What's new

Top 10 favourite 80s films that haven't been released in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
Explorers
The Abyss
Tootsie
Xanadu
Streets of Fire
Come Back to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
The Changeling
Valley Girl
Crimes of the Heart
Foxes

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
In alphabetical order:

The Changeling
Come Back to the Five & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
Frances
Madame Sousatzka
Mona Lisa
Music Box
Only When I Laugh
Ordinary People
Raggedy Man
Yentl

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
TomF said:
Explorers
The Abyss
Tootsie
Xanadu
Streets of Fire
Come Back to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
The Changeling
Valley Girl
Crimes of the Heart
Foxes
Definitely with you on Xanadu, Tootsie and Foxes. I have Foxes on DVD.

I thought there was a 2fer Blu-ray pack featuring Valley Girl (and The Sure Thing) but I looked again and its a DVD. That's one I wish was out on Blu.

Working my own 80s list at this time. I'll put it up once I get done typing it up. Definitely more than 10 movies (16 in my case).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Bye Bye Brazil (1980)
The Changeling (1980)
The Ninth Configuration (1980)
Rough Cut (1980)
The Sea Wolves (1980)
Diva (1981)
Eye of the Needle (1981)
Gallipoli (1981)
Mephisto (1981)
Pennies From Heaven (1981)
S.O.B. (1981)
Night of the Shooting Stars (1982)
Pink Floyd The Wall (1982)
Veronika Voss (1982)
The Year of Living Dangerously (1982)
Careful, He Might Hear You (1983)
The Fourth Man (1983)
The Hunger (1983)
Le Bal (1983)
All of Me (1984)
Kaos (1984)
1984 (1984)
Top Secret! (1984)
After Hours (1985)
Into the Night (1985)
Mishima (1985)
Dark Eyes (1987)
Hope and Glory (1987)
Innerspace (1987)
Pascali's Island (1988)
She's Having a Baby (1988)
The Deceivers (1988)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988)
Enemies: A Love Story (1989)
The Tall Guy (1989)

I don't think any of these have been released in any region.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'm still stewing about the 1,000 favorite 50's films that haven't (and most probably won't) be released in blu-ray!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Dragonslayer (1981) Because Vermintrax Prejorative remains the best dragon on screen, ever.
vermithraxheadside22.jpg

The Hunger (1983) Catherine Denuve, David Bowie and Susan Sarandon
hunger_poster.jpg

Maurice (1987)
Maurice_Theatrical_release_poster.jpg

Xanadu (1980) Gene Kelley, Olivia Newton-John, ELO, Roller-scates and disco, that's why!
xanadu_-_custom_por_jhongilmon_dvd_80.jpg

The Pirates of Penance (1983)
u97ZpMmOWIF7leNrjX7NUZw2Idp.jpg

And last but far from least, Victor Victoria (1982) which should be a no-brainer for WB to release on Blu-ray.
victor-victoria-1982-11-g.jpg

I could add others, but these are the ones that make me the most blue that they are not on Blu-ray.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Dang, how could I forget Dragonslayer? Great choice.

I'll second a few others from this thread that were not in my original listing:

The Hunger - Very atmospheric. Been a fan since seeing this theatrically.
Local Hero
Atlantic City
Year of the Dragon - Big fan of Rourke's work in the '80s.
Diner
Salvador - I would agree with Reggie, that Woods turns in one of his best performances in this feature.

Speaking of Mickey Rourke (Year of the Dragon, Diner) how about The Pope of Greenwich Village? I've always enjoyed the pairing of Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts in that film.

I didn't list it because it is coming out soon, but another favorite that isn't (quite yet) on Blu-Ray is Walter Hill's Southern Comfort which will be released on July 8th, 2014.

- Walter.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Maurice
My New Partner
Parting Glances
Round Midnight
The Fabulous Baker Boys
The Moderns
Cutter's Way
Choose Me
Murphy's Romance
She's Gotta Have it
The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, here's my list. I had started to do a paragraph for each selection but decided it was just too much typing to get it ready. And you all probably wouldn't read thru the whole thing. I did type out one selection and for some of these, I already have full threads posted here. I'll update this a little later with the links.

Maximum Overdrive (1986): Now who remembers the iconic toy company semi-truck with the scary clown face?

Foxes (1980): From the original ads, you'd think this would be a teen-sex comedy. Far from it and features some great acting by a young Jodie Foster.

Xanadu (1980): We all know this flopped at the box office but now that I own the TT blu Cover Girls (1944), this would be a interesting addition. I saw it in Guantanamo in 1981 and I didn't think it was so bad.

Dr. Detroit (1983): Comedy superstar Dan Aykroyd stars as a mild-mannered professor of chivalry and infamous underworld pimp in the hilarious comic romp Doctor Detroit. When Professor Clifford Skridlow (Aykroyd) accidentally gets conned into taking on the persona of "Doctor Detroit," he soon finds himself up to his neck in luscious ladies, the Chicago Mob, and a notorious crime czar called "Mom" (Kate Murtagh). It's comedic chaos all the way as Aykroyd attempts to juggle two very different career paths without losing his life or his mind. From the producers of The Blues Brothers, and co-starring Donna Dixon and Fran Drescher, comes the laugh-out-loud film about a man committed to making the world safe for insanity (from Amazon.com).

Ghostbusters II (1989)

Star 80 (1983): The sad story of Dorothy Stratten, well done by Mariel Hemingway.

Personal Best (1982): Another Mariel Hemingway film but this one tells a real good story of young girls training for the 1980 Olympics (boycotted of course).

Valley Girl (1983): A early Nicholas Cage effort.

Big Bad Mama II (1987): How bout a double dipper with the 1974 original Bad Bad Mama. Oh in the original, Angie Dickinson at age 40 basically put most Playboy centerfolds to shame. And don't forget the gorgeous centerfold Julie McCollough playing a gun-toting teenage girl.

Trading Places (1984): OOPS, ALREADY OUT. Thanks.

Prom Night (1980): The original with Jaime Lee Curits.

Chopping Mall (1986) Not much into slashers but anything with the lovely (still lovely to this day) Kelli Maroney is worth it.

Roller Boogie (1980): Our Exorcist girl Linda Blair all grown up and looking great. Would make a nice blu set with Skatetown USA (1979) and Xanadu (1980)

Last Married Couple in America (1980): See my write-up in the thread for this movie.

Blame It On Rio (1983) Michelle Johnson and Demi Moore on blu (topless no less). Better yet though the acting talents of Michael Caine and Joseph Bologna. I have a write up here on the Blu-ray forum in its own thread.

Tootsie (1982)

Private School (1983): A nice follow up to Fast Times at Ridgemont High for Phoebe Cates but she's big time overshadowed by the drop-dead beauty of Betsy Russell, " the finest example of bare-back riding I've ever seen".

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982)

Coming to America (1988): Nice to see a last brief performance by the legendary Don Ameche. UPDATE, already out, thanks folks.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Trading Places and Coming to America have been available for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks