What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
I just placed my order. Unless I have miscounted, this will be the 11th Cinerama movie presented on blu-ray with a Smilebox format viewing option. I'll have all of them!
Oops. Just to follow up on my own miscount of this, I saw on the other "Grimm" thread that I had totally missed the The Golden Head release on blu-ray offering the Smilebox viewing option. Therefore, The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm will be the 12th one, not the 11th. Gotta' put my order in for The Golden Head now!

Reactions: PMF
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Oops. Just to follow up on my own miscount of this, I saw on the other "Grimm" thread that I had totally missed the The Golden Head release on blu-ray offering the Smilebox viewing option. Therefore, The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm will be the 12th one, not the 11th. Gotta' put my order in for The Golden Head now!
Can you please list all the titles?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
What other big, unreleased films should be worked on next?

--jthree
PORGY AND BESS
(Apparently the Gershwin estate is now ok with the rights being accessed again.i have read on this site that the negatives were restored at Columbia back in the '90's, I think. I believe MGM/UA held the rights for a time, but did nothing with this title)
WHERE'S CHARLEY? The widow of Frank Loesser finally freed this title up, but as yet Warner Archive have done nothing with it. Guessing the Technicolor negatives were restored by Ted Turner late last century.
LETTIE LYNTON. 1932 pre-Code Joan Crawford drama held up by a legal dispute since the '30's.
CENTENNIAL SUMMER. Fox musical. The last score by Jerome Kern. Restored but held up by a rights issue
THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET
1957 Cinemascope remake which has had no official release anywhere as far as I know. Jennifer Jones. Remade by the director of the 1934 version with the same score and screenplay.
THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE. Fox musical biopic. The last theatrical film of Gordon MacRae. Restored when APRIL LOVE was restored. Shown theatrically. No Cinemascope release on any format.
A CERTAIN SMILE
Sagan novel filmed with a great Alfred Newman score. No Cinemascope release on any format
Plus, if they can be found, ANY 65mm wide screen films shot in the early years if sound. So far only two out on dvd and only one on Blu Ray. Titles inc KISMET, BILLY THE KID, DANGER LIGHTS, THE GREAT MEADOW etc.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Looks so much better than this:

View attachment 127269

I like both renderings, but I would accept the discs in a brown paper bag at this point.

TWWotBG may not be anyone's favorite movie of all time, but I have loved it since seeing its original run in 3-strip at the Rialto in Louisville. Being able to project it at home in Smilebox is a fantastic dream transformed to unexpected reality. I am grateful to David, Warner Archive, and everyone involved. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Mrozsa

Agent
Real Name
Ken Newberry
Can I ask UK members how they will be importing Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm? I’ve looked at Amazon and WOW and with VAT they both come out at nearly £30 so I guess that means there could be import duty on top of that(?).
Any ideas would be welcome, thanks.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Can I ask UK members how they will be importing Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm? I’ve looked at Amazon and WOW and with VAT they both come out at nearly £30 so I guess that means there could be import duty on top of that(?).
Any ideas would be welcome, thanks.
I ordered from Wow HD which including VAT came to £28. There won't be any import duty on top of that.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
"Raintree County" should be high on my list....have been waiting forever for this one. Hopefully Eva Marie Saint will narrate the backstory...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
"Raintree County" should be high on my list....have been waiting forever for this one. Hopefully Eva Marie Saint will narrate the backstory...

It was the first movie filmed in the MGM Camera 65 film process with an AR of 2.76. Ben-Hur was the second. It has only been released on Laser Disc and VHS tape.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
7921d68a-086d-9cb6-4399-4ba7c6f78c3b.jpg

THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM

ARRIVES AS A TWO-DISC DELUXE SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY™
MARCH 29
FROM THE WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION
Restored 1080p HD Masters from 6K composite scan of original Cinerama 3-panel Camera Negatives

Burbank, Calif., February 25, 2022
– The classic film The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm will debut as a Two-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray™ on March 29 from the Warner Archive Collection. Restored in 4K (3840 x 2160) master files from 6K files of original Cinerama Camera Negatives, with the most advanced technology available used by Cinerama Restorationists David Strohmaier and Tom H. March, to eliminate the “join lines” that plagued traditional release prints, and early video format releases. The Cinerama 7-channel sound has also been restored for a new 5.1 mix that brings a spectacular sonic experience to match the amazing Cinerama imagery.

The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm Two-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray will include an 8-page booklet that is a partial replica of the original souvenir program sold in theaters during the film’s original theatrical roadshow engagements and be available for $24.98 SRP at the Warner Archive store on Amazon.com or online retailers where Blu-ray discs are sold.

About the Film:
The story behind the brothers who created beloved fairy tales come to life, with reenactments of three of their fairy tales stories. The film tells the story of the brothers' long struggle for recognition and the sacrifices they and their families made to achieve their goals. Between dreamer Wilhelm (Laurence Harvey) and practical Jacob (Karl Boehm), some marvelous fairy tales develop. In "The Dancing Princess," a princess (Yvette Mimieux) falls in love with a charming woodsman (Russ Tamblyn). In "The Cobbler and the Elves," a Christmas miracle of dedicated labor helps the cobbler out when he most needs it. And in the last story, a fire-breathing dragon threatens the kingdom until a lowly servant (Buddy Hackett) saves the day. Shot on location in West Germany, the innovative production features Puppetoons, a technique developed by Oscar-winning special effects expert George Pal. Meticulously restored from its original Cinerama negatives, this fanciful delight is a treat for audiences of all ages.....and this Deluxe Two Disc Edition gives the viewer the opportunity to watch the film either in a traditional letterbox format, or in the Smilebox® format which attempts to re-create the immersive Cinerama experience with a simulated curve to the screen. Both versions bring together the three original Cinerama panels with virtually no trace of the lines that joined them together when originally projected in theaters back in 1962.

Warner Archive extends its deepest thanks to Cinerama restorationists David Strohmaier and Tom March, and Decurion Corp. (parent company of Cinerama Inc), who partnered with Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.to bring this project to fruition.

SPECIAL FEATURES
• Rescuing a Fantasy Classic-Documentary (HD) NEW!
• The Epic Art of The Brothers Grimm (HD) NEW!
• The Wonderful Career of George Pal (HD) NEW!
• Trailers and more!

TECHNICAL SPECS
• NEW 2022 1080p HD Masters from the 4K restoration of original Cinerama Camera Negatives!
• TWO-DISC DELUXE SPECIAL EDITION
• 2-BD50s
• Disc 1-Restored Cinerama image letterboxed
• Disc 2-Restored Cinerama image in SMILEBOX® format, to approximate the curved theater screen experience in the home
• Disc 1-Aspect Ratio 16x9 2.89 Letterbox
• Disc 2-Aspect Ratio 16x9 2.89Smilebox®
• Audio Specs DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround
• 140 Minutes-Roadshow presentation with Overture, Intermission, Entr'acte, and Exit Music.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
So now the ratio is back to 2.89 which is what previous releases like HTWWW have been. I thought the 2.85 was just a misprint. Not that its a huge difference either way but its always interesting when they change but in this case they did not.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Looks wonderful. Can't wait.

And yes, the inclusion of a booklet "elevates" it to the standard set in the Flicker Alley Cinerama releases. Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks