What's new

Need some advice on buying a Receiver (1 Viewer)

Alejolas

Auditioning
Real Name
Alejandro Arango
Hi everyone!

I need some help setting up my home theater system and some advice from all you that know a lot more than I do.

I have an old Klipsch home theater audio system composed of:
  1. RW-8 Subwoofer link to product description
  2. RC-25 Center Speaker link to product description
  3. RS-25 Surround Speakers X2 link to product description
  4. RSX-4 Bookshelf Speakers X2 link to product description
And they were all connected to an old Yamaha RX-V2090 Link to manual

My question is: I want to update the old Yamaha RX-V2090 to handle more modern stuff like Bluetooth, HDMI connections and so on... But for those speakers (which have worked REALLY well for the last two decades) which modern AV receiver should I get? The max I can spend on this is $1000. Also, it's been ages since I don't mess with those connections between the receiver and the speakers and I'm going to move them to another place in the house and I will need to reconnect them all again. What cable is really good for this? What gauge? Brand?

Any help will be greatly greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The first question you should be asking yourself is what kind of surround do you want. Because at the moment, a Yamaha RX-V385 will work perfectly fine with your 5.1 speaker setup.

As for wiring, I find Monoprice 102747 to be particularly good quality for its price.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, Monoprice 14ga is a good way to go. Klipsch speakers are easy to drive, so find the receiver that has the features you want. I’d go Yamaha, Denon or a Marantz refurb.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On that note, you can get a Yamaha 1080 refurb for $800.

Alejolas

Auditioning
Real Name
Alejandro Arango
Thank you all for your replies!

The first question you should be asking yourself is what kind of surround do you want. Because at the moment, a Yamaha RX-V385 will work perfectly fine with your 5.1 speaker setup.

As for wiring, I find Monoprice 102747 to be particularly good quality for its price.

As for this question I'm not sure what type of surround I would like... Haven't thought about it... I just know I have those 2 surround speakers and the typical config for those two is at the back probably hanging from the wall.. Is that still a valid setup nowadays? If it is, should I go with that setup? Or can I use those two surround speakers as something else?

Yeah, Monoprice 14ga is a good way to go. Klipsch speakers are easy to drive, so find the receiver that has the features you want. I’d go Yamaha, Denon or a Marantz refurb.

Ok thanks! So Monoprice 14 gauge will suffice my speakers and my possible new receiver?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thank you all for your replies!

As for this question I'm not sure what type of surround I would like... Haven't thought about it... I just know I have those 2 surround speakers and the typical config for those two is at the back probably hanging from the wall.. Is that still a valid setup nowadays? If it is, should I go with that setup? Or can I use those two surround speakers as something else?
Actually, with a 5.1 system the surrounds are supposed to go to the sides (maybe just slightly behind) the viewing position. then, if you expand to 7.1, you add another pair behind the viewer. Very common mistake, but I guarantee that moving the surround speakers to the sides will make a pleasant improvement.

So, with your current setup you only need a 5.1 receiver, but I'd probably go ahead with at least a 7.1 so you can add front Atmos or rear surround speakers. 9.1 receivers bring a substantial price increase, so that's a tougher move.

Ok thanks! So Monoprice 14 gauge will suffice my speakers and my possible new receiver?
There's no harm with stepping up to 12ga, IF the speakers connectors can accept them. Not necessarily any improvement, but it's a cheap difference. Just don't waste $ on fancy wire. Monoprice OFC stranded is just fine. Buy it in bulk and cut and strip it yourself.

Alejolas

Auditioning
Real Name
Alejandro Arango
Actually, with a 5.1 system the surrounds are supposed to go to the sides (maybe just slightly behind) the viewing position. then, if you expand to 7.1, you add another pair behind the viewer. Very common mistake, but I guarantee that moving the surround speakers to the sides will make a pleasant improvement.

So, with your current setup you only need a 5.1 receiver, but I'd probably go ahead with at least a 7.1 so you can add front Atmos or rear surround speakers. 9.1 receivers bring a substantial price increase, so that's a tougher move.

There's no harm with stepping up to 12ga, IF the speakers connectors can accept them. Not necessarily any improvement, but it's a cheap difference. Just don't waste $ on fancy wire. Monoprice OFC stranded is just fine. Buy it in bulk and cut and strip it yourself.

Ace!! Thanks a lot! I'll take ur advice and go with a 7.1 receiver then! Now for the final one: Which 7.1 do you recommend with modern Bluetooth, HDMI, and so on... I like Yamaha but no idea which models could work, you guys mentioned the Yamaha 1080 and also the RX-V385... any other particularly good?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can't help you with stuff like bluetooth, which I don't use, but most receivers today have AirPlay 2 as well as other streaming capabilities.

So, I'm a big bargain hunter and believer in certified refurbs, which A4L is a great source for.

going down what I see currently available...

Yamaha RX-A1080 is a solid value at $800

Denon AVR-X2700 is a more economical option at $650.

The Marantz SR6013 gets you the flexibility of 9.2 at $900

Or, go one model newer with the Marantz SR6014 at an even $1K.

I'm not sure there's a real-world difference between the SR6013 and SR6014, but $100 more for a newer model isn't a bad deal.

Personally, I'd probably lean toward one of the Marantz models. Thinking in the long term

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Ace!! Thanks a lot! I'll take ur advice and go with a 7.1 receiver then! Now for the final one: Which 7.1 do you recommend with modern Bluetooth, HDMI, and so on... I like Yamaha but no idea which models could work, you guys mentioned the Yamaha 1080 and also the RX-V385... any other particularly good?
Pretty much every Yamaha made in the last 7-8 years has Bluetooth built in so the bare minimum will work. Its things like having a built in wifi receiver to connect to the internet and work with Yamaha's own music streaming services and Alexa that changes the model more or less.

As for HDMI...if you're going to buy used, whatever you do DO NOT buy a Yamaha with a 7 in the tens column of the model number. With the the exception of the RX-V379 (and on that one it was only on one input) those do not support HDCP2.2 so for plugging in external HDMI devices that are 4k you'd have to plug them directly into your TV and output via ARC which is more trouble than its worth.

My personal opinion? I don't give a crap about speaker counts above 5.1 so I'm perfectly happy with my RX-V383. But if you want to upgrade further in the future and have money to burn, by all means go for one that will allow upwards of 11.2*.

*although the extra sub is stupid and pointless IMHO.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Actually the side surrounds in a 5.1 is now 110-120 degrees according to dolbys website diagram in the speaker setup guides. So it's both to the sides and behind.

As for 7 channels. Yamaha rxv 685 is previous model and the v6a is the current model

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Regarding speaker cables, I would recommend adding banana plugs to whichever size cables (14ga or 12ga) you decide. While this will not provide any improvement to the audio, they are a huge convenience, IMO. It can be difficult to thread speaker wire into the densely-packed binding posts of modern receivers. Banana plugs make this as simple as plugging in any other cable. Also, if you install the plugs on both ends of the cable, it's much easier to match the positive and negative connections to avoid connecting the speakers out of phase.

Others have recommended Monoprice for the speaker cables. They also sell 5 packs of banana plugs for $10, so twenty bucks would cover both ends of your 5.1 speaker setup.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
animal house reject GIF by Puffin Graphic Design

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I have a Sony 90J OLED, a Sony 4K UBPX700 player, and a Yamaha HTR-3066 surround sound system. As the amp does not pass through 4K I am connecting the audio from the player directly to the amp via HDMI and video directly to tv, also by HDMI. In the last nine months or so I keep having problems with the audio getting out of synch. I have considered maybe upgrading the amp to a Yamaha RX-V385 which seems to have the same basic features except that it includes the ability to pass thru 4K along with Dolby Vision and HDR-10. This way I could pass the audio and video directly through the amp. Of course that would probably also mean I could only use the player when the amp is on. I have tried a variety of things including upgrading the HDMI cables that go to the amp and tv. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks