What's new

What do you think the chances of one these sitcoms having a complete series release? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Thank u for this information because I had no idea it was another release by Mill Creek. Hopefully Mill Creek can finish and complete the rest of the series like they did Good Times

Except that Shout! already did. Mill Creek only had the rights to whatever Sony put out already.

Real Name
Solomon
What other type of complete series set is there?

Only one type exists to the best of my knowledge. Those that compile the entire series on DVD into one package. The Mary Tyler Moore Show saw just such a release.

A separate set that includes the entire series with a added bonus disc

Not individual seasons that was already released combined into a set

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
CBS/Paramount recently dumped multi season sets that had been sold at Walmart to Big Lots. Things like the 1st 4 seasons of the Beverly Hillbillies, 1st 4 seasons of Dynasty (original), 1st 3 Seasons of Petticoat Junction, 1st 5 seasons of Laverne and Shirley and several CSI series, I Love Lucy (1-5), Criminal Minds. I think any of the these series that haven't been completed will have less of a chance of completion now that CBS/Paramount are clearing out the earlier seasons. On the other hand if you haven't purchased them, these multiseaon sets are priced mostly at $10 to $15 so a really good bargain. "I Love Lucy" was the most expensive at $20 for the first 5 Seasons.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's my post in the "Big Lots Bargains" thread with a full list of what showed up at the store here:

That was almost a month ago and all I recall seeing last Friday during a quick trip were a few of the CSI sets.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
Here's my post in the "Big Lots Bargains" thread with a full list of what showed up at the store here:

That was almost a month ago and all I recall seeing last Friday during a quick trip were a few of the CSI sets.
That’s mostly what mine had, although they did have 4400 the complete series and Numbers Seasons 1-4 as well.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Apologies, but I am confused as to which show you are referring to here?

Diff’rent Strokes. Sorry if I wasn’t clearer. Two of the hour long episodes in question were crossovers with Hello, Larry, still MIA on disc and likely to be so for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Diff’rent Strokes. Sorry if I wasn’t clearer. Two of the hour long episodes in question were crossovers with Hello, Larry, still MIA on disc and likely to be so for the foreseeable future.

Thank you, I had forgotten about the one-hour shows. I have the original releases for those early seasons and didn't realize there was an issue, appreciate the heads up.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Mary Tyler Moore Show was not so lucky to have its cut music restored for its box set even when one of the cut scenes had already been on a VHS tape release years ago!

There was also an attempt by Disney to compile all 7 seasons of The Golden Girls into a box that looked like Sophia's purse! That had no bonus disc.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Season one of Murphy Brown was released on DVD over a decade ago. No word on whether or not the remaining nine seasons (ten if you count the short-lived revival last season) will be released, but there's probably good reason why the show won't sell today.

The Drew Carey Show lasted a staggering nine seasons (1995-2004), but only the first season and a six-episode "Television Favorites" sampler have been released. Allegedly, music clearance rights are the main factor.

The Hogan Family ran six seasons but is probably remembered for Valerie Harper's firing and the lawsuit that followed. I don't know how much demand there is for this show, but I have a feeling it will have a better shot being released than Drew Carey.

I thought Chico and the Man would end up with Shout! since they ended up with Welcome Back Kotter. Guess not.

The Murphy Brown reboot was a bust and the music rights issues keeping the original off DVD have not been solved. No one wants a version bereft of music.

[On The Hogan Family] Warner Archives pulled out the "music rights" excuse to explain its absence rather than their firing Val because they wanted her husband, Tony Cacciotti, who was a producer during the seasons she was on when a company called TAL Productions got an in-credit notice. This implies they still own a part of it. I presume Tony inherited any rights Val had to the show and Warner doesn't want to make a deal with him any more than Lorimar-Telepictures did. I would gladly buy it though I have no interest in most of Miller-Boyett's other post-Garry Marshall works. I suppose an HD remaster like Perfect Strangers got that is now on iTunes would be too much to ask for?

Source: [1]

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And I'm not sure the release of Head of the Class will change matters for those shows. That didn't have the legal ownership nightmare that comes from firing the star of a star vehicle whose name is in the title (until they were legally forced to change the name twice), but it did have music rights issues for certain episodes. Except it was on half as long as Murphy Brown so solving those issues would theoretically cost less money (it honestly depends on the song, who owns it, and the context of its use). And unlike Chico and the Man, the late-run cast changes were not because of anyone committing suicide.

Last edited:

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
If Shout Factory has not done a complete Rhoda set by now, then my guess is that is not gonna happen. They should do it and correct the botched up season 1 but again, probably not in the cards.

Ditto Chico and the Man. If Warner Brothers hasn't done it through Warner Archive or licensed it out, then it's not gonna happen. If you want to see some of it, then that long out of print 'Best of' DVD is the only way to go.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If Shout Factory has not done a complete Rhoda set by now, then my guess is that is not gonna happen. They should do it and correct the botched up season 1 but again, probably not in the cards.

Disney's ownership of MTM through Fox makes that card a wild card at this point. The virus has left them in a challenging place financially since it cut them off from sources of income that depended on crowds. Home video is not such a medium. You can watch it in a group or by yourself. But all that's left of that is the last season and a corrected first season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks