What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Bros Archive Wish List 2022 and Beyond!! (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Thanks, I was unaware of this information. But I read that United Artists had no theaters. UA was one of the so-called "Little Three" along with Universal and Columbia. If I am not mistaken, only the "Big Five" had theaters: 20th Century Fox, Paramount, MGM, Warner Bros and RKO.

Therefore, it is quite possible that a short film distributed by UA was screened in an MGM theater. But a short film distributed by Warner could be screened in a theater where films distributed by another of the "Big Five" were being shown? I mean before 1948. In that year the Hollywood studio system was dismantled, a federal antitrust suit forced the studios to divest themselves of their theatre chains. Among those "Big Five" there was fierce competition and maybe they would not screen their competitors' films in their theaters.

Any examples of a short film distributed by one "Big Five" preceding the screening of a feature film from another "Big Five" prior
Joseph Schenck (chairman of UA) formed a separate partnership with Pickford and Chaplin to buy and build theaters under the United Artists name. They began international operations, first in Canada, and then in Mexico. By the end of the 1930s, United Artists was represented in several countries. The remnants of that theatre circuit merged with Regal in the early 2000’s. Though not necessarily owned by UA Distribution, the theatres were the home for their movies from the 30’s to the early 50’s.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
Real Name
Theo
Joseph Schenck (chairman of UA) formed a separate partnership with Pickford and Chaplin to buy and build theaters under the United Artists name. They began international operations, first in Canada, and then in Mexico. By the end of the 1930s, United Artists was represented in several countries. The remnants of that theatre circuit merged with Regal in the early 2000’s. Though not necessarily owned by UA Distribution, the theatres were the home for their movies from the 30’s to the early 50’s.
Therefore, the information I had found about UA not having cinemas was incorrect. Thank you very much.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wonder if we'll ever get Hammer's She (1965), it's a big Blu-ray gap in their catalogue. Not a great film (& many would say not even a very good one), but I like it & would love to see it looking great & in the right aspect ratio before I pop my clogs.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I wonder if we'll ever get Hammer's She (1965), it's a big Blu-ray gap in their catalogue. Not a great film (& many would say not even a very good one), but I like it & would love to see it looking great & in the right aspect ratio before I pop my clogs.
I like Hammer's "She", and it is a big gap in the catalogue. Really want to see it upgraded. The old DVD is weak.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just received an email promoting 2024 TCM Classic Film Festival and found the following tidbit about The Searchers:

And for Western fans, we’re thrilled to announce a world premiere restoration of the landmark John Ford classic THE SEARCHERS (1956) presented back on the big screen as it hasn’t been seen in decades.

This leads me to believe that a 4K/UHD of The Searchers is coming in 2024.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Just received an email promoting 2024 TCM Classic Film Festival and found the following tidbit about The Searchers:

That is amazing news! Cannot wait to see this at the Chinese next year. And #15 on that "controversial" Sight and Sound Greatest Films of All Time list. It deserves that level of admiration. It's masterful, prescient, profound and a few thousand other adjectives.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Great news about The Searchers, as I just can't live with the picture on the present Blu-ray, it's like a lost film to me. So, some hope that using all the new digital toys, they‘ve done it right this time. Fingers crossed.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Noticed that 1957 The Barretts of Wimpole Street is on the TCM app. It's letterboxed but only SD.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'm with you, I'd love them to pair the Hammer film (1965) with the earier version with Randolph Scott (1935).

rojobin

Grip
Real Name
Bob

Cool! just in time for their 101st anniversary!
Warners sure missed the boat with 100th anniversary party! 😋

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I hear you, but you have to remember that after the restrucuring of WB, including WAC, they're pretty much working with a skelaton crew, after the MASS firings that were done.
Many of the techs that would be working on these are GONE!!!
So, say what you will about how WAC has dropped the ball in their 100th anniversary time limit, it's reasonable to see the bigger picture and be a little more understanding about the limtations placed on the tech team @ WAC and in the other depts as well.
A missed opportunity, you bet, but always consider the bugger picture and it make a lot more sence.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The Searchers (1954)

THE SEARCHERS(1956)​

John Wayne stars as a Civil War veteran who returns home to Texas to find much of his family has been killed and his niece (Natalie Wood) has been kidnapped by a rebellious band of Comanche Indians in this John Ford Western.

WORLD PREMIERE RESTORATION​

TCM 2024 Film Festival

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Is there any rule that says an anniversary celebration has to end on a precise day, month or even a season? Columbia has been celebrating 3 years prior to their hundredth and will so, thereafter.

Meanwhile, my WAC wish-list is short:
Boy’s Town
Captain’s Courageous
Wuthering Heights

Last edited:

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Just watched the Warner Archives Madame Bovary. I am so behind in watching discs that are still in their original wrapping. Bovary has one of my favorite Rozsa scores. The waltz is the film’s highlight! Jennifer Jones dancing to Rozsa’s impressive Madame Bovary Waltz sweeps you away as it did Emma. The camera circles the dancers and the room until Emma complains of the heat and the windows are smashed to let in cool air to help the suffocating dancers breathe. The transfer is stunning black and white. The audio is very good. It’s too bad a real stereo track is not used. I wonder if one exists.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There's been a lot of b/w releases recently (& some really great titles), but I'm hoping for a bit of 3-strip Technicolor next year, Scaramouche is top of my list with 3 Godfathers second, & I wonder what the state of the film elements are like for Northwest Passage?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
My WAC wish list is for Shout to pick up the pace on their acquisitions. One release every other month won't cut it - still too much stuff stuck on DVD that Warner isn't interested in upgrading. I need Mike's Murder, The Outfit, No Blade of Grass, Avalanche Express and a bunch more I'm forgetting at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks