anywho) but I hesitate to think about the THD for most amps when driving 4 ohm speakers. guessing if we go another 4x, I'd be looking at a a crazy distortion of about 10 %THD???

Talk about scarey, and I hope I'm completely wrong. I hope more informed people out there than myself can spare a few minutes to jump in and educate me on how best to proceed from here.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well how much can you spend? I would suggest looking at a Harman/Kardon AVR-525 or AVR-7200 if you can spend a decent amount of money. Good luck on your decision... but I think without spending a whole ton of money the HK would definantly deliver what you need.

Dave.Zeb

Grip
Looking at around $800 or so max. Just saw that NAD rates it's receivers for 4ohms with low distortion, but they are a bit pricier than I want to go right now. As well, I haven't heard much about their quality, only that they are marketed with PSB. Would be curious if anyone had particular thoughts about them.

As for the HK, I've been eyeing the 7200, but it states no specs for 4 ohms, and I worry about that. Also eyeing the Denon 3803, but again the same issue arises, that being rapidly rising distortion pushing a 4 ohm speaker.

I know I should spend more, and plan to a year or 2 from now, just looking for an interum receiver, or one that will hold it's own and then I can put more money on seperate amps instead of having to upgrade my receiver twice. Not to mention, 2 years from now, who knows what new format will be the desired spec for HT. Right now, true 7.1 can only be had at prices beyond my imagination, but that could easily change in 2 years.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Well, if you're looking at the Denon 3803, you might as well check out Yamaha's RX-V2400 which is suppedly stable down to 2 ohms. I couldn't tell ya what it's distortion is at 4ohms though, but you can read all about it here.

- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks