What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I wish Warner Archive would ask Julie Kirgo to write liner notes for their releases.

But in any case, I'm very happy about the upcoming deluxe release with booklet for The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. I've just now put my pre-order in.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The booklet looks like a reproduction of the hard cover movie program that was available for purchase at Cinerama theatres on it's roadshow release.

“The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm Two-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray will include an 8-page booklet that is a partial replica of the original souvenir program sold in theaters during the film’s original theatrical roadshow engagements ”

John Skoda

Second Unit
PORGY AND BESS
(Apparently the Gershwin estate is now ok with the rights being accessed again.i have read on this site that the negatives were restored at Columbia back in the '90's, I think. I believe MGM/UA held the rights for a time, but did nothing with this title)

Could Warners do this one now? They have the Goldwyn titles these days, don't they?

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
“The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm Two-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray will include an 8-page booklet that is a partial replica of the original souvenir program sold in theaters during the film’s original theatrical roadshow engagements ”
Very glad to hear that. I had a souvenir book back in the day when I worked at the Uptown Cinerama but it got away from me somehow, over the years. Can't wait for the end of March to get here so that Amazon can send me my BD. I'm expecting AWESOME!!!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I don’t think the colors are more popping.

The dragon has less detail as does the Frog king and the woman under him.

Looks nice but it’s a big difference from the original.
I like it too - the new one- but it’s a little to Disney-ish IMHO. As if I’m about to see a cartoon?
But as someone else said- I really don’t care what it comes in.

Brian Ogilvie

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Ogilvie
Hello,

Long-time lurker, but made an account to ask a question. I have ordered just now both The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm, along with How the West was Won. Having not seen any Cinerama titles before, or Smilebox, and wanting to try a couple of the travelogue ones to go along with these two titles, can you guys point me to some must-haves? I watch primarily on a 4K projector, if that matters. Being a Bing Crosby fan, was thinking Russian Adventure? If anyone can give some suggestions that would be really appreciated!

Thanks all!

Reactions: PMF

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Being a Bing Crosby fan, was thinking Russian Adventure? If anyone can give some suggestions that would be really appreciated!
That’d be a good one to go for. It’s my second favourite of the travelogues. The Russian version of Cinerama has a few odd quirks which means that the blending between screens is more noticeable at times than with the American productions, but the sequences are terrific and Bing is a great narrator.

Highlights for me were the Moscow State Circus, folk dancing, dog sledding, and riding down the river on logs. Be aware though that it also includes footage of a whale being harpooned.

My favourite travelogue is Cinerama Holiday, which shows an American couple in Europe and a European (Swiss) couple in the USA. Highlights include an open-air ice show, Alpine skiing, and a visit to a New England fair.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Hello,

Long-time lurker, but made an account to ask a question. I have ordered just now both The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm, along with How the West was Won. Having not seen any Cinerama titles before, or Smilebox, and wanting to try a couple of the travelogue ones to go along with these two titles, can you guys point me to some must-haves? I watch primarily on a 4K projector, if that matters. Being a Bing Crosby fan, was thinking Russian Adventure? If anyone can give some suggestions that would be really appreciated!

Thanks all!
Welcome to Home Theater Forum!

Most of the Cinerama productions have been reviewed by various members of our review staff. I reviewed Cinerama's Russian Adventure here, for example, and also did The Best of Cinerama and Holiday in Spain. Just use the search engine at the top of the page to find reviews of some of the others.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Hello,

Thanks all!
I don't have any suggestions - just a Welome! And that I like your avatar. :)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
This may be too obvious, but I would suggest starting with THE BEST OF CINERAMA to see if these travelogues are your cup of tea. While the film was originally created to be filler between other Cinerama releases, it also serves as a sampler or "greatest hits" package.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Do they give awards out for restorative works such as this? I mean, this was a film that was until very recently thought to be lost and gone in its original form.

To have this now to own in all its original glory is a miracle.

I can't even image the painstaking work it took to accomplish this.

This film was quite literally saved from extinction.

If there are awards for this kind of work the restoration team behind saving Brothers Grimm for future generations to enjoy deserve every damn single one of them!

I cannot wait until my copy arrives.

Brian Ogilvie

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Ogilvie
Thanks for the kind replies, everyone! I put in an order for the titles suggested. Can’t wait to see how they look.

Super excited to see Brothers Grimm - I seem to remember a conversation I had many years ago when I was little, with my late mother. She talked about her enjoyment of the picture (I think we had a book with stills from the film which got us on the topic). Could never come across a home video copy back then and wish she was still here so I could experience it with her when it arrives. Sounds really fun!

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I had 18 guests over last night for the "re-premiere" of Brothers Grimm. Everyone, from their late 20's to mid 70's was mesmerized. The clarity, the music, and the immersive magic of Smilebox, brought a sense of what deluxe roadshow movie going was all about.
The closest thing to today would be the 5 minute ride/films that simulate immersive flights through exotic locals.
Brother's Grimm when forced to rely on it's story alone, can be perceived as lacking. Since that was never the initial intent of Cinerama, it is now able to be experienced via this Blu ray with much of it's technical brilliance restored. It's nothing short of amazing!
My favorite comment came from someone who had seen the cobbled together TCM print..."I never liked this particular sequence, but now it's so beautiful and with restored clarity that allows you to see so many details that were previously lost!"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am really, really excited about having the opportunity to watch TWWOTBG for the first time this week. Will have my copy in hand tomorrow.

Of course, there is a huge level of curiosity over the smilebox presentation. The last film I saw in this format was HOW THE WEST WAS WON and WB did a really incredible job with that title.

I have been instructed to watch the restoration documentary on the 2nd disc prior to watching the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks