What's new

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Whew, I snapped up the older 2018 4k, then, at Best Buy yesterday after reading about the 2.0 audio on the 2023 batch. Thanks for the confirmation.
You might want to check that disc. There were reports that the new UHD quietly replaced the old one in recent Amazon purchases.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You might want to check that disc. There were reports that the new UHD quietly replaced the old one in recent Amazon purchases.

Alas, it appears that that is the case. Got a chance to pop in that Superman 4k disc, and the 2nd audio track is labelled "Original Theatrical English" and shows up as "DTS-HD MSTR stereo" when going through the audio tracks on my Panny DP-UB420.

On the plus side, I just rolled with the Dolby Atmos track, and enjoyed whatever 5.1 audio I was getting through my ancient Pioneer SC-05 receiver's processing. I ended up watching the whole damn movie last night! LOL!

Last edited:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This may be old news for some of you, but there’s a lot of information here on the soundtrack that was new to me:

The effect of the 70mm soundtrack was almost mono, so, with Richard Donner’s approval, it was remixed for the 5.1 track on the DVD—with all new sound effects. Do we know which mix is on the 2018 UHD?

I haven't listened to the podcast, but from what I remember reading at the time, it was the 35mm mix that was "almost mono." The 70mm (at least as it's represented on the 2018 UHD's 5.1 track) has quite a bit of stereo separation in the fronts, and a fair amount in the surrounds.

I don't know anything for certain, but the 2.0 stereo track that we've had for the theatrical cut of SUPERMAN since 2006 sounds like something went wrong with the mastering. There is far more dialogue bleed in the surround channels when played through a Dolby processor than you usually get with a properly matrixed stereo track (and I've listened to it across multiple discs and multiple processors over the years).

I'm starting to wonder if maybe there was some kind of phasing issue that's never been corrected (sort of like whatever happened to the stereo tracks on Sony's recent UHD re-releases of GHOSTBUSTERS I & II). I know it's a legendarily weak mix, but even considering that, this still sounds like an error to me.

Neil - do you know anything about that?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I've read claims online from people who have actually projected Superman in 35mm that the 2.0 on the dvd and blu-rays is accurate to how it sounded fully decoded. Its really that bad.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I've read claims online from people who have actually projected Superman in 35mm that the 2.0 on the dvd and blu-rays is accurate to how it sounded fully decoded. Its really that bad.

I saw it in 35mm a few years ago. I don't recall specifics, but I do remember it having some significant stereo separation. But of course, optical Dolby Stereo tracks were notoriously temperamental. There were numerous variables that could affect playback on different prints and in different theaters.

I dunno; that 2.0 track on the discs has always seemed a little weirder than it should to me.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Last night I put the 2018 disc and was thoroughly enjoying it though it seemed a little lacking in bass and then I realized it defaults to the 5.1 mix not the Atmos. So I put on the Atmos mix, hoping to be wowed, restarted it, but the swooshing effect used on the opening credits was far too pronounced and overpowers John Williams’ fantastic score obnoxiously so. Needless to say I went back to the original 5.1. Like why did someone feel the need to tinker with the emphasis of that swoosh over the music. It wasn’t like that when I saw it in 1978. Very cheesy.
Btw does the new disc default to Atmos this time around?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think there is more things changed then just the opening credits sound fx.
Not much of it did anything to improve the sound if anything at all .

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So, I figured out while browsing ebay that the easiest way to find out if the Superman: The Movie 4k title is the old original version, is to look for those that came with the original cover slip (with an expired date for the digital copy printed in mice type on the cover slip along the top border). :)

While on FB, I noticed someone was selling their Superman: The Movie 4k, and I asked them to verify the audio options on his 4k disc, and it had the DD5.1 as the 2nd audio option, so it was the original pressing for the title. And as luck would have it, he was looking for a copy of WW84 on 4k, which I had, and was wanting to be rid of it, so we worked out a trade, and hopefully both parties will be happy with the trade. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wish I had picked up the 2018 when I could have - I don’t have a UHD player but I have a disc drive and could have ripped the 5.1 and merged that with the BD version of the movie. Oh well.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I just bought the UK 2018 release, hope it includes the 5.1 audio, as there doesn't seem to be a standalone new release.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I think there is more things changed then just the opening credits sound fx.
Not much of it did anything to improve the sound if anything at all .

Well if anything the music score sounds a lot better on the remix since it used the full experimental six-track film mix they somehow didn't bother with in 1978.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I just bought the UK 2018 release, hope it includes the 5.1 audio, as there doesn't seem to be a standalone new release.
I'm so pissed! :angry:
While there is no standalone new release in the UK, they have silently replaced the UHD with the new one, so I'm stuck with the atmos mix and the lossless stereo!!
What can anyone do if he would like the 2018 release?
And I purchased this one:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Yeah, I know.
But most people list the release as being the one from 2018, and I'm sure they do not know the issues involved.
I just sent a question to someone, asking him to send me a photo of the back cover and we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks