What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Show Boat (1951) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1610409957864.png

NEW 2021 1080p HD master from 4K Scan of original Technicolor negatives!

SHOW BOAT (1951)
Run Time 108:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 STEREO - English, DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Original Mono Theatrical track- - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Commentary by Director George Sidney;
Till the Clouds Roll By - Show Boat (1946) Sequence; "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" and "Bill" Ava Gardner Audio-only Outtakes; Lux Radio Theater Broadcast (2/11/1952); Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

From novel (by Edna Ferber) to Broadway smash (by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II) to three film versions (1929, 1936, 1951) to stage revivals. Like Ol’ Man River, Show Boat just keeps rollin’ along. Produced by Arthur Freed and directed by George Sidney, this 1951 version of the saga of riverboat lives and loves has glorious stars (Kathryn Grayson, Ava Gardner, Howard Keel, Marge and Gower Champion) in Technicolor® radiance, a made-from-scratch 170-foot paddle wheeler, timeless songs and an equally timeless outcry against racial bigotry. “This was music that would outlast Kern’s day and mine,” Ferber said in recalling her first reaction to hearing “Ol’ Man River.” She was right as rain.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I knew it was coming. It was just a matter of time. Warners was working on it and making sure they got it right. Now the hysteria from certain quarters of "Where's Show Boat?" (as if Warners were deliberately ignoring it) can be put to rest. Now, they can go on a tangent about The Gorgeous Hussy or Nancy Goes To Rio. :D

gjn123

Agent
Real Name
Brendan Brennan
I knew it was coming. It was just a matter of time. Warners was working on it and making sure they got it right. Now the hysteria from certain quarters of "Where's Show Boat?" (as if Warners were deliberately ignoring it) can be put to rest. Now, they can go on a tangent about The Gorgeous Hussy or Nancy Goes To Rio. :D

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Fantastic! And it's a "4K scan of the original Technicolor negatives," which, based on the announced specs, MY DREAM IS YOURS is not (although ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS most assuredly was). There's nothing like combining the three original pre-1955 negatives, a startling process which replicates the look of Technicolor dye transfer prints, only better. The fact that SHOW BOAT is getting this royal treatment is truly something to get excited about. Conversely, the fact that MY DREAM IS YOURS is not being done this way is surprising, and somewhat disappointing (especially after ROMANCE). No doubt it'll look gorgeous; it just won't be "real" three-strip Technicolor, like the others. On with the SHOW BOAT!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Fantastic! And it's a "4K scan of the original Technicolor negatives," which, based on the announced specs, MY DREAM IS YOURS is not (although ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS most assuredly was). There's nothing like combining the three original pre-1955 negatives, a startling process which replicates the look of Technicolor dye transfer prints, only better. The fact that SHOW BOAT is getting this royal treatment is truly something to get excited about. Conversely, the fact that MY DREAM IS YOURS is not being done this way is surprising, and somewhat disappointing (especially after ROMANCE). No doubt it'll look gorgeous; it just won't be "real" three-strip Technicolor, like the others. On with the SHOW BOAT!
I don't know why I thought My Dream Is Yours is a black and white movie, but it clearly isn't. I already bought it in HD streaming, and I may wait for sale for this one.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I don't know why I thought My Dream Is Yours is a black and white movie, but it clearly isn't. I already bought it in HD streaming, and I may wait for sale for this one.
...maybe you're thinking of the black and white I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS (1951), with Doris Day and Danny Thomas? I used to get those mixed up myself.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just hope they use the stereo tracks they're advertising. They used them for the laserdisc (and also allowed you to choose either Annette Warren or Ava Gardner for Julie's vocals).
Me too. I could be wrong but that stereo remix that was on the Laserdisc box set (which I regret to say I never got a chance to own) was not used on any of the DVD releases.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not usually a huge musical-centric fan, but Showboat '51 is a day one purchase. Thanks WB Archives! Still would love that '29 one with Laura La Plante and Joe Schildkraut as well somehow someday.
Last I heard some add’l audio may have surfaced, but don’t believe it’s complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.