What's new

Apple All-In-One Services: What Would You Pay (if at all)? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

So, there's finally more information leaking out about Apple wanting to combine all its services into one subscription package.

Apple TV+ Apple News and Apple Arcade

I kind of wonder what price they could offer that would entice someone to subscribe to all three.

I have no interest in Arcade however I could see myself trying it and perhaps liking it as a way of passing time.

I have tried Apple News and while it has a great selection of magazines, I get more information from the Internet in a more timely manner. I canceled my subscription after 6 months. I pay a separate yearly subscription for MAC LIFE magazine.

Apple TV+ was initially really great, but there is less programming I am interested in and with COVID-19 there are less original shows to watch. I had to planned to cancel it once the free year was up. I might pay for it for a single month just to binge-watch a new show.

All these services, separately, would cost $19.97 per month.

My guess is that Apple could get all three down to $14.99 per month.

I don't think I would move at that price.

If they got it down to $9.99 per month for all three they would definitely have me as a subscriber. I do realize, however, that is a long-shot but not out-of-bounds for what Apple could offer.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I didn't even include Apple Music in that scenario. I didn't initially notice it was even being considered. I figured the royalties Apple pays out would make it difficult to discount. However, it's very possible.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Hard pass. I’m not interested in any of their services. I already get Apple Music free with my Verizon unlimited plan and the other three offerings are worthless to me.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
No interest here either. I've got no need for Apple Arcade or paid Apple News.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe? Depends.

I’m currently over saturated on entertainment options. I’m interested in some aTV+ shows, but I’ve got five other streaming services I can’t watch all of.

I’m interested in some Arcade games, but I’ve got a Switch I don’t have time to play much.

Apple Music is of some interest to me and my wife, but not worth the price as is for us.

News is the one service I actively dislike. The app is bleh. It always gives me junk I don’t want. — so much gossip and celebrity gossip and not enough what I do want. And I subscribe to WaPo and NYT digital already.

icloud, I pay for.

So, a package the makes sense $$$-wise for TV, Music, Arcade, and icloud could get my money. But it’s low low on my list for 2020.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Then why are you even in this forum /boggle
Saw the question in the side bar of recent posts and dropped by to answer. I didn't think it was an exclusionary question... ;)

FWIW - I do manage a couple of thousand Macbook and iPad systems at work...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Hadn’t read the pricing previously. If it’s $45 discounted to $40, then I don’t see getting it. If pricing magically came out like Gruber wishfully proposes, I’d probably get it without much thought.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If they got it down to $9.99 per month for all three they would definitely have me as a subscriber. I do realize, however, that is a long-shot but not out-of-bounds for what Apple could offer.
That would be a no-brainer for me at that sweet price. Otherwise, not sure I would bite.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That would be a no-brainer for me at that sweet price. Otherwise, not sure I would bite.

One thing I did not take into account in my original post was Apple Music.

There are too many royalties involved. There is no way that Apple would offer all those services, including Apple Music for $10 a month.

I do think there will be different tiers of services offered hopefully with more iCloud storage included in the bundles.

Speaking of which -- and this has been said many times before -- Apple needs to readjust their prices on iCloud storage.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

So, there's finally more information leaking out about Apple wanting to combine all its services into one subscription package.

Apple TV+ Apple News and Apple Arcade

I kind of wonder what price they could offer that would entice someone to subscribe to all three.

The ad-free aspect of Apple TV is very attractive, but I'm not sure that Apple TV+ carries many shows that I'd want to watch. Apple Arcade sounds interesting, but I don't have much hardware that is compatible with it.

That leaves Apple Music, Apple News, and Kindle Unlimited. Apple Music sounds interesting – but I have a big iTunes Library full of purchased music (most from CDs). There were some old reports of an alleged bug in iTunes Music that would cause it to overwrite (delete) purchased music from the library. I wouldn't want to try iTunes Music unless I was sure that I was running a version of iTunes that did not have this bug.

The paper that I used to rely on for national and world news has been in a state of decline. So I took out an electronic subscription to the Washington Post. It's going to cost a bit more ($40 this year, $150 next year), but the amount and quality of the journalism seems to be worth it. Apple News and Kindle Unlimited might round the "package" out nicely by providing access to more newspapers, many magazines, and many books.

I think that if you're in the market for "all you can eat" news / books / magazine subscriptions, price is a consideration, but it is by no means, the most important consideration. Selection and quality are very important considerations – and you might get the best results there by subscribing to two or three "all you can eat" plans.

This bundle prompted me to subscribe to Apple TV+, along with Showtime and CBS All Access (premium, no commercials): $14.98 a month for all three services.

Actually, I am saving an additional $10 a year by subscribing annually to Apple TV+ for $49.99; then Showtime and CBS All Access for $9.99 a month.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just signed up for Apple One Premier, the $30/mo top tier plan.

As of tomorrow, I would have have: 2TB iCloud ($10), Music ($15), TV ($5). Comes to $30/mo. So switch to One for same price. Don't know if I care about News or Fitness. But get them for free now.

And can cancel Backblaze subscriptions since iCloud provides same essential protection. That goes from $12/mo (for two of us) to $10/mo, so a modest $2/mo savings there.

So this is net win for us right now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

If Apple Music wasn't included with my Verizon wireless plan (their top tier) I would think about getting Apple One Premier.

My Verizon plan also includes Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN

You also get Apple News which I kind of miss. I liked the selections of magazines.

Interesting point you brought up...

Can iCloud work like Backblaze and automatically back up your entire Mac -and- iOS devices?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You also get Apple Arcade w/ any of the Apple One plans, but that may be of (nearly) zero interest, especially given how lacking it seems...

I'll probably get Apple One Family before too long since the 200GB iCloud seems enough (so far... although I suppose that could change)...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple iCloud storage doesn’t work like Backblaze in that it’s not a rolling backup. And it doesn’t store prior versions of data for recovery from accidental deletion AFAIK.

But it answers my key concern: automated online data repository of all personal data and photos in case home burns down and computers and backup drives are lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks