What's new

Universal Horror Film Legacy Reissues not on BD! (2 Viewers)

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I had no idea that these are out. Interesting. It's great that they are individual discs and standard packaging.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My set arrived tonight. I've not had time to sample it, but like all Universal releases these days, this seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

What's in the set is the individual new DVD releases of each series, so you get a retail "Frankenstein" pack, a retail "The Wolfman" pack, etc, which is fine since the packaging of both the sets and the slip case they fit in are pretty nice. It's also the problem.

To pad out "The Wolfman" set for individual retail sale, they put in a bunch of the movies included in the other sets that the Wolfman appears in, so there's duplicates in the boxset. I get it, they're being cheap and corporate like every other big studio. As a fan though it sucks. Why not pad out "The Wolfman" set with other Universal horror classics like "Murders in the Rue Morgue", or "The Black Cat"? Even more stupid, they have "The Phantom of the Opera" (Claude Rains version of course) as a solitary disc in it's own case that doesn't match the others, and didn't include it's sequel "The Climax"! Of course, Having only two films in the "Opera" series gives them another opportunity to put in more discs of their classic horror like the silent Phantom, "The Old Dark House", and the more odd ball Universal horror films which they didn't bother to do.

So once again, a Universal set is a bit of a missed opportunity. I'm not completely out of sorts about it, I'm glad to have a set where all the films are actually watchable and I cant wait to dive in. It's just a shame that none of the studios want to take the time to do all they can with these sets anymore.

Of course, it's amazing we got a set of single sided discs in the first place, I guess.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I got mine yesterday. The amount of duplication is amazing , but as a fan of the Wolfman ,it's nice to get all of Larry Talbot's appearances in one place. I'm hoping for a "Son of " box set / follow up with all of the rest of the Universal Horrors .

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Damn you, Universal! Why you no put out everything else?

So far I've got the Blu Ray Classic Monsters Essential Collection and the double features on DVD from 10 or so years go

(these guys:
025192139826.jpg

Why don't we get these double features on Blu in another Essential Set? That seems a no-brainer to me.Hell, I'd even put up with the Abbot and Costello flicks to get She-Wolf of London and the like on Blu.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
and yet the 50's sci fi flicks can get released on blu in Germany, missed opportunity indeed! waiting on that sequel monster follow up set,

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I bought the 21-disc boxset even though I previously purchased all of the old legacy sets from a decade ago (which often took 2-3 tries before finding a set that played without defects). Having the films on one-sided discs and in packaging that is much easier to remove the discs is a vast improvement over the previous sets and the addition of the Abbott and Costello films and the 1943 Phantom of the Opera was certainly welcome (I already own The Phantom of the Opera - The Ultimate Edition that was released by Image Entertainment in 2003). Sure the duplication of certain films seems wasteful, but not enough to deter me from buying the set. The transfers generally look very good to my non-expert eye in comparison to the older legacy sets. I am quite satisfied with the purchase overall.

Darby

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Why was Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy, and the Creature sequels not widescreen?

JeffT.

Deceased Member
son-of-frankenstein.jpg

My choice for a bluray release would be Rowland V. Lee's epic SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939) with its grandly magnificent cast (formidably) comprised of Basil Rathbone, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and Lionel Atwill. (As I have likely said somewhere here) many consider this definitively stylistic masterpiece the very best in the classic Universal Pictures Frankenstein film series.

It is a landmark because it momentously marks the superb Bela Lugosi's entry in horror saga. It is not generally considered that Bela actually appeared in four of the Frankenstein films in varying parts.

We are talking about a high definition video transfer here. Nothing less!

Packed with numerous bonus extras.

The television version clocks in at 96 minutes (the longest of the Frankenstein movies) albeit it apparently ran 98 minutes when originally theatrically released.

It would be nice if the Universal Pictures horror films like THE MAD GHOUL (1943) consigned to DVD-Rs could be made available on "standard" DVD as well.

son_frankenstein.jpg

Jeff T.

:D

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd *love* to have SON OF FRANKENSTEIN in HD!!
Me too! It's a 1939 film. Universal could have their own Hollywood's Golden Year Collection, add Beau Geste & a few other goodies. I'm still living in hope that we get the rest of the Universal horrors on Blu-ray.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, WEREWOLF OF LONDON and DRACULA'S DAUGHTER are my three most-wanted Universal horror/Monsters titles on Blu-ray... but of course I'll jump at whichever titles get an HD upgrade (if any). I'm keeping my fingers crossed for September-October....

JeffT.

Deceased Member
tumblr_ktdftav0g01qzr8nao1_1280.jpg

It's nice to see interest in the more "respectable" horror films (if there is such a thing).

Another Universal Pictures classic I'd like to see made available on a "quality" bluray release is THE CLIMAX (1944) starring Boris Karloff (at his most sinister) and filmed in exquisitely magnificent technicolour.

Of course loaded with as many bonus extras as possible!

I was (truly) impressed when I saw this film for the first time in colour on "standard" DVD and for a 1940s film Boris Karloff's climatic demise is startling horrifying.

THE CLIMAX (1944) proves (if anything) that Boris Karloff is certainly capable of carrying such an impressive work of terror well on his own without the aid (or presence) of his "friends" (ie. Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Bela Lugosi, Basil Rathbone and Lon Chaney, Jr.).

climax-3.jpg

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Poster%20-%20Tower%20of%20London%20(1939)_03.jpg

He turned a Nation into a Chamber of Horrors!

Keeping this discussion thread alive for what it's worth.

It'd be stupendous if a quality bluray edition of Rowland V. Lee's prestigious TOWER OF LONDON (1939) primarily a Basil Rathbone vehicle with (stalwart) support by Boris Karloff and Vincent Price could be made possible.

I read that Mr. Rathbone was wanted as the wicked justice in William Dieterle's awe-inspiring THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1939) but Universal Pictures had called first.

RKO's loss was definitely Universal's gain.

As with any such (potentially) expensive venture (for the consumer) an effort should be made (in addition to utilizing a fully restored and digitally remastered video transfer) to include as much bonus material as possible.

Bring us TOWER OF LONDON (1939) to bluray!

brr.png

Jeff T.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Please oh please give us THE OLD DARK HOUSE in a good print! This is my favorite of all the old Universal horror films. And after that THE BLACK CAT.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
warnerbro said:
Please oh please give us THE OLD DARK HOUSE in a good print! This is my favorite of all the old Universal horror films. And after that THE BLACK CAT.
Old Dark House isn't owned by Universal anymore.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
house_of_frankenstein_poster_06.jpg

All together the Screen's Titans of Terror!

If there is anything I (really) enjoy it's a monster rally of all the classic Universal Pictures stock company of fiends.

Universal missed a golden opportunity to do at least one (ambitious) production spotlighting its top horror star attractions Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney, Jr.

I would like to see a high definition release in bluray of THE HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944) but running at just 70 minutes it will (definitely) require bonus material (detailing its history) to handsomely augment it in a more expensive upgrade.

Please bring THE HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944) to bluray!

5163683420_f9386b7ab4.jpg

Jeff T.

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
JeffT. said:
All together the Screen's Titans of Terror!

If there is anything I (really) enjoy it's a monster rally of all the classic Universal Pictures stock company of fiends.

Universal missed a golden opportunity to do at least one (ambitious) production spotlighting its top horror star attractions Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney, Jr.
Let me know where you got the film featuring Lugosi so I can pick one up...

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Lots of Universal titles I'd love to buy on blu-ray including Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman , House Of Frankestein / Dracula , Man Made Monster , Invisible Ray , the Jungle Woman trilogy , Creature Trilogy , and many of the sci-fi films of the 50's .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks