What's new
World Wide Stereo

What are some good receiver brands to look into? (1 Viewer)

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
I'm almost done with my main theater, just need to upgrade the TV and get all new cables. Here is what consist of my main theater.

Main Theater

Receiver: Denon AVR-4802
Mains: B&W DM602 S3
Center: B&W LCR60 S3
Rears: B&W DM600 S3
Sub: SVS 20-39PCi
TV: Sony Wega KV-24FV12 24" (Upgrading)
DVD Player: Denon 2900
Interconnections: Monster Cable

I would like to use different brands in my computer room theater than I use in my main theater. I'm going to use Paradigm Monitor Series all around if this helps. Problem is I don't know what brands to look into. Anyone have any recommendations?

728x90

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well I don't know what your budget is? I'm assuming you don't want to crazy, probably stick to around $300 i'm assuming.

I would look into the Harman/Kardon AVR-125. It's a great entry-level reciever. It's basic and includes enough power for anything in a medium size room.

It also has a nice face panel. www.soundcity.com sells it, although I think there price went up to $208 or something like that. Some people know other places to get it but i'm not sure where to find the AVR-125 but there anymore.

Also, it is a refurbished unit. Harman has one of the best product supports I have seen for anything I have ever bought. A few people on here had products out of warranty that broke and Harman gave them credit towards a new reciever... how much better can it get?

I've also heard of people having recievers with problems still in warranty and getting the newer models!

good luck on your decision.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
The Onkyo recommendation is sound, there is also Integra. I'd also recommend Marantz and NAD. Rotel could be another option. With Paradigm's I would generally stay away from Sony or Yamaha, just as I find those combos too bright sounding. But, YMMV. :)

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Here's the deal. I spent $650 and I was able to get two pair of Mini Monitor's and CC-350 for the center. All in great shape and a great deal. I could have easily spent this amount if not more buying some JBL speakers at Best Buy but instead I got these great speakers. I know about Paradigm sounding bright because I use to own some Paradigm speakers in a previous setup but I still think there great sounding speakers. I didn't spend alot but I didn't buy anything cheap either. These are the kind of deal's I'm looking for. I already had a second sub I wasn't using so no money spent there. I'll be using my Cerwin Vega that was replaced with the SVS. Like I said I still need to upgrade the TV in the main theater once I do this I'll have the 24" Sony Wega for this theater. All I need to worry about now is a receiver and DVD player. I want to spend about $500-$700 on a receiver and around $300 on a DVD player. I definitely don't have problems buying these used. So I hope this gives you guys an idea of what I want. I don't want nothing crazy but I don't want something I can buy at Best Buy or what not because I know I can do better for the money.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Hey Ferdinand,

I have harmon kardon with paradigm monitors and vote for that setup...plus you can come listen for yourself:)

i would say HK525 and a pioneer 563A dvd player should do the trick

oh yeah, i hope you are practicing!!!

Mike

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Practice! I don't need no stinking practice! Hehe! Harmon Kardon was on the list but I was worried about the low wattage. If you recommending them I'll have to look into some more. Plus I don't think I'll need as much power since I'm not getting the Monitor 7's anymore due to problems trying to have them delivered.

Jon Oliva

Agent
Harman Kardon's watt ratings are very honest and are for all channels driven - most manufacturers are fuzzy about that. Also, I've heard they have some good higher current ratings which help pump out the sound...

John S

Senior HTF Member
The 3803 Denon deal at 6ave. is hard to beat as well...

$640 to your door.....

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Ferdinand, I think most people get very confused about wattage. The bottom line is a reciever is basically an amplifier not a wattifier. The watts do come into the equation but the more amps the better you're going to be.

Also, most recievers rating themselves at about 80W at the $300 and lower range usually won't output more than about 35W in true results... the reason?

Most manufacturers will rate it using only one speaker. So using on channel they may be able to achieve that 80W, factor 5 channels into the mix and you have a severe drop in performance... Unfortunatly that is how the goverment regulates it. Of course HK will rate it all channel driven with a full 20Hz-20KHz signal going through it. Much more honest which is why you see lower numbers. In any case, you probably won't push much more than 30-35W through there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks