What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Top 10 Favourite 70s films that haven't been released in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tezuka's PHOENIX 2772 is one weird outlier of a movie, even for animation. I wouldn't mind seeing a properly subbed BD of the film, even if it was hard to figure exactly what was going on.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Start The Revolution Without Me
The Last Valley
The Last Of Shiela - who cares who did it, it's James Coburn being cool & waspish.
Ulzana's Raid
The Devils
The Boy Friend
The Day Of The Jackle
The Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
The Cheap Detective

Well nearly three years after this list, a couple are at last appearing; The Boy Friend plus Ulzana's Raid from Germany & Day Of The Jackal from Australia, but of course just being released on Blu-ray isn't enough, it has to look the part. Reading here, The Boy Friend has passed the audition, we'll see about the other two...& I see I got the spelling wrong on Jackal & Sheila.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I would really like Day of the Locust "jeepers creepers, where'd ya get those peepers..."

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I just learned of a highly acclaimed movie, Sounder (1972) and it seems very interesting.
Unfortunately I see the last DVD was released by Disney in 2003.
So unless another studio has the rights now, we'll never see a Bluray! :(

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
For this one, I'm going on a year by year basis and based on what I have already in my collection and eager to see the Blu treatment given.

Catch-22
Darling Lili (both theatrical & director's cut)
The Out-of-Towners
Ryan's Daughter
Zabriskie Point

Let's Scare Jessica to Death
Murphy's War
The Red Tent (both Russian & International versions)

Bad Company
The Possession of Joel Delaney
The Ruling Class
Ulzana's Raid

Bang the Drum Slowly
Charlotte's Web
The Day of the Jackal
The Last of Sheila
Paper Moon
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (all three versions)
Save the Tiger
Sisters

The Longest Yard
Murder on the Orient Express
The Parallax View
The White Dawn

The Day of the Locust

Obsession
The Shootist
Swashbuckler
The Tenant

Black Sunday
Islands in the Stream
The Other Side of Midnight
Suspiria

Heaven Can Wait
Pretty Baby
Up in Smoke

Real Life
Wise Blood

As you can see, a few from my initial list have made it to Blu. Here are some new additions in their place:

Waterloo (1970)
Death in Venice (1971)
The Hospital (1971)
Klute (1971)
Lawman (1971)
Plaza Suite (1971)
See No Evil (1971)
Valdez is Coming (1971)
Avanti! (1972)
The Hot Rock (1972)
Images (1972)
Slaughterhouse-Five (1972)
Sounder (1972)
Charley Varrick (1973)
Cinderella Liberty (1973)
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)
The Gambler (1974)
Night Moves (1975)
Smile (1975)
Murder by Death (1976)
Nickelodeon (1976)
The Cheap Detective (1978)
FM (1978)
Foul Play (1978)
Gray Lady Down (1978)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
As you can see, a few from my initial list have made it to Blu. Here are some new additions in their place:

The Hospital (1971)

I believe Twilight Time will be releasing The Hospital. So, that will be coming off your list...and mine too for that matter.

Also I have Charley Varrick on blu-ray from Germany. So, if you are region free I believe you can cross that off too.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Since we had mention this in this thread...

Just announced from Indicator:

034_EYES_OF_LAURA_MARS_BD_2D_packshot_72dpi_1000px_transp.png

http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/product/eyes-of-laura-mars-le

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was just looking for Paper Moon, another Paramount effort that got a Region B release but no Blu-ray on this side of the pond.

Reactions: PMF

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well Konstatinos beat me to it but yet another title off my original list. Powerhouse presents:
(Note to Twilight Time, if you're planning on releasing this, I just might wait for your release if you get the word out before November.

EyesOfLauraMars_Blu_Powerhouse.jpg

Original note: Eyes of Laura Mars (1977): From IMDB; "Suddenly Laura Mars can see through the eyes of a serial killer as he commits his crimes. She contacts the police and with the aid of a police detective, tries to stop the killer. But first, they have to figure out who it is.
From Brad: One of my 70s mystery favorites. Star Trek fans among us might (barely) recognize actor Rene Auberjonois (Odo from Deep Space Nine).

Link to Powerhouse: http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/product/eyes-of-laura-mars-le

Ronald Epstein, let me know if you can get a HTF link set up for this.

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Aloha Bobby & Rose (1975): From Wikipedia: " In 1970s Hollywood, small-time auto mechanic Bobby (Paul Le Mat) and fast food waitress Rose (Diane Hull) meet, and fall in love.

Arnold (1974): From IMDB, "Upon his death, Arnold marries his lover, Karen, in spite of his widow, and leaves deathtraps accompanied by audiotapes and his preserved and articulate corpse for those who cared only for his money."emale cast, big breasts with dizzying cleavage.

Ben (1972): The sequel to the horror picture Willard. Saw this one at age 12. (UPDATE: Blu announced, details later).

Bermuda Triangle (1978): From IMDB; "The passengers and crew of a boat on a summer cruise in the Caribbean stray near the famed Bermuda Triangle, and mysterious things start happening."

Big Bad Mama (1974): From IMDB; "After the death of her lover, Wilma takes over his bootlegging business, but without much success. She soon meets up with bank robber Fred, who convinces her and her daughters to join him for his next big heist. (UPDATE: Blu now available on Amazon).

Black Hole, The (1979): Disney's big 1979 sci-fi effort trying to cash in on the sci-fi craze spearheaded by Star Wars. Definitely Disney's "darkest" film to that date
Link to my HTF Write-Up on The Black Hole.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979): Of course the movie that spawned a two-season TV series and a sentimental favorite among many sci-fi fans. Personally I'd like to see a complete remaster like was done with Star Trek TOS but make sure that the original versions come with a remaster. (UPDATE: Region B Blu-ray announced for all except theatrical cut, now available for pre-order from various overseas vendors.)

California Dreaming (1977): From Wiki; "A young man named T.T. moves from Chicago to California for the summer. He quickly becomes adapted to the new pace of life, learning several lessons along the way."

Chiorboys, The (1977): One of the first "Police Comedys" but a much darker film than the later films such as Dragnet (1984). Also a early exploration into the gay lifestyle.

Escape from Alcatraz (1979): Clint Eastwood in a new role for him. You could say that 1979 was Clint's year for trying new roles (i.e. Every Which Way But Loose). UPDATE, Region A Blu available on Amazon.

Eyes of Laura Mars (1977): From IMDB; "Suddenly Laura Mars can see through the eyes of a serial killer as he commits his crimes. She contacts the police and with the aid of a police detective, tries to stop the killer. But first, they have to figure out who it is. UPDATE: Powerhouse Films overseas releasing EOLM on region-free Blu on Nov 20th, 2017.

Golden Girl (1979): Susan Anton looking beautiful as a female athlete. What killed this film was the U.S. boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

Goodbye Girl (1978): From IMDB; " After being dumped by her live-in boyfriend, an unemployed dancer and her 10-year-old daughter are reluctantly forced to live with a struggling off-Broadway actor." UPDATE: Blu now available.

I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978): A early effort here from Back To The Future film geinuses Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale.
From Wikipedia: " Four girls from
Maplewood, New Jersey set off to New York City to see the Beatles' guest appearance on the Ed Sullivan television show. UPDATE: Region B Blu now available from Amazon UK

Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973): This R-rated B movie (no pun intended) was written by future Star Trek movie director Nicholas Meyer. Basically your male fantasy sexual/sci-fi movie from the early 1970s era and a late night drive in staple. But a fun movie nontheless. UPDATE: Blu now available from Shout (I think)

Lady In Red (1979): A early post-Nancy Drew effort here (created by Roger Corman) from the lovely, and still lovely to this day Pamela Sue Martin. Robert Conrad also makes an appearance as Dillinger.

Malibu Beach (1979): A sentimental favorite of mine here despite it having basically no plot, no depth of character and basically no real redeeming social value, save for maybe muscle-head Dugan (Steve Oliver) finding love at the very end.

Ode to Billie Joe (1976): This was a tear jerker for high school girls back in 1976. Going with my girlfriend to see it that summer, she made sure to cover my eyes when there might be some female nudity (I don't believe there was but it was close).

One & Only (1977): Taking a brief break from his greaser tough-guy roles (Happy Days, Lords of Flatbush), Henry Winkler plays a aspiring actor fresh out of college looking for his big break thru 1950s era studio wrestling. UPDATE: Blu now available (Olive release) on Amazon.

Pretty Baby (1978) (Thanks Walter Kittel): Brooke Shields rookie role and quite a controversial one due mostly to (non-sexual) nudity on her part. That and the portrayal of her character's virginity being auctioned off.

Skatetown USA (1979) : Oh yes, here is my big favorite for a Blu-ray release, though none seems to be coming as of yet. Nor was there ever any home media release ever (no VHS, LD or DVD). Here's a link to my Skatetown USA Write-Up here on HTF

Star Wars (Original Theatrical Cut, 1977): There seems to be a lot of demand in the classic film fandom for the original Star Wars. I'm rather partial to the updated versions myself but would love to have the original on blu as well for comparison purposes.

Thank God Its Friday (1978): OK so Saturday Night Fever was the defining disco-themed film from the late 1970s era but in my opinion Thank God Its Friday gave us a better picture of the fun side of disco. Write up on Thank God Its Friday on HTF

====================================================================================================

That makes 6 from my original list making their way to Blu-ray in one form or another. Some like Buck Rogers are "partial" releases (TV Series in HD while OT is SD). Now to work on some additions to this list to replace the Blus.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Golden Girl (1979): Susan Anton looking beautiful as a female athlete. What killed this film was the U.S. boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

I don't think that's quite right Brad. Golden Girl opened in New York City in mid June 1979 and flopped immediately, barely lasting two weeks at the prestigious first run theaters showing it. After playing off for a few weeks in lesser venues as a moveover, it disappeared from screens completely within about a month of its release. We didn't decide to boycott the Olympics until the Soviets missed the February 1980 deadline to leave Afghanistan and the final decision wasn't made until spring of 1980. I don't see how it could have affected THIS movie as it had already had its "dance" the previous summer.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Soldier Blue (1970)
Road to Salina (1971)
McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)
Murmur of the Heart (1971)
The Nightcomers (1972)
Lacombe, Lucien (1974)
Visit to a Chief's Son (1974)
Beyond the Door (1974)
Homebodies (1974)
Hustle (1975)
Peur sur la ville (1975)
The Ultimate Warrior (1975)
The Next Man (1976)
Two-Minute Warning (1976)
Get Out Your Handkerchiefs (1978)
Phantasm (1979)
Three years on and only four titles crossed off my list. (Yes, I know Soldier Blue and The Nightcomers have Reg B releases.) Surprised, given the vibrant market for horror films, that nobody has released Homebodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks