What's new

Need some advice on buying a Receiver (1 Viewer)

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
I have a Sony 90J OLED, a Sony 4K UBPX700 player, and a Yamaha HTR-3066 surround sound system. As the amp does not pass through 4K I am connecting the audio from the player directly to the amp via HDMI and video directly to tv, also by HDMI. In the last nine months or so I keep having problems with the audio getting out of synch. I have considered maybe upgrading the amp to a Yamaha RX-V385 which seems to have the same basic features except that it includes the ability to pass thru 4K along with Dolby Vision and HDR-10. This way I could pass the audio and video directly through the amp. Of course that would probably also mean I could only use the player when the amp is on. I have tried a variety of things including upgrading the HDMI cables that go to the amp and tv. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!
Only if you are unwilling to go with Dolby atmos as that's 5.1 maximum quantity of speakers.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Only if you are unwilling to go with Dolby atmos as that's 5.1 maximum quantity of speakers.
Given that I live in a small condo Atmos is not in the cards. 5.1 is really about as far as I can go. What I am trying to determine is a solution for the recurring issue of the sound going out of synch. Maybe there is another forum which specifically discusses this but I have not been able to find it.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a Sony 90J OLED, a Sony 4K UBPX700 player, and a Yamaha HTR-3066 surround sound system. As the amp does not pass through 4K I am connecting the audio from the player directly to the amp via HDMI and video directly to tv, also by HDMI. In the last nine months or so I keep having problems with the audio getting out of synch. I have considered maybe upgrading the amp to a Yamaha RX-V385 which seems to have the same basic features except that it includes the ability to pass thru 4K along with Dolby Vision and HDR-10. This way I could pass the audio and video directly through the amp. Of course that would probably also mean I could only use the player when the amp is on. I have tried a variety of things including upgrading the HDMI cables that go to the amp and tv. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!
Jim, a new receiver that can pass 4K should solve the problem. At least it's supposed to, and usually it does. By passing the whole signal through the receiver and enabling "Auto Lip Sync" the receiver will communicate with the TV to determine how much delay, if any, the TV is introducing and the receiver will compensate. In my experience, it typically works.

BTW, it should work even if you don't pass the video through the receiver. The feature still can be used. Some purists believe the video signal is better if it doesn't go through the receiver.

Last edited:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Jim, a new receiver that can pass 4K should solve the problem. At least it's supposed to, and usually it does. By passing the whole signal through the receiver and enabling "Auto Lip Sync" the receiver will communicate with the TV to determine how much delay, if any, the TV is introducing and the receiver will compensate. In my experience, it typically works.

BTW, it should work even if you don't pass the video through the receiver. The feature still can be used. Some purists believe the video signal is better if it doesn't go through the receiver.
Thanks John. Based on what I have seen online about synch issues when things are configured as I have without the new receiver, turning off HDMI controls, any unneeded processing, etc. This seems to have stopped the synch issues for now. It does appear sound synch issues are not uncommon. It is odd in the sense I can go for months without any problems and then it returns. I do make sure that software updates on the tv and the 4k player are installed. My current receiver does not have a way to connect to the internet, so updates to software for that I have never quite been able to figure out.... assuming that there are any. What I have found with the UBPX700 player problems which have appeared in terms of Dolby Vision activated causing playback issues are easily resolved by returning the player to its original settings. But I have even had synch issues when I tried other brands of 4K players. I also have made sure that the HDMI cables used are the highest versions. I will say the 90J is still the most beautiful set I have ever owned. But I guess like any kind of tech things do not always mesh. Thanks again for your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks