What's new

What is important to me in a release (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Complete, uncut, good quality episodes. First and foremost. If the show ran originally 50:15, I want it at 50:15. As for extras, the only 2 things I possibly care about are the pilot episode, if it was from another series or if it was unaired. Or maybe if there was a longer version as if oftentimes the case. That's it. About the only other extra I have an interest in would be original commercials, as were included on the last Naked City box set. I couldn't care less about commentaries, documentaries, outtakes or anything else. If they want to throw in an interview with a performer, fine, but it's not something I really care about. The artwork and the boxes mean absolutely nothing whatsoever. Just give me the shows as they aired and I'm a happy guy.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
My priorities in descending order:

1.) Completeness (ITA with Michael about running length. And I'd rather a dvd be held up than released with missing scenes).

2.) High transfer with restoration work if needed. If you're going to produce a dvd, then you should make it be a better viewing experience than what the networks originally showed. Not a lessened experience.

3.) Commentaries by cast and crew, especially in releases of classic tv, when I find the commentaries are a nice historical tool in putting those old shows in perspective. If the cast is still alive, track 'em down. I prefer cast commentaries to director's commentaries. In many cases, the director will either narrate the damn story, shot by shot, or bore you while trying to impress you with his tales of technical expertise. The casts generally add a little humor, get chatty, and relate anecdotes of the filming. That's what I wanna hear.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
My priorities:

Uncut episodes

Video and audio as good as they can be

Extras- Its exciting to have good content like the commentaries on The Simpsons or the Inside Looks and text commentaries on Seinfeld, but for some reason I don't care as much about supplements on DVD as I do about them on movies. Maybe its because of the general quality of TV supplements that I've seen so far and the amount of content you get for the price.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
My personal priority order would be:

1. Complete Uncut Episodes in OAR. Including full length pilots, unaired pilots or episodes

2. Picture and Sound Quality

3. Season (or half season) sets. I like my shows in order not "best of" mixes (although I'll buy best of mixes for shows I really like if its the only way to get them).

4. Packaging, I like nice slim designed DVD boxes with good artwork. In fact as an example the recent farcical size of the Dr. Who New Series (R2) season set box (its larger on the outside than inside) left me buying "vanilla" versions of the episodes rather than the season set with extra commentaries / documentaries.

5. Outtakes and linked material e.g. "Stamp Day for Superman" the in character promo advert George Reeves did.

6. Commentaries if these are well done. Some commentators seem to have no clue and just sit there saying nothing.

7. Documentaries

Recent Good Examples (IMHO)

Adventures of Superman Season 1
Stargate Atlantis Season 1

Recent Bad Examples (IMHO)

Stargate SG-1 Season 8 (poor packaging i.e unnecessarily large)
Forever Knight Season 2 (poor picture quality)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks