What's new

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The 2018 disc does not have the Dolby Vision logo on the actual physical disc, so if there's a photo of that, you'll know. If there's an o-ring sleeve, that's also exclusive to the 2018 disc.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
The 2018 disc does not have the Dolby Vision logo on the actual physical disc, so if there's a photo of that, you'll know. If there's an o-ring sleeve, that's also exclusive to the 2018 disc.
Hmmm..The disc itself doesn't have the Dolby vision logo (it says only HDR), but it's the new disc.
I played it, but the cover also states DTS-Master Audio English 2.0.
I do not understand what's an o-ring sleeve.

I asked for the back cover, because according to dvdcompare, that cover mistakenly states the Blu-ray's aspect ratio as 1.85:1. Mine said 2.40:1.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I do not understand what's an o-ring sleeve.

He means a cardboard slipcover sleeve.

A faction of slipcover collectors (and yes, there are people who specifically collect slipcovers) starting calling them "o-rings" for some unfathomable reason, despite the fact that they are neither "o" shaped nor ring-like. A few home video labels, notably Vinegar Syndrome, picked up on this and now frequently use the term as well.

It may not make any damn sense, but has become frustratingly common.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm so pissed! :angry:
While there is no standalone new release in the UK, they have silently replaced the UHD with the new one, so I'm stuck with the atmos mix and the lossless stereo!!
What can anyone do if he would like the 2018 release?
And I purchased this one:

Complain nicely to Warner Bros.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

A faction of slipcover collectors (and yes, there are people who specifically collect slipcovers) starting calling them "o-rings" for some unfathomable reason, despite the fact that they are neither "o" shaped nor ring-like. A few home video labels, notably Vinegar Syndrome, picked up on this and now frequently use the term as well.

Kino, too.

Not sure where O-ring came from when slip cover was a perfectly fine description.

The only O-rings I've heard of before are related to the old space shuttle program. Or maybe shorthand for onion rings. :)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
It’s the manufacturer’s term.

Is it, though? Which manufacturer calls them that?

These are o-rings:
o-rings.jpg

You can buy them at any hardware or auto parts store. The name is a technical term for a real product. They are literally rubber rings shaped like Os. Pretty straightforward.

I'm not doubting you that some manufacturer might do it, but I just find it utterly baffling that anyone could make a product that looks like this and call it an "o-ring."

slipcover.jpg

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
So, I just got a copy from ebay, but not cheap. 44 euros (incl. Shipping and import taxes).
Here's the back cover:
s-l1600.jpg

and here's the one I got today from Amazon:

IMG_20230602_173057.jpg

You can see the difference in the audio in UHD.
The top one says Dolby Digital English 5.1, the bottom one says DTS-HD Master Audio English 2.0.
Also, the one that I just got from ebay comes with a slipcover.
So I guess (and I hope) I purchased the right one now!

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
So, I just got a copy from ebay, but not cheap. 44 euros (incl. Shipping and import taxes).
Here's the back cover:
View attachment 185987

and here's the one I got today from Amazon:

View attachment 185988

You can see the difference in the audio in UHD.
The top one says Dolby Digital English 5.1, the bottom one says DTS-HD Master Audio English 2.0.
Also, the one that I just got from ebay comes with a slipcover.
So I guess (and I hope) I purchased the right one now!

I believe it's been stated in this thread that some copies of the new disc (no legacy DD 5.1 track) have been mispackaged using the old artwork that claims audio features not actually on the disc.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

If you look down at it from above, it will look somewhat "o" shaped.

I prefer to call them "sleeves" because they function like sleeves. Most people seem to like calling them "slipcovers" or just "slips" which sometimes is confused with "slipcases".

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If you look down at it from above, it will look somewhat "o" shaped.

I prefer to call them "sleeves" because they function like sleeves. Most people seem to like calling them "slipcovers" or just "slips" which sometimes is confused with "slipcases".
It looks like a rectangle

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I believe it's been stated in this thread that some copies of the new disc (no legacy DD 5.1 track) have been mispackaged using the old artwork that claims audio features not actually on the disc.
OMG! Don't tell me that! :(

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
OMG! Don't tell me that! :(

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is it, though? Which manufacturer calls them that?

These are o-rings:
View attachment 185970
You can buy them at any hardware or auto parts store. The name is a technical term for a real product. They are literally rubber rings shaped like Os. Pretty straightforward.

I'm not doubting you that some manufacturer might do it, but I just find it utterly baffling that anyone could make a product that looks like this and call it an "o-ring."

View attachment 185972

If they packaged movies with O rings, they'd sell better.

YO7MmOE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks