What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: A Star is Born (1937) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
HBOMAX is show this movie this month as part of its Oscar programming. I am not sure if what is being shown is the restoration or not. Though HBOMAX has shown restorations before WA version was released in the past.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HBOMAX is show this movie this month as part of its Oscar programming. I am not sure if what is being shown is the restoration or not. Though HBOMAX has shown restorations before WA version was released in the past.
I checked it out. It's derived from the same scan used for the Kino Blu-ray.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Since Turner is showcasing the restoration at their Film Festival in April, I wouldn't expect them to
undercut themselves by running it on the channel first.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Since Turner is showcasing the restoration at their Film Festival in April, I wouldn't expect them to
undercut themselves by running it on the channel first.
I hadn't remembered it was being shown at the Festival. Its surprising then that they are showing any version of the film on HBOMAX. To make a big splash at the Festival it would probably be better to make the film less available for a period before hand. Almost 50 years ago (I can't believe it is that long ago) when MGM released "That's Entertainment" they pulled all their musicals from theatrical showings. They said the films were "On Moratorium" so the only way to see the clips included in the film in a movie theater was by watching "That's Entertainment". Of course they couldn't pull the films from TV so they were still available to see.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I hadn't remembered it was being shown at the Festival. Its surprising then that they are showing any version of the film on HBOMAX. To make a big splash at the Festival it would probably be better to make the film less available for a period before hand. Almost 50 years ago (I can't believe it is that long ago) when MGM released "That's Entertainment" they pulled all their musicals from theatrical showings. They said the films were "On Moratorium" so the only way to see the clips included in the film in a movie theater was by watching "That's Entertainment". Of course they couldn't pull the films from TV so they were still available to see.

Some studios still take a title out of service for several months leading up to the TCM Classic Film Festival once a title is confirmed. Again, this only affects repertory and regular theatres, not home video or tv.

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
One quirk of this fabulous looking release:

On this disc, the trailer for the film is unrestored and looks quite dim and fuzzy compared to the restored film.

But, on the disc of the 1954 version, the trailer for the 1937 version looks just as good as the restored film itself.

So, those of you wondering how the new Blu-Ray of the 1937 looks, you can get a preview if you have the 1954 version.

Those wondering what prior discs of the 1937 version looked like can get a preview by looking at the trailer on the new restoration Blu-Ray of the 1937 version.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
One quirk of this fabulous looking release:

On this disc, the trailer for the film is unrestored and looks quite dim and fuzzy compared to the restored film.

But, on the disc of the 1954 version, the trailer for the 1937 version looks just as good as the restored film itself.

So, those of you wondering how the new Blu-Ray of the 1937 looks, you can get a preview if you have the 1954 version.

Those wondering what prior discs of the 1937 version looked like can get a preview by looking at the trailer on the new restoration Blu-Ray of the 1937 version.
Well, it's not fuzzy, it's actually quite sharp and detailed, obviously a hi-def transfer from an early-generation 35mm element. The main problem is the low color saturation.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Just watched this last night, and I'm blown away by how good it looks compared to the KINO disc. The colors pop. There are no instances of dirt, debris, and/or detritous... film grain is minimal. BEAUTIFUL!

It's a timeless story by my fav director. I was very happy with Warner's restoration!!

I noticed that Janet Gaynor wore green for most of the picture. Do you think that was a forced choice because of Technicolor and Natalie Kalmus' persistent insistence?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks