What's new

Ultimate Star Trek: TOS Cases (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

It looks like you get about 10" of shelf space back or enough space for 16 regular sized DVDs. Not a huge amount, but it's something.

Blu,

Thankfully, I have not gotten into collecting TZ as much as Star Trek. I probably have about 15 volumes total. But I have that 40th anniversary gift pack of Volumes 1-5 plus the American Masters documentary on Rod Serling. They came in a cardboard boz with CD jewel cases inside! I will probably eventually do a cover for a 6 DVD case for that one somewhere down the line...

I believe for Volume 8 I am going with the original version.

I will email Matt the high rezes today, hope you find them acceptable. I tried to clean them up as much as I could, remember all of these pix were taken from the web, so they were not always of the finest quality. If there are any huge probs, I will see what I can do about correcting them.

Live long and prosper!

Ric

Britton

Screenwriter
It's probably too late, but I would lose the Next Gen communicator icon (the delta with the oval) on the spines of the cases and replace them with just a delta (like in TOS) that has the "volume" numbers in the middle.

Job well done, regardless. Well done!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Doh! When I saw the symbol, I didn't remember that it was the exact design for TNGs communicators. I saw it out of context on a wallpaper background and just thought it made the Starfleet insignia a little fancier! I had started with just the plain insignia, but replaced it with this one. Can't remember where I got the old one now...

I was just gettin ready to send them off too! Is this a big deal? I guess if there are other objections I will try to correct this! If yer the only one...I may leave as is!

-Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
DAMN IT JIM, I'm a doctor, not a graphic artist!
The more I looked at that TNG insignia, the more it bothered me... So I'm gonna change them all to this one...
1012678713087_ST_DVD_1Bws.jpg
ST TOS #1 with new spine
Which of course means that I am not quite ready to send them out to DVD Cover Art. I would still assume by the end of the weekend! Nice catch Britton!
Later,
Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Wow Matt!

That was fast! You got them up less than 2 hours after I sent them! Thanks again for hosting them, and thanks to everyone else that showed so much interest.

I got a little scare yesterday...

The quintuple DVD cases were no longer on inetdvd's website! But looks like they got a new shipment in, cuz they're back on there today!

Maybe I'll eventually design insert sleeves, but for now I am just taking the original sleeves and sliding them in the cases. I'm still loading up the DVDs!

-Ric

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Although I imagine you already made up your mind, I'd go with the first version of Volume 8.

Lookin' great Ric! Keep it up!

(off to download those covers...and then to count my pennies to start buying TOS...LOL!)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the first version of Volume 8 is the one that made it! They are all available online at DVD Cover Art Thanks again for all your input! Now maybe I can get back to watching some DVDs!
-Ric

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Ric,
First and foremost, I love the covers.
Unfortunately, I think I just found a typo.
Volume 3 episode 29: You have it as "Operation-Annihiliate!" when it should be "...Annihilate!" (without the extra "i". A minor fix that I have already fixed on mine, but I thought you should know about.
(Ever look at a word long enough so that even when it is spelled correctly it looks wrong? :) )
Jimmy!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Would you believe that it's the British way of spelling Annihilate? Like Color and Colour? Didn't think so, DAMN!

Sorry about the mistake guys, Nice catch Jimmy. I hope that there wasn't alot of you that wasted bucks at Kinkos getting this one printed up. I just sent Matt the corrected one and will let you all know when it's on his site.

Thanks again, and sorry for the trouble! I must have looked at that thing a hundred times and never caught it... "D'oh!"

Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
The corrected Volume 3 is up. Sorry again about the mishap! Hopefully there are no more errors!

-Ric

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Looking for some tips on printing these out. I have a HP720c deskjet, what typw of paper is suggested and how to get these in the right size. Also any tips for printing at Kinko's office max or Staples.

And for Ric, Any chance on Next generation Volumes?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

I have a HP deskjet 722c, pretty close to your printer, and I had some nice results! The main problem is finding paper that is the right size. At Epson's web site, they have legal size photo paper, but here's what I did. I went to CompUSA and bought Epson's 19x13 photo paper. Then I went to Kinko's and used their big paper cutters to cut a bunch of sheets into two 8 1/2 x 13 sheets (almost legal size!) Then I went home to print them up on my own printer! I opened the Star Trek pix up in Photoshop, and somewhere under printer options (I forget exactly where, I'm at work right now) Photoshop lets you adjust how the pic is centered on the page. The default is centered, I changed it so that the pic favored the left side (about a half inch from the left side). Then I set the printer for best quality, photo paper, and changed the size to legal size paper. Oh, and don't forget to print it in horizontal or "landscape" mode! I also was able to set the printer for 300dpi. If you don't have Photoshop there are plenty of photo editors that let you do this. Heck, you may not need one at all.

As far as printing them up at Kinkos... I think you can load them all up on a CD and use their computers to print them up. I'm not sure how you go about choosing the right quality paper.

About Next Generation sleeves... I dunno, the cardboard boxes, like the X-files have never really bothered me that much, and the Next Gen boxes, while kind of plain, are not nearly as ugly as the Original series cases. It was also about a space saving issue for me. However, after a few volumes come out, I may get the bug to work on them. I will certainly let you folks know!

Let me know if this was helpful and if you have good results, as I said, mine turned out pretty nice!

-Ric

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I think from a logevity standpoint I want to replace the cardboard cases. I've hardly played around with my Sopranos set and it's getting tired on those accordian sleeves, and the TNG disks are in a similar sleeve. Plus they have the 7 disk cases now so they are perfect for each season. Thanks for the info on printing I'll give it a go first on the 710c

You've done such a great job on TOS maybe you'll put together a vol one and see what it looks like. THe upside is

you would'nt be under the gun to do seven volumes at once like you were with TOS.

Appreciate the job done on these.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I think I will wait and see how much I dislike the Next Gen boxset. (I assume you meant TNG and not TOS (The Original Series), since they are all done!)

As I have said before, I usually don't mind those big boxes as long as they are done well. But just in case... I have been looking around for a whole cast photo from the first season. I have seen a few in magazines lately, but cropped and of very poor quality. I would also like to find some nice head shots of the cast from each of the seasons.

However I am in the middle of a web design project right now, so if I did attempt this, it probably wouldn't be for awhile

Live Long and Prosper!

-Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks