What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Yeah, I've seen it. You're not missing much. My mini-review from 2010:

The storyline is pretty much Shadow of a Doubt meets Sudden Fear, but nowhere near as fun as either. The opening sequence shows a ton of promise, a few minutes of pure noir. From there on, it’s strictly dullsville until the final act. Although James Wong Howe is a dynamite cinematographer, he doesn’t get enough opportunities to show off his chops, and most of the film is flat and lifeless. Once the tension amps up, it gets slightly better, but no more so than a dozen other similar tales. And then there’s a ridiculous (and thoroughly unexplained) climax, and a really corny coda. Almost worth seeing for Zachary Scott’s slimy performance, but you’re better off watching him do pretty much the same thing in Mildred Pierce, a much finer movie. Rating: 5/10

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yeah, I've seen it. You're not missing much. My mini-review from 2010:

The storyline is pretty much Shadow of a Doubt meets Sudden Fear, but nowhere near as fun as either. The opening sequence shows a ton of promise, a few minutes of pure noir. From there on, it’s strictly dullsville until the final act. Although James Wong Howe is a dynamite cinematographer, he doesn’t get enough opportunities to show off his chops, and most of the film is flat and lifeless. Once the tension amps up, it gets slightly better, but no more so than a dozen other similar tales. And then there’s a ridiculous (and thoroughly unexplained) climax, and a really corny coda. Almost worth seeing for Zachary Scott’s slimy performance, but you’re better off watching him do pretty much the same thing in Mildred Pierce, a much finer movie. Rating: 5/10

Thank you.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The Traveltalks Volume 2 is indeed pressed. I've got mine. I love these films. :)

Is it just me, or does everyone have a repeat of Glimpses of Australia from Volume 1? It's not a misprint. On both volumes, it's clearly stated and included.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Is it just me, or does everyone have a repeat of Glimpses of Australia from Volume 1? It's not a misprint. On both volumes, it's clearly stated and included.

Yes, that short was duplicated.

All but two of the 1934 - 1945 shorts are on the first two volumes. Missed were...
  • GLIMPSES OF ARGENTINA (1938); I suspect this oversight may be the result of a clerical error that included AUSTRALIA twice
  • OLD NEW ORLEANS (1940)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
  • GLIMPSES OF ARGENTINA (1938); I suspect this oversight may be the result of a clerical error that included AUSTRALIA twice

Hopefully this can be rectified. Normally, such a fix would be easy for MODs, but since this got pressed it might require separate disc replacement.

That is if the WAC were willing to go through the extra legwork.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I believe that I somehow mixed up the Wheeler & Woolsey, Vol.1 and Vol. 2 sets, and that it was the first one that got delayed with no formal announcement of a second Volume!

My apologies for any unintended passing of misinformation on my part regarding the above! Clearly, my memory isn't what it used to be! Also, thank you very much Randy, for providing up to date information regarding a possible Wheeler & Woolsey, Vol. 2 set by Warner for later this year, contingent of course, on whether the work on their remaining Features is completed in time for this to happen!

Here's a link to the relevant Wheeler & Woolsey Topic that I actually started exactly one year ago, today, in case anyone reading this has anything to add: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/top...archive-release-bert-roberts-remaining-films/

CHEERS! :)
I just saw The Cuckoos on TCM in the last week or so. It makes me wonder if the Wheeler & Woolsey Vol 2 set is close.

"I love them so much, I can't conceal it. I love them so much, it's a wonder Warner's don't feel it." :)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
"Cuckoos" (1930) itself never did too much for me, but I'm always ready to have W&W polished off on DVD. Were there problems with the elements for "Cockeyed Cavaliers" and "Silly Billies?". It would sure be nice to finally have them. Getting to see and meet Dorothy Lee, and hear her reminiscing about the guys at a film festival, is a cherished memory of mine. I think I probably get a kick out of her as much as I do Wheeler and Woolsey themselves!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
"Cuckoos" (1930) itself never did too much for me, but I'm always ready to have W&W polished off on DVD. Were there problems with the elements for "Cockeyed Cavaliers" and "Silly Billies?". It would sure be nice to finally have them. Getting to see and meet Dorothy Lee, and hear her reminiscing about the guys at a film festival, is a cherished memory of mine. I think I probably get a kick out of her as much as I do Wheeler and Woolsey themselves!
They have stated the delay for volume 2 is element issues for Cockeyed Cavaliers and Silly Billies. The last time I asked them was about 2 months ago and they said we were getting close so it might make it by the end of the year or early next year. Volume 2 will include: Cuckoos, Cockeyed Cavaliers, Silly Billies and 2 solo films.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I picked up Isle of the Dead/Bedlam before I saw the announcement of pre-orders from the WB site. I guess there are still some new copies of the old DVD still floating around on ebay. Never seen Bedlam before but caught Isle of the Dead on TCM once a few years ago and enjoyed it. I wanted to revisit that film and see what Bedlam was about. I like the earlier Karloff films better than his later ones, but Isle was very fun and the setting was quite creepy and novel.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wheeler and Woolsey Vol. 2 finally announced and reported in a separate thread as well..
It includes the 5 expected titles: Cuckoos, Cockeyed Cavaliers, Silly Billies, the two solo outings: Too Many Cooks and Everythings Rosie and a previously public domain title: Dixiana. Hopefully Dixiana is an improvement on the Roan DVD which I have and was a pretty good transfer.
Too bad they were not able to get "So this is Africa from Sony as that is now the only unreleased Wheeler and Woolsey film.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Well, I'd also like to see that RKO Masquers Club short that Wheeler and Woolsey did, "Oh! Oh! Cleopatra" (1931). Although, I don't believe Warner's owns the rights to the RKO shorts. Even worse, I'm not even sure the film is extant anymore, although I'd heard the rumors of a print being in private hands at one time, and subsequently lost.

Dorothy Lee mentioned at that festival appearance that both she and Wheeler quickly realized "Too Many Cooks" was going to be a 'dog' of a film, and they just resigned themselves to that fact, and wanted to get it over quickly. Woolsey's solo film, "Everything's Rosie" is a tad better, but still no great shakes.

Jackbhh

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Where the H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS is THE MIDDLE SEASON 7 on DVD ???

Sick and tired of Warner Archive screwing up and not releasing past season of a show right before the new season begins.

Wezzo

Second Unit
Where the H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS is THE MIDDLE SEASON 7 on DVD ???

Sick and tired of Warner Archive screwing up and not releasing past season of a show right before the new season begins.

I don't know why it's taking so long, but it is on the way. (I asked them in a Facebook private message a few weeks back.)

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
So pleased to have all of these shorts.

Maybe. GLIMPSES OF AUSTRALIA (1939) was duplicated on Vols. 1 and 2, while GLIMPSES OF ARGENTINA (1938) was overlooked. The press release indicates that Vol. 3 covers 1940 - end of series.

Edit...
It appears we will have all of 'em. WAC replies that the IMDb listing of 1938 for ARGENTINA is incorrect, and it is a 1951 short schedule for Vol. 3. (IMDb has updated its entry since earlier today.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks