What's new

Top 10 Favourite 70s films that haven't been released in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My Top Ten Lists - one English language, the other foreign-language titles. I am listing only those that haven't even been rumored for Blu-ray release yet. I'll check back in a year..

FOREIGN
SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE (Criterion should still have this)
THE OFFICIAL STORY
ALLEGRO NON TROPPO
JU DOU
SMALL CHANGE (MGM/UA)
THE VIRGIN SPRING (Criterion should still have this)
FIRES ON THE PLAIN (Criterion should still have this)
THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL (Criterion should still have this)
LOS OLVIDADOS
TAE GUK GI

ENGLISH
ORDINARY PEOPLE (Paramount)
SOUNDER (1972, originally distributed by 20th Century-Fox)
A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA (20th Century-Fox)
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (Disney)
AT PLAY IN THE FIELD OF THE LORD (Universal)
LUST FOR A VAMPIRE (Hammer)
D.O.A. (1950 - a really good transfer)
THE MAGIC SWORD (MGM/UA)
ONE TWO THREE (MGM/UA)
I WANT TO LIVE! (MGM/UA)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
The Man (1972) - starring James Earl Jones

I've never seen this but would like to, as it had a strong cast as well as a screenplay written by Rod Serling. Apparently it was intended to be a TV movie but ended up getting a theatrical release instead. From what I can tell, it's never been released on VHS, DVD or Blu-ray.

I thought of this film tonight because today the Decades channel has been running a 1972 Dick Cavett interview with Serling in which he was promoting it.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well, time to update my original 70s Favourite Wish List. First a review and scratch-out any new Blu releases

==============================
Aloha Bobby & Rose (1975): From Wikipedia: " In 1970s Hollywood, small-time auto mechanic Bobby (Paul Le Mat) and fast food waitress Rose (Diane Hull) meet, and fall in love.

Arnold (1974): From IMDB, "Upon his death, Arnold marries his lover, Karen, in spite of his widow, and leaves deathtraps accompanied by audiotapes and his preserved and articulate corpse for those who cared only for his money."emale cast, big breasts with dizzying cleavage.

Ben (1972): The sequel to the horror picture Willard. Saw this one at age 12. (UPDATE: Blu announced, details later).

Bermuda Triangle (1978): From IMDB; "The passengers and crew of a boat on a summer cruise in the Caribbean stray near the famed Bermuda Triangle, and mysterious things start happening."

Big Bad Mama (1974): From IMDB; "After the death of her lover, Wilma takes over his bootlegging business, but without much success. She soon meets up with bank robber Fred, who convinces her and her daughters to join him for his next big heist. (UPDATE: Blu now available on Amazon).

Black Hole, The (1979): Disney's big 1979 sci-fi effort trying to cash in on the sci-fi craze spearheaded by Star Wars. Definitely Disney's "darkest" film to that date
Link to my HTF Write-Up on The Black Hole.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979): Of course the movie that spawned a two-season TV series and a sentimental favorite among many sci-fi fans. Personally I'd like to see a complete remaster like was done with Star Trek TOS but make sure that the original versions come with a remaster. (UPDATE: Region B Blu-ray announced for all except theatrical cut, now available for pre-order from various overseas vendors.)

California Dreaming (1977): From Wiki; "A young man named T.T. moves from Chicago to California for the summer. He quickly becomes adapted to the new pace of life, learning several lessons along the way."

Chiorboys, The (1977)

Escape from Alcatraz (1979): Clint Eastwood in a new role for him. You could say that 1979 was Clint's year for trying new roles (i.e. Every Which Way But Loose). UPDATE, Region A Blu available on Amazon.

Eyes of Laura Mars (1977): From IMDB; "Suddenly Laura Mars can see through the eyes of a serial killer as he commits his crimes. She contacts the police and with the aid of a police detective, tries to stop the killer. But first, they have to figure out who it is.

Golden Girl (1979)

Goodbye Girl (1978): From IMDB; " After being dumped by her live-in boyfriend, an unemployed dancer and her 10-year-old daughter are reluctantly forced to live with a struggling off-Broadway actor."

I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978): A early effort here from Back To The Future film geinuses Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale.
From Wikipedia: " Four girls from Maplewood, New Jersey set off to New York City to see the Beatles' guest appearance on the Ed Sullivan television show
. UPDATE: Region B Blu now available from Amazon UK

Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973): This R-rated B movie (no pun intended) was written by future Star Trek movie director Nicholas Meyer. Basically your male fantasy sexual/sci-fi movie from the early 1970s era and a late night drive in staple. But a fun movie nontheless. UPDATE:DVD Available as part of a four-film set, no Blu yet.

Lady In Red (1979): A early post-Nancy Drew effort here (created by Roger Corman) from the lovely, and still lovely to this day Pamela Sue Martin.

Malibu Beach (1979): A sentimental favorite of mine here despite it having basically no plot, no depth of character and basically no real redeeming social value, save for maybe muscle-head Dugan (Steve Oliver) finding love at the very end.

Ode to Billie Joe (1976): This was a tear jerker for high school girls back in 1976. Going with my girlfriend to see it that summer, she made sure to cover my eyes when there might be some female nudity (I don't believe there was but it was close).

One & Only (1977): Taking a brief break from his greaser tough-guy roles (Happy Days, Lords of Flatbush), Henry Winkler plays a aspiring actor fresh out of college looking for his big break thru 1950s era studio wrestling. UPDATE: Blu now available (Olive release) on Amazon.

Pretty Baby (1978) (Thanks Walter Kittel): Brooke Shields rookie role and quite a controversial one due mostly to (non-sexual) nudity on her part. That and the portrayal of her character's virginity being auctioned off.

Skatetown USA (1979) : Oh yes, here is my big favorite for a Blu-ray release, though none seems to be coming as of yet. Nor was there ever any home media release ever (no VHS, LD or DVD). Here's a link to my Skatetown USA Write-Up here on HTF

Star Wars (Original Theatrical Cut, 1977): There seems to be a lot of demand in the classic film fandom for the original Star Wars. I'm rather partial to the updated versions myself but would love to have the original on blu as well for comparison purposes.

Thank God Its Friday (1978): OK so Saturday Night Fever was the defining disco-themed film from the late 1970s era but in my opinion Thank God Its Friday gave us a better picture of the fun side of disco. Write up on Thank God Its Friday on HTF

====================================================================================================

That makes 5 from my original list making their way to Blu-ray in one form or another. Some like Buck Rogers are "partial" releases (TV Series in HD while OT is SD). Now to work on some additions to this list to replace the Blus.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
La Luna
Big Wednesday
Day of the Jackal
The Silent Partner
The Last of Sheila
Heaven Can Wait

From others' lists, "The Seven Ups" is available in Germany and "The Long Goodbye" in the UK & France, "Silent Running" in the UK and Germany.

La Luna is finally being released on blu-ray in December from Kino, with extras to boot!!!!!!! Fantastic!!!!!

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...uccis-la-luna-bluray-dated-and-detailed/34795

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, a big Cleveland Indians WAHOO!! as another 70s Favourite comes off this list:

The Goodbye Girl (1978) says Hello to Blu:

GoodbyeGirl_Blu.jpg

=====================================
Original write-up:
Goodbye Girl (1978): From IMDB; " After being dumped by her live-in boyfriend, an unemployed dancer and her 10-year-old daughter are reluctantly forced to live with a struggling off-Broadway actor."
From Brad: Surprising that this one has never seen a Blu release as it was very well known back in late 1977/ early 1978 and won a Oscar for Best Actor (Richard Dreyfuss). Definitely needs a Blu.

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
And another one coming off my original list coming in early 2017 as announced by Scream Factory on their FB page. Scream will be releasing Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973) on Blu-ray in the Spring (or Summer) of 2017.

Fun thing about this film is that it was directed by one Nicholas Meyer whom we all know & love for his best-ever Star Trek film bar none, Star Trek, The Wrath Of Khan (1982).

==========================================================================

Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973): This R-rated B movie (no pun intended) was written by future Star Trek movie director Nicholas Meyer. Basically your male fantasy sexual/sci-fi movie from the early 1970s era and a late night drive in staple. But a fun movie nontheless.

InvasionOfTheBeeGirls-HBO1.jpg

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
[*]Tales from the Crypt - USA release
[*]Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
[*]Terror of Mechagodzilla
[*]Warlords of Atlantis
[*]Land That Time Forgot
[*]Phantasm
[*]What Have You Done to Solange ?
[*]Time After Time

[*]I,Monster
[*]The Creeping Flesh

Not bad - 5 out of 10 since my post in 2014 :)
Warlords of Atlantis needs an HD master
The Creeping Flesh is out there somewhere
I, Monster needs an HD Master
and the two Godzilla movies - I bet Kraken gets both

Here are 5 more favs from the 70s that I want

Legend of the Werewolf (the owner wants too much $$)
Equinox (with Criterion)
The Day of the Jackal (Universal)
Planet of the Dinosaurs (Retromedia)
Where Time Began ( formerly with Code Red)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Hospital
Looking for Mr. Goodbar
Where the Lilies Bloom
The Parallax View

Two honorable mention from the late 60's: Paper Lion, and Number One

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Update to my original list as of Dec 25th,2016.
==============================================================================

Aloha Bobby & Rose (1975): From Wikipedia: " In 1970s Hollywood, small-time auto mechanic Bobby (Paul Le Mat) and fast food waitress Rose (Diane Hull) meet, and fall in love.

Arnold (1974): From IMDB, "Upon his death, Arnold marries his lover, Karen, in spite of his widow, and leaves deathtraps accompanied by audiotapes and his preserved and articulate corpse for those who cared only for his money."emale cast, big breasts with dizzying cleavage.

Ben (1972): The sequel to the horror picture Willard. Saw this one at age 12.
(UPDATE: Blu announced, details later).

Bermuda Triangle (1978): From IMDB; "The passengers and crew of a boat on a summer cruise in the Caribbean stray near the famed Bermuda Triangle, and mysterious things start happening."

Big Bad Mama (1974): From IMDB; "After the death of her lover, Wilma takes over his bootlegging business, but without much success. She soon meets up with bank robber Fred, who convinces her and her daughters to join him for his next big heist.
UPDATE: Blu now available on Amazon.

Black Hole, The (1979): Disney's big 1979 sci-fi effort trying to cash in on the sci-fi craze spearheaded by Star Wars. Definitely Disney's "darkest" film to that date
Link to my HTF Write-Up on The Black Hole.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979): Of course the movie that spawned a two-season TV series and a sentimental favorite among many sci-fi fans. Personally I'd like to see a complete remaster like was done with Star Trek TOS but make sure that the original versions come with a remaster.

"UPDATE: Blu now available from Amazon UK (tested region free so far)". All in HD except for theatrical release which is only SD.

California Dreaming (1977): From Wiki; "A young man named T.T. moves from Chicago to California for the summer. He quickly becomes adapted to the new pace of life, learning several lessons along the way."

Chiorboys, The (1977): A rather zany (but somewhat serious) police comedy which was quite risque for its time.

Escape from Alcatraz (1979): Clint Eastwood in a new role for him. You could say that 1979 was Clint's year for trying new roles (i.e. Every Which Way But Loose).
UPDATE, Region A Blu available on Amazon.

Eyes of Laura Mars (1977): From IMDB; "Suddenly Laura Mars can see through the eyes of a serial killer as he commits his crimes. She contacts the police and with the aid of a police detective, tries to stop the killer. But first, they have to figure out who it is.

Golden Girl (1979): A fictional Olympic starring gorgeous Susan Anton which was filmed shortly before the announcement of the U.S. boycott of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow.

UPDATE: Blu now available as of October 2016.

I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978): A early effort here from Back To The Future film geinuses Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale.
From Wikipedia: " Four girls from Maplewood, New Jersey set off to New York City to see the Beatles' guest appearance on the Ed Sullivan television show
UPDATE: Region B Blu now available from Amazon UK

Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973): This R-rated B movie (no pun intended) was written by future Star Trek movie director Nicholas Meyer. Basically your male fantasy sexual/sci-fi movie from the early 1970s era and a late night drive in staple. But a fun movie nontheless. UPDATE:DVD Available as part of a four-film set, no Blu yet.
UPDATE: Scream Factory announced a Blu-ray release for early-mid 2017. No exact date yet.

Lady In Red (1979): A early post-Nancy Drew effort here (created by Roger Corman) from the lovely, and still lovely to this day Pamela Sue Martin.

Malibu Beach (1979): A sentimental favorite of mine here despite it having basically no plot, no depth of character and basically no real redeeming social value, save for maybe muscle-head Dugan (Steve Oliver) finding love at the very end.

Ode to Billie Joe (1976): This was a tear jerker for high school girls back in 1976. Going with my girlfriend to see it that summer, she made sure to cover my eyes when there might be some female nudity (I don't believe there was but it was close).

One & Only (1977): Taking a brief break from his greaser tough-guy roles (Happy Days, Lords of Flatbush), Henry Winkler plays a aspiring actor fresh out of college looking for his big break thru 1950s era studio wrestling.
UPDATE: Blu now available (Olive release) on Amazon.

Pretty Baby (1978) (Thanks Walter Kittel): Brooke Shields rookie role and quite a controversial one due mostly to (non-sexual) nudity on her part. That and the portrayal of her character's virginity being auctioned off.

Skatetown USA (1979) : Oh yes, here is my big favorite for a Blu-ray release, though none seems to be coming as of yet. Nor was there ever any home media release ever (no VHS, LD or DVD). Here's a link to my Skatetown USA Write-Up here on HTF

Star Wars (Original Theatrical Cut, 1977): There seems to be a lot of demand in the classic film fandom for the original Star Wars. I'm rather partial to the updated versions myself but would love to have the original on blu as well for comparison purposes.

Thank God Its Friday (1978): OK so Saturday Night Fever was the defining disco-themed film from the late 1970s era but in my opinion Thank God Its Friday gave us a better picture of the fun side of disco. Write up on Thank God Its Friday on HTF

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
And a real rat of a movie [emoji327] comes off this list come May 16th.

Ben (1972) along with its prequel Willard (1971) will be released onto Blu-ray May 16th by Scream Factory according to the folks over on Blu-ray.com.

I'll be keeping a eye out for official confirmation from Scream Factory.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Updates to OP list. Two more titles to Blu.
==============================================================================

Ben (1972): The sequel to the horror picture Willard. Saw this one at age 12.
(UPDATE: Blu announced, release date May 18th, 2017).

UPDATE: Scream Factory announced a Blu-ray release for April 4th 2017, pre-order available using Ronald Epstein's Amazon link in separate thread).

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

This is coming from Indicator!! :):dancing-banana-04:

But, picking a few titles at random, I can tell you that Alan Parker's Birdy , Jack Gold's The National Health, and Irvin Kershner's The Eyes of Laura Mars, written by John Carpenter are all forthcoming.
http://www.dvdcompare.net/features/powerhouse_interview.php

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks