What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What are you binging? (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
LOST

Apparently my teenage son's girl 'friend' is already on Season 3 and he needs to catch up. Cue Dad's BD box set and some serious family binging. I think the most I've ever binged a show previously is about 2 or 3 episodes, but we've hit 5 in one day a couple times already during his Christmas break. And it's been a treat.

Here's what I've rediscovered revisiting this series: Get over any pouting disappointments about the resolution of this series (no spoilers here). Any good show, like life itself, is essentially about the journey and not the destination. Understand that this show was primarily an ANTHOLOGY show, with a mythology tacked on (the mythology episodes in The X-Files were also always the least interesting to me).

The true value of LOST comes from the character stories within each episode, which were always terrific in a O'Henry twist sort of way. The acting, writing and directing and the beautiful cinematography are all top notch. There are a lot of filler episodes, and there is no doubt in my mind that, besides the initial concept, premise and probably resolution, the writers were basically making it up as they went along. How can you do otherwise when you have 25 episodes a season to produce? But enjoy each episode as it's own jewel of characters you don't mind spending time with. And for us, during the break, some serious binging.

On a side note, I ran into a woman at the pharmacy who said she and her husband were binging Breaking Bad and had seen as many as 6 episodes in one day. I know this is a common occurrence for viewers who were catching up with the show, but that show is so expertly tense and suspenseful, I can't imagine my nerves holding out for that many episodes in a day. I hope she was picking up some Xanax.

So what are you binging, and what has it revealed to you about the show?

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Binging -- A period of excessive or uncontrolled indulgence

Is this what you meant by the word? :D

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
stuartfanning said:

Yep, that's it. Relative to TV series here, of course, and not macaroons, pistachios, Pepperidge Farm cookies, pumpkin pie or beer.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
stuartfanning said:

Yep, pretty much--Now that broadcast at a certain hour each week is basically extinct, and everyone gets their shows from Tivo, Hulu and disk, "my usual Tuesday-night thing" has now been replaced by gorging on two, three or four episodes at a time, like macaroons or pistachios.

I was watching a New Year's wrap-up of "2014 trends", and the hosts were also a bit bemused that '14 had turned the television industry into "The Year of the Binge", and networks now even advertise "Catch up on the last season in time for fall!", as if encouraging the behavior. (Or pretending to, to kiss up.)

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Last week HBO put up the complete The Wire series, dedicating one day to each of its five seasons (12-13 episodes each). hadn't seen the series but had read lots of great things about it and was completely hooked. Couldn't see every episode because I had to do other secondary things like eat, bath and sleep, but did see most. Now I find I can't quite watch almost any other 'crime' show, as they all seem so superficial and formulaic. Certainly one of the best series ever.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've been watching about 2 episodes of Batman every day since getting the set and almost at the end. The new season of Parks And Recreation starts in a couple weeks so I finally got around to watching the S6 DVDs to see those episodes again.

Back in November, I went through The Sopranos Blu-ray set in a few weeks. It had been years since I had seen the show and it blew me away again.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I are currently rolling through season one of The Good Wife.

Santa brought us all five seasons at Christmas. I got hooked during the stellar season five.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mike Frezon said:
My wife and I are currently rolling through season one of The Good Wife.

Santa brought us all five seasons at Christmas. I got hooked during the stellar season five.
Why isn't this show out on Blu-ray? We'd like to go through this show at some point, but if it's just SD, I'll look for it on Netflix.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Enjoying reading this thread Hollywoodaholic!

For myself, a binge session would be 4 - 6 episodes of a half hour show...maybe 3 of an hour show...just my preference...

Right now, I'm rediscovering how brilliant Sgt. Bilko, the Phil Silvers Show was...consistently funny and laugh out loud...

From more recent times, I'm enjoying Comedy Central's Drunk History...laughing out loud, and perhaps enhanced by a glass or two of wine...

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Totally into The Blacklist and The Walking Dead, at the moment. Awesome shows, I watch pretty much exclusively classic TV usually but these two have grabbed me which is a pleasant surprise. Early on it was like three or four episodes at a time, shows these days are only 42 minutes anyway so that's doable, only the further one gets into the seasons and the less episodes left the fewer it'll have to be at a time. So now it's no more than two episodes at a time, which is how I do it anyway with the 50 minute classics. Half-hour shows I mostly do three, if the series is 'endless' like say Have Gun Will Travel...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I typically keep 1 hour length program and 1 half hour length program in rotation, normally watching a entire disc's worth of episodes in a session (or at least the entire disc before swapping it out).

Currently viewing: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - S2 and Batman - S2. I'm a bit over half-way through each.

On tap: The Tudors - S1 or Vikings - S1 and You'll Never Get Rich (aka Sgt. Bilko) or Mister Ed.

Of course my mood could change before starting the "on tap" series...

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
The Virginian - Over the last month, I've watched all of season 1, and am currently in the middle of season 2. I've purchased the first 5 seasons, and if my interest is still strong by that point, I'll continue on with the purchases. Since the episodes are 75 minutes in length, it takes a while to get thru a season. :P

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
jim_falconer said:
The Virginian - Over the last month, I've watched all of season 1, and am currently in the middle of season 2. I've purchased the first 5 seasons, and if my interest is still strong by that point, I'll continue on with the purchases. Since the episodes are 75 minutes in length, it takes a while to get thru a season. :P
I have a ritual re-watching this series coming home Saturday after working out, plop on the sofa and head back to Medicine Bow for 75 minutes. But I only do one a week to stretch it out. Maybe another thread should be "What are you SAVORING" - meaning a series you are stretching watching one at a time or once a week to enjoy more. I'm on the 8th season of The Virginian following this ritual for a few years now. Did Alfred Hitchcock Presents Sixth Season this way, and am very slowly going through Maverick (bye bye to the Garner episodes, sigh) and The Rockford Files (only up to Season 3, long way to go).

It seems like newer shows I tend to plow through and the classics are for savoring.

But a good western like The Virginian just hits me on a just chillin' back Saturday afternoon.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
LOST loses it rapidly starting in the third season. You can feel the creators and writers grasping at how to keep the mysteries flowing. And they abandon the formula that was working so well for them in the first two seasons: what I call a "Barbara Walters" moment around the 37-40 minute mark of every episode where they've built to a big emotional moment or montage designed to evoke a tear; the last 30-second sudden appearance of new intriguing information as a cliffhanger. But most importantly, the sudden need to feel like they have to amp up the pace, like they don't trust the emotional backstories enough. It just becomes another silly action show. Jack and Kate (suddenly in a sexy dress) breaking rocks in the hot sun. WTF?

My son was transfixed through the first two seasons, but now his restless legs are just twitching. I know there are random good episodes still coming, but I understand now why Jeff "Doc" Jensen, who used to write the epic-length 8-11 page intensely detailed recaps and analysis online for Entertainment Weekly, more recently said he saw no reason to revisit the series. I think he finally grasped he devoted WAY too much of his life and energy into what is, essentially, just a well done television show meant for timely consumption and move on. Either that or he read one of my posts which said he should be devoting that much creativity and time into creating his own content. He did. He's the co-writer on Brad Bird's upcoming sci-fi epic starring George Clooney, Tomorrowland.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
To balance out the LOST binge-watching, my wife and I are doing two The Wonder Years at a time. Can you imagine this show without the music? It's not possible. Thank God they got as much cleared as possible. But in the years they were gathering the clearances for the songs, why couldn't they have thrown a little love to re-mastering the episodes? They're pretty soft, even up-scaled. It doesn't dampen my enjoyment of a great show, though. Holds up beautifully. But I don't remember any 12-year old in my junior high ever being that obsessed with girls already or getting so much action (Holding hands? Hickeys? Kissing? - yikes. I guess many of the writers were from California, where a 12 year-old is like a 19 year-old anywhere else).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
LOST loses it rapidly starting in the third season. You can feel the creators and writers grasping at how to keep the mysteries flowing. And they abandon the formula that was working so well for them in the first two seasons: what I call a "Barbara Walters" moment around the 37-40 minute mark of every episode where they've built to a big emotional moment or montage designed to evoke a tear; the last 30-second sudden appearance of new intriguing information as a cliffhanger.
By the third season, the flashbacks had run their course (you can only find out that Locke was paralyzed once :) ) so you're left with far less emotional material (like the origin of Jack's tattoos or Desmond saying "brother") and the show slowed down. That's why the producers went to ABC & begged them to let them to plan an end date for the show. Once they knew how much time they had left, they moved on to the next phase of their story and the show arguably had its best season with S4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks