What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (2 Viewers)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Rob_Ray said:
Yet another week of mostly retreads. Well, at least I'm not spending as much on Archive titles.

Same here . I guess I'll save a little cash . I hope this doen't become a trend . I like the new to DVD titles .

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Well, the titles are certainly good ones (TARGETS, LADY IN A CAGE, LET'S SCARE JESSICA). However, most horror fans probably purchased those when they were new.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Also a bit disappointed that David Copperfield and Marie Antoinette showed up. Does not bode well for blu-ray releases in the near future.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
About 6-8 months ago on their Facebook paged they stated it was an elements issue and they planned to start work on it soon.
Nothing new posted on it since then that I am aware of.
borisfw said:
What is the issue with the naked and the dead? Is it rights or an elements issue?

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Randy Korstick said:
About 6-8 months ago on their Facebook paged they stated it was an elements issue and they planned to start work on it soon.
Nothing new posted on it since then that I am aware of.
Good to know they are working on it . Hopefully we'll see it in the not too distant future .

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I, for one, am getting really tired of Warners discontinuing pressed disks, dumping them at BL and other places, and then bringing them back as overpriced MOD releases. If the pressed versions really sold so poorly so as to dump them as overstock who's going to pay premium prices for a MOD?

I'd rather see titles that have never seen a release before even if they *are* overpriced.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
BobO said:
I, for one, am getting really tired of Warners discontinuing pressed disks, dumping them at BL and other places, and then bringing them back as overpriced MOD releases. If the pressed versions really sold so poorly so as to dump them as overstock who's going to pay premium prices for a MOD?I'd rather see titles that have never seen a release before even if they *are* overpriced.
Big Lots was not authorized to sell them at those $4 prices and we're subsequently sued by Warner for doing so, IIRC.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Brandon Conway said:
Big Lots was not authorized to sell them at those $4 prices and we're subsequently sued by Warner for doing so, IIRC.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
Yes. Those discs were overstock due to less than anticipated sales and Warner contracted with an outside company to have them destroyed. The company violated their contract and sold them to Big Lots and other close out stores.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
BobO'Link said:
I, for one, am getting really tired of Warners discontinuing pressed disks, dumping them at BL and other places, and then bringing them back as overpriced MOD releases. If the pressed versions really sold so poorly so as to dump them as overstock who's going to pay premium prices for a MOD? I'd rather see titles that have never seen a release before even if they *are* overpriced.
It's a good deal for people who want an OOP title, only to find, after scouring the Web for a title, that even used copies go for exorbitant prices. Just an example: A Song Is Born: the cheapest from any Amazon Marketplace seller is $46, after which they go to $70 and on up. On sale, Archive titles can go as low as $10. By now we all know (or should know) that creating and maintaining an inventory of low-selling pressed discs isn't an economically favorable strategy. So going MOD is a boon for collectors, given the alternative.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
BOMBA - JUNGLE BOY VOLUME 2 looks great and the final three titles are anamorphic Widescreen. Another film series completed.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Just saw a pre-order on the Warner Archive page for "William Powell at Warner Brothers". This will be out in mid-September. Four titles all from the early 1930's include: "The Key"....."High Pressure"....."The Road to Singapore"......"Private Detective 62". Price : $39.95.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
ahollis said:
Yes. Those discs were overstock due to less than anticipated sales and Warner contracted with an outside company to have them destroyed. The company violated their contract and sold them to Big Lots and other close out stores.
Brandon Conway said:
ahollis said:
That was for those TVonDVD seasons a few years back. The films have all been "overstock" and have shown up at many such vendors both BM/online.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Paul Penna said:
It's a good deal for people who want an OOP title, only to find, after scouring the Web for a title, that even used copies go for exorbitant prices. Just an example: A Song Is Born: the cheapest from any Amazon Marketplace seller is $46, after which they go to $70 and on up. On sale, Archive titles can go as low as $10. By now we all know (or should know) that creating and maintaining an inventory of low-selling pressed discs isn't an economically favorable strategy. So going MOD is a boon for collectors, given the alternative.
Yes, it is nice if you missed out on the pressed run. But the problem as I see it is those titles should have a *maximum* price of ~$10. After all, the remastering/authoring/licensing (if any) has already been done for the pressed version(s) so there should be no "up front" costs to recoup. I've maintained since the program began that the "sale" prices really should be the *everyday* prices on such titles.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
BobO said:
That was for those TVonDVD seasons a few years back. The films have all been "overstock" and have shown up at many such vendors both BM/online.
There were both TV series cartoon series and movie box sets. The box sets included Bette Davis, Errol Flynn, musicals Stanly Kubrick, gangsters and many others. I was amazed at the number of cartoon series that were in that bunch. They sued IWMB, Inc for 10 million. They were to destroy 2 million units of which close to 1 million ended up at Big Lots and other close out stores. They wanted these destroyed at the height of the recession when Circuit City was failing and the Brick and Mortar stores were struggling. The huge age of DVD sales was over and these units were sitting around gathering dust and more than likely still be sitting there today. In business good decisions are made and bad ones are made, things change and its hard to blame for decisions made four years ago when models change daily.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i do believe that warner owns the rights to the lighthorsemen. i would love to see that movie released.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
FrankXS said:
Just saw a pre-order on the Warner Archive page for "William Powell at Warner Brothers". This will be out in mid-September. Four titles all from the early 1930's include: "The Key"....."High Pressure"....."The Road to Singapore"......"Private Detective 62". Price : $39.95.
Very nice. An interview last year stated that WB's vault print of The Key was too damaged to use, turned to the Library of Congress and discussed the time consuming process of clearing that red tape for an eventual WAC release. Glad to see The Key will be coming this year and other WB precoders starring Mr. Powell.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Great news on the William Powell titles.

I'd love to see the Warner Archive rescue the 1935 William Powell film Escapade from whatever legal entanglements have rendered it unseen and completely obscure. It was also Luise Rainer's first MGM film.

Perhaps they can get to it after someday rescuing Joan Crawford's Letty Lynton (1932).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks