What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Bros. – We Want A Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
I can just see it now, late 2002 Warner Brothers and Richard Donner give us the long awaited Director's cut of "Superman 2 SE"

Movie opens with the imprisonment of the villians and Zod screeming for revenge on Jor-el's family after the credits the movie follows on from the first. Superman leaving the prison, "Don't thank me warden we'll part of the same team good night" pan up to see space Superman takes flight over Earth, and smiles all is well or is it?

(Through a montage of scenes like a trailer) We see "The X-K101 rocket" passes the Phantom Zone and then a massive explosion! Three figures head for the moon!

Superman resues an "Eagle", Lois jumps out of the Daily Planet window and screams! Lex Luther escapes, "Jor-el and Superman" arguing?!, "Lois Lane pulls a gun on Clark Kent" Zod says "To rule finally to rule, and you will have everything you want!" Ursa "Men to kill" scene cuts-to Earth! All of a sudden the "Eiffel tower melts", RUSSIA cities burn!, JAPAN People flee, INDIA armies destroyed, fighter jets destroyed!,mountains crushed, "Mount Rushmore is re-organised with the Kryptonians faces" and the Whitehouse falls

The Kryptonians are unstoppable!" vast cities have been destroyed! someone shouts "Superman where are you" Three villains fly over america, Superman in London saving foxes "Don't intelligent men have something else to do besides slaughtering innocent animals",scene cuts to more footage, spining Paper headlines say U.S. Cowers before aliens might! We see Clark Kent being punched in the face! "General Zod tell Earth he is their new ruler" A beaten up Clark Kent screams "FATHER", Footage of the Timesquare battle! footage of the villians flying into the Fortress of Solitude and a brief scene of "Jor-el standing before Clark Kent", "Lois and Clark in Bed together" Zod vows to kill Superman on TV!, Superman overtakes concorde!, "Luther in the Fortress with Eve" more scenes from the "Timesquare battle" "Non is punched backwards into the statue of liberty" Superman throws Zod into coke cola sign!, "Zod destroys the Washington monument" a brief scene shows a Giantic figure head of Jor-el blasting Clark Kent with energy and last scene of "Lois and Superman kiss"!(Trailer ends)

RE-MASTERED and RE-RELEASED with footage never before scene!, THE VERSION YOU WERE MEANT TO SEE Superman 2 the Director's cut The adventure continues!!!

I hope i've stired the imaginations a bit!

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I would like an Donner-approved-cut SE DVD of Superman II. I'd love to see the film as Donner intended it playing on my DVD player, instead of just in my mind. And it would give me an excuse to chuck my current, bare-bones DVD that doesn't even have a 5.1 soundtrack.

There were some scenes Donner shot that I left out in my other post -

All of the scenes on the Moon.

Superman and Lois returning to Metropolis from the fortress of solitude.

All scenes at the diner (where Clark is beaten, and when he gets revenge).

All White House scenes except for the ending and a small scene before Lex meets the villains.

Donner shot so much footage, his cut would be at least 90%. At least.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Time has not been kind to the current version of "Superman II." When I was a kid, I loved it. Now, I put in slightly above the third Superman movie. Dick Donner's version is something we all need.

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
I take it Warner knows of this push to get a "Superman 2 Donner recut" or "Superman 2 SE DVD"! with tons and tons of extras out there from Home Theater Forum right?!
If there is a small possibility HTF can have a live web chat with a Warner representive would it be too much to ask or do we have to petition and get some statement posted to the HTF or www.Darkhorizons.com to say yes or no?
Or if everyone here is serious enough should we form a real petition with a short letter typed up next to it having suggestions and dozens of ideas to Warner brothers letting them know of the fans and movie lovers that a delux "Superman 2 SE DVD" re-mastered in 5.1 DD&DTS and filled with extras covering old and new Documentaries, Trailers, Outtakes, Deleted and alternate scenes, All scripts and storyboards, photogallery, New and Old interviews, isolated John Williams music track, Two versions in widescreen Richard Donner Cut and Richard Lester cut (To avoid arguements)and commentaries from director's or cast members!
If we all want this then maybe the webmaster of HTF can help and organise a petition direct to WB powers to be? set up a webchat or help us send in e-mails to the right place?
There is talk and debate? or there is positive action that be moved forward by us movie loving folk that want to make a difference!
Tomorrow i'm going to post a, thread debate on either sending e-mails to the WB on the "Superman 2 SE" DVD or film situation. That will include putting up suggestions to send to the WB for a Special Edition DVD. Second gathering support from HTF members, and together i hope to get the ball rolling and do something positive instead of just posting? i want to use the power of the internet and reach out to inportant people on the web and make something happen! I don't know if it can be done, but doesn't alot of you members wish your posting here could effect a change and get something to happen!
Petitions are good, but if we want a Superman 2 SE DVD to come out we don't just need to let are voices be heard? we need a major push with some help higher up?
I hope i don't sound too excited about making things take off i just feel posting and just simply waiting for something to come out of the blue is a little out of order?
As of now, i want to be the offical chairman of rallying help from HTF members and supporting "Superman 2 SE Donner cut" in a positive way! I'm going to do that post within one or two days and i want to see how much support we can rally up through posts!!!! (i've been bitten by the positve bug? as i too want to see this happen!) :) :)
I should write an e-mail to the webmaster of this board and see if a live webchat to WB people in charge can do but as for now i'm somewhat fired up now and want to post on this as soon as possible:) :emoji_thumbsup:
Lets get S2 SE out there!:)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Let's find out if Donner wants his footage restored because without him, all this is useless. :frowning:
If he has any interest, then we can push and push. Sometimes Donner says that he wants his footage restored, then other times he doesn't want to be involved.

Chad Miller

Auditioning
I would also enjoy seeing Richard Donner's original vision for Superman II and would certainly by such a release on DVD or VHS.

Chad Miller

Johnathan_B

Auditioning
Count me in as a supporter of the Donner cut of Superman II. A lot of people are clamoring for this version because it is superior to the Lester footage. Lester and the Salkinds just wanted to make a cheaper version of Superman II anyways. I definitely will buy it if it comes out. I know a lot of people who would buy it also.

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
You're right Dharmesh C i should wait just a little, but i am suprised no one thought of getting the webmaster to have a webchat with WB representives first? or have a major petition on this Message board.

This board has so many members i thought it would be a no brainer? If we should hold off, then how do we go about this "Superman 2 SE Donner director's cut" or "Superman 2 SE DVD" thing then!

The posts we do to show support is great but unless we as fans and movie buffs do some besides talk of are beloved movies on a message board, WB will just put out a extended movie version and few extras, 5.1 track and few documentaries and stuff? without input from anyone in the know?

We've all got interests in seeing "S2 SE" now we have to ask what do i do besides saying yes i want to see it! seems we have to do more to get what we all want!

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
You can do it, Warner!
Some movies deserve to be restored and put back the way the [original] director intended. Let's not forget the version of Touch of Evil, restored to Orson Welles' original specification after the studio butchered it. And the mother of all studio mangling, Brazil, given to us intact at long last.
And let's not forget Warner's own The Exorcist being such a nice hit for them after a restoration with finishing touches to the edit. So there is proof that such a venture can be very profitable.
Unless, of course, you can't clear up the legal rights with certain actors not to be named here.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Jason, I think WB know the score on this one. In the recent WB chat, they said that they understand the interest, but probably want input from Donner and maybe Lester. I doubt Lester wants to be involved, he was only there to get his money because suing the producers got him no where.

Any inital campaign should focus on getting Donner interested.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I'm 99% certain that Donner has already said he's interested. I think in the chat the main sense from Warner was whether they would be able to get the time with Donner to do the cut and work on it. I would presume they'd want him to do another commentary (with Tom if poss.) and they'd also have to clean up all the stuff from the reels that haven't been used. This is a MAJOR thing to do. If they can do it I think they will, but if not it's probably more to do with logistics, not the fact that no one will buy it.

Lee Burdus

Auditioning
You can all count on my vote!!

I will not be happy until we get a Richard Donner Re-cut.

The scenes that are in the theatrical cut that were directed by Richard Donner are far better than the Richard Lester scenes, I have also seen the Extended cut which includes more Donner scenes and it is far superior.

Please Warner do the right thing..........re-cut this film!!!

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
O.K. we know that all posts here are to support Superman 2 SE DVD or filmed recut anyway. latest news is the WB have S2 down for next year on www.theDigitalbits.com rumor or not?
The question i'll ask again is, besides us saying yes to this? what positive action can be taken by us on this board! should we ask the webmaster of this board to make a huge petition or ask if the WB will entice Richard Donner to recut this movie. It's been pointed out before that Donner heard of fans asking for a remastered "Superman: The Movie with extras" even though the soundtrack is debatable, fans got what they wanted after a long while.
Now a long road of convincing Donner again of doing "Superman 2 SE" his version lays ahead of us or him? getting John Williams to re-score the soundtrack in his version lays ahead? (And John Williams schedule is busy for years!!!)
Just how much is to realised doing this project if it comes to be? How much can we get (If one thing is missing WB will have a field day? just like the S:TM soundtrack thing?)i still say we can do something on this board, but what do we need a leader to lead?:frowning:
Hope to hear some good news on this issue soon:emoji_thumbsup:
P.S. Everyone who has copies of the KCOP Superman and Extended Superman 2 and 3 with makings of's how are you keeping them in good condition? With the recent wave of digital technology i was wondering if any of you have copied their Superman movies into digital format? being these movies won't be showed on TV again? the would be in good condition if stored on a digital video recorder?:) :) :) thereby keeping them in good condition consantly:emoji_thumbsup:
Just a thought:)

What we REALLY need is a petition. That would work perfectly if we got enough signatures. Look at what happened with Willy Wonka. When only a full screen version was released, there was an outcry of fans and nearly 11,000 people signed a widescreen petition. Today, it's now available. A petition would be the ticket if enough support can be raised.

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
I am in full agreement with you Mike, as a matter of fact? i did take the time to e-mail the owner of the HTF boards on the Superman 2 SE Donner recut situation? and Mr Epstein has said even though Warners were not co-operative in a live webchat that we mush send in "Written petitions" to a "WARREN LIEBERFARB" of Burbank in charge of a studio down there.

Mr Epstein also said even though he cannot help me or us personally but he did say "BUT USE TO FORUM TO STIR UP SUPPORT" And that from the "OWNER" folks!

So i take it we can do something? i've sent an e-mail to Ron Epstein again so i may get an address to send either an written letter or e-mail!

As about stiring up support i going to start anew thread with a heading "SUPERMAN 2 SE DONNER VERSION PETITION" right now!!! and will write a short message about "Superman 2 movie". To lovers of the Superman series and casual fans of the franchise, about writing letters of suggestions and statements to be included in a proposed letter soon to be sent off studio pettioning for a delux "SUPERMAN 2 SE DONNER CUT OR JAMPACKED EXTRAS FILED DVD EDITION"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks