What's new

Under $1000 Subwoofer Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just answered a similar question in THIS THREAD.

I watch more movies and TV than do straight up music listening (I wish I had time for more critical listening)...so I know SVS recommends their ported subs over the dealed for movies (and vice-versa). But I would suspect you really can't go wrong with either.

Real Name
Brendan
SVS makes some awesome subs.
I to went from a cheap 12 inch sub I got really cheap though it was prone to chuffing. Have now had a PB1000 for about 3 years though beware if you have decent towers that can do a low 40hz I found my 1000 to be insufficient. with book shelves it was the cats meow.
I now have a more powerful sub and my PB1000 has been unplugged for months.:dance:

TroyH4

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy
I'm considering buying 2 - SVS SB-2000's for my 13'x14'x9' size room.
These will be working in conjunction with my two Klipsch RP-280F towers.
I'm hoping the bass response I get from these two puppies will satisfy and make my BR movies sound amazing for this space.

TroyH4

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy
Craig, I'm also considering possibly going with dual Klipsch R-112SW's.
They don't go quite as low as the 2000's, but for my small space I think these might satisfy too.
Plus, Klipsch.com has a great deal going right now... if you purchase a set of their RP-280F towers, the throw in a free 112SW !

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
Craig, I'm also considering possibly going with dual Klipsch R-112SW's.
They don't go quite as low as the 2000's, but for my small space I think these might satisfy too.
Plus, Klipsch.com has a great deal going right now... if you purchase a set of their RP-280F towers, the throw in a free 112SW !

There's likely a reason they're doing that though... ;)

Free is always good - no question there - but if the sub doesn't satisfy your needs than the old adage "you get what you pay for" comes into play. The SVS will be a better sub, but if your expectations are met by the R-112 then it is a good deal. And if you were going to buy the 280 towers anyway than it's an even better deal. Worse case scenario is you get the sub for free, find out you don't like it and then sell it off to someone else and buy SVS. Whatever you get for the Klipsch would be cash in pocket, so it's all good really. :thumbsup:

LukyKuky

Auditioning
Real Name
Lukas
Just here to say thank you for this fabulous thread and hope you and your family are doing well.

sgress

Auditioning
Real Name
eros
Hi craig, thanks for your reviews.
I live in Italy and I would like to buy a subwoofer for the rp280f.
I'm undecided between:
r115sw 700 €
svs pc2000 899 €
svs pb2000 809 €

The klipsch I like more aesthetically and fits the style of rp280f.
But you say you recommend it less.
I want a lot of slam and punch.
I do not know which of the three guarantees more impact.
I do not know what advantages svs offer with coverage up to 16hz.

my use is to watch movies, no music.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Sgress - The Klipsch are still an excellent performer. My "less recommendation" was aimed at US buyers because for not much more money, they could purchase the excellent Hsu VTF-3 Mark V or the Rythmik FVX-15. Both also use a 15 inch driver in a fairly large "box" style cabinet.

The 12 inch SVS goes deeper, but the Klipsch has more slam. They are REALLY close overall, and considering the money savings, and the fact that the Klipsch matches your look, go with the Klipsch and enjoy.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My nearly 20 year old Energy e:XL-S12 is just about to give up the ghost. Initially I went to SVSound because, hey back in the day, SV (Ron and Tom) were active here and very well respected. Turns out they have sold and left the company (yeah I get it, welcome to last decade, dude) but hey I don't upgrade subs often so I really hadn't checked in with SVS in over 10 years.

So I googled Tom Vodhanel and came across Power Sound Audio. Looks like Tom's gone back to his roots. I chatted with him over the website's chat feature and he's still the same cool, chill, helpful guy I remember from the late 90s/early '00s from here. He even offered some advice on ways I might try to rescue my e:XL-S12 (which of course would result in losing a sale to him).

Well that convinced me that he will be getting my business. I will still try his recommendations to rescue my sub. But even if it works, it's moving into the bedroom. The main HT sub is going to be a PSA model. I'm thinking just the standard 15S. I live in an apartment so I don't want the biggest and baddest (read: eviction notice), but I want a musical, accurate and deep sub and the 15S looks to fit the bill.

I had not checked into the hardware forum here in a while but decided to today prior to making the purchase. I am surprised more people haven't bought or reviewed PSA subs. With their 60 day "we pay shipping both ways if you're not satisfied" policy, along with the super cool, non pressure chat I had with Tom (who again risked losing a sale by giving me free out-of-warranty advice on how to rescue a sub he didn't even manufacture or sell), I think he's earned the sale. I'll update once I'm in possession of it and put it through its paces.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
I had not checked into the hardware forum here in a while but decided to today prior to making the purchase. I am surprised more people haven't bought or reviewed PSA subs. With their 60 day "we pay shipping both ways if you're not satisfied" policy, along with the super cool, non pressure chat I had with Tom (who again risked losing a sale by giving me free out-of-warranty advice on how to rescue a sub he didn't even manufacture or sell), I think he's earned the sale. I'll update once I'm in possession of it and put it through its paces.

Just to clarify... you pay shipping both ways. It's built into the price. Don't think PSA is eating the cost. ;)

Many people have bought and/or reviewed PSA subwoofers, so there's certainly no lack of information available about their products. The first article I published on one of their products was over 5 years ago, the XS15 subwoofer. If you liked SVS you will probably enjoy PSA.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I get what you’re trying to say. But if I buy and don’t like it and return it and get my full $899 back to my card...how am I paying both ways again?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Let's have a discussion on the merits of free shipping both ways vs. the cost of advertising.

PSA, based on what I have seen, has an extremely low advertising cost. SVS, for example, spends FAR more money on ads than does PSA. The consumer, based on the logic that the cost of shipping is baked into the product price, also pays for the advertising.

It's pretty rare for a PSA sub to be returned, so the cost effect is minimal.

AND ... based on the performance of the V3601, it's hard to imagine someone not liking any PSA sub, especially considering they are USA built.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
I get what you’re trying to say. But if I buy and don’t like it and return it and get my full $899 back to my card...how am I paying both ways again?

Because the sub would be $799 without 'free' shipping. You either pay transportation as a separate line item or it's already factored into the initial cost. There's no free lunch I'm afraid.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No there is no free lunch. But again, if I returned it and got my full $899 back to the card, how again did I pay it?

If what you mean to say is that "free shipping" is baked into the cost of any good, regardless of company, I can agree with that. Maybe even that they add "a little extra" when they factor in the average % of returns (because surely not everyone returns their purchase).

But when they advertise "if you don't like it, free shipping both ways", in PSA's case is absolutely true. The math is not hard:

If I buy the $899 sub, my card is charged $899.
If I don't like it, I get to ship it back without paying anything.
My card is then refunded $899.
$899 - $899 = $0
So if I returned an unsatisfied purchase for a net cost of $0, I'm waiting to have it explained to me how I paid for shipping both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks