What's new

Top 10 favourite 80s films that haven't been released in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
lukejosephchung said:
"On Golden Pond" was one of the titles specifically announced for definite blu-ray release by Shout Factory on their press release trumpeting their ITC licensing agreement. "The Abyss" is being released in the latter half of this year by Fox as a 25th Anniversary blu-ray, along with a 20th Anniversary blu-ray of "True Lies"...
I don't think this is a definite thing yet.
It's just rumours spread by fans.
Isn't it?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Konstantinos Zacharopoulos said:
I don't think this is a definite thing yet.
It's just rumours spread by fans.
Isn't it?
True Lies for sure because Eliza revealed she was recording a commentary track for it, i would also be surprised if The Abyss wasn't coming but you never know, maybe they will wait for the sequel to Avatar to come out since both share underwater themes.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
When You Coming Back, Red Ryder?

on Edit: actually was released in 1979, doesn't quite meet the criteria, but still like to have it.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Surprised that no one mentioned this "classic" (as in classic bad movie) featuring (very prominently) Madonna. Called Who's That Girl it was one of those then-forgettable movies that flopped at the BO but the soundtrack yielded a #1 hit smash for Madonna, also called Who's That Girl.

IMDB Entry on Who's That Girl.

To be honest I've never seen the movie myself but might be interested in a blu-ray as one of the "Awesome 80s" collections.

WhosThatGirl.jpg

From Wiki:
Who's That Girl is a 1987 American romantic comedy film written by Andrew Smith and Ken Finkleman, and directed by James Foley. It stars Madonna and Griffin Dunne, and depicts the story of a street-smart girl, who is falsely accused of murdering her boyfriend and is sent to jail. After getting released, she meets a man, who is supposed to make sure she gets on her bus back to Philadelphia, and convinces him to help her catch those responsible for her confinement. While searching for the embezzler, they fall in love with each other.
After the box-office failure of her 1986 film Shanghai Surprise, Madonna decided to sign another comedy film titled Slammer, which was later renamed to Who's That Girl. However, she had to convince both Warner Bros. and the producers of the film that she was ready for the project. Madonna enlisted her friend James Foley to direct the film. Shooting began in New York in October 1986, and continued until March 1987. Production was halted during December due to snowfall in New York. Madonna utilized the time to work on her next tour and the soundtrack of the film.
The film, released on August 8, 1987, ended up being a critical and commercial failure. It grossed $2.5 million in its first week, while its worldwide total was about $7.3 million, most of it coming from European markets. Reviewers were highly disappointed with the film, and Foley's direction. Some went on to call it one of the worst films to be released, while others found Madonna's comic timing to be one of the highlights.
However, the Who's That Girl World Tour went on to be a critical and commercial success, grossing a total of US $25 million, and playing in front of 1.5 million audiences. And the soundtrack of the film, though not acclaimed by the critics, enjoyed commercial success. Three of Madonna's songs were released as singles—the title track, "Causing a Commotion" and "The Look of Love", and the album went on to sell six million copies worldwide.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
This film is also a favourite, but not in my 10 favourite films list of the decade.
But I'd also would love a Bluray.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"True Lies for sure because Eliza revealed she was recording a commentary track for it."And Tom Arnold pretty much confirmed it also.But Madonna, good call. "Shanghai Surprise" is a genuine guilty pleasure. Young Sean Penn doing a favor for his fiancee. I read that Penn was pretty much drunk through the whole shoot. :)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
And while were on Madonna (I still think she has a great butt but that's me (Brad)), how about Desperately Seeking Susan?

(Funny how the guy (or guys) in the film end up with their pants down. Wonder why ??)

Desperately_Seeking_Susan_movie_poster.jpg

Excerpt from Wiki: Roberta (Rosanna Arquette) is an unfulfilled suburban housewife living in Fort Lee, New Jersey who is fascinated with a woman she only knows about by reading messages to and from her in the personals section of a New York City tabloid. This fascination reaches a peak when one such ad with the headline "Desperately Seeking Susan" proposes a rendezvous in Battery Park with the man who regularly seeks her. Roberta goes to Battery Park too, gets a glimpse of the woman (Madonna), and in a series of events involving mistaken identity, amnesia, and other farcical elements, Roberta goes from voyeur to participant in an Alice in Wonderland-style plot, ostensibly motivated by the search for a pair of stolen Egyptian earrings.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
Still waiting for:

Split Image (1982). Michael O'Keefe, Karen Allen, Peter Fonda, James Woods, Elizabeth Ashley, Brian Dennehy. A beautiful girl (Allen) convinces a boy (O'Keefe) to join a religious cult run by Fonda. Parents hire a deprogrammer (Woods) to get their son back. This has never been released on DVD either and apparently has been in some sort of rights limbo for many years.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
1. Teachers (1984)
2. Mannequin (1987)
3. The Secret of My Success (1987)
4. Best Seller (1987)
5. Masquerade (1988)
6. Lean on Me (1989)
7. Reversal of Fortune (1990) okay, cheat
8. Ordinary People (1980)
9. Nine to Five (1980)
10. Mommie Dearest (1981)
11. Pennies from Heaven (1981)
12. Oh Heavenly Dog (1980)

Okay, I realize I've cheated with Reversal of Fortune (couldn't resist, especially since I was so darn sure it was an 80's film until I checked IMDB.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
How about "Cop (1988)" with James Woods. That's a great film.And while we talk about cops, how about "Dead Bang (1989)" with Don Johnson? Another underrated flick.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jari K said:
How about "Cop (1988)" with James Woods. That's a great film.And while we talk about cops, how about "Dead Bang (1989)" with Don Johnson? Another underrated flick.
I love the ending to Cop.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
See, we can agree on things! ;)And how about some Sigourney: "Eyewitness (1981)", "Half Moon Street (1986)" and of course "The Year of Living Dangerously (1982)". Perhaps these all are already mentioned.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jari K said:
See, we can agree on things! ;)And how about some Sigourney: "Eyewitness (1981)", "Half Moon Street (1986)" and of course "The Year of Living Dangerously (1982)". Perhaps these all are already mentioned.
Sigourney wearing just black stockings and suspenders and standing in front of a mirror, i'll buy that for a dollar.

The Year of Living Dangerously is a superb film, love everything about it, i recorded it in HD off the BBC a few months back, upon viewing it i saw it was cropped to 1.78:1 and i deleted it, this is a film where the widescreen compositions are very important.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Nick*Z said:
1. Teachers (1984)
2. Mannequin (1987)
3. The Secret of My Success (1987)
4. Best Seller (1987)
5. Masquerade (1988)
6. Lean on Me (1989)
7. Reversal of Fortune (1990) okay, cheat
8. Ordinary People (1980)
9. Nine to Five (1980)
10. Mommie Dearest (1981)
11. Pennies from Heaven (1981)
12. Oh Heavenly Dog (1980)

Okay, I realize I've cheated with Reversal of Fortune (couldn't resist, especially since I was so darn sure it was an 80's film until I checked IMDB.
At least some of it was probably filmed in the 80's (the aerial shots maybe?), thus qualifying "Reversal Of Fortune" for this list on a technicality. Done. Well, now, what to do next? Oh, right, I'm off to look for those pristine prints of the Director's Cuts of "Raintree County" and "The Alamo".

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
FoxyMulder said:
The Year of Living Dangerously is a superb film, love everything about it, i recorded it in HD off the BBC a few months back, upon viewing it i saw it was cropped to 1.78:1 and i deleted it, this is a film where the widescreen compositions are very important.
Annoyingly, the cropped version seems to be the only one available on movie channels, as well as streaming and downloads.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I would like to add 3 more movies, that could be easily added to the "movies only you could love" thread too! :D

No Mercy
King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold

All 3, movies that I had seen in my childhood and love!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
UPDATE (15 July 2014): Per Brandon Conway (God Bless Him), Desperately Seeking Susan is getting a Blu Release on 14 October 2014 from Kino.

Now if we can just get Who's That Girl on blu, Madonna fans everywhere (those who have blu-ray players) will be celebrating.
Kyrsten Brad said:
And while were on Madonna (I still think she has a great butt but that's me (Brad)), how about Desperately Seeking Susan?

(Funny how the guy (or guys) in the film end up with their pants down. Wonder why ??)

attachicon.gif
Desperately_Seeking_Susan_movie_poster.jpg

Excerpt from Wiki: Roberta (Rosanna Arquette) is an unfulfilled suburban housewife living in Fort Lee, New Jersey who is fascinated with a woman she only knows about by reading messages to and from her in the personals section of a New York City tabloid. This fascination reaches a peak when one such ad with the headline "Desperately Seeking Susan" proposes a rendezvous in Battery Park with the man who regularly seeks her. Roberta goes to Battery Park too, gets a glimpse of the woman (Madonna), and in a series of events involving mistaken identity, amnesia, and other farcical elements, Roberta goes from voyeur to participant in an Alice in Wonderland-style plot, ostensibly motivated by the search for a pair of stolen Egyptian earrings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks