What's new

Time After Time - SPOILER (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh, why the hell did you have to resurrect this thread? If my girlfriend ever needed proof of my insanity/failing memory.....this is it!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i remember saw this in the theater but that was the last and only time i saw it.
i have the dvd but havent watched it yet.

i dont remember the photo in the movie, only because it was so long ago since i saw it.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'm not sure about the scene in question. But I just recently watched this movie for the first time in years.
I really like this movie, it is good, fun entertainment.
But one thing bugs me, and this happens a lot in time travel movies. Wells seems to forget he has, or can get, access to his time machine. Things haven't been going too well, girls have gotten killed. He has learned where Jack is staying. Go back in time again and nab Jack right away.
Also, he feels he has to rush out of his house in the machine. He could have taken 2 weeks to get ready, get plenty of money out etc., and still gone to the exact date and time Jack went to.
:D

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Um, oh yeah, I thought it was there too. The first time I saw this movie was from HBO in the early eighties. Had it recorded off of there on Beta for about 20 years, but I'm sure it has hit the trash by now. Besides, I have nothing to play it on.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting thread, just discovered it.

This is a witty and fun film. I think the first time I saw it was on network TV. I do not recall the photo. But I was so curious by this thread, I had a possible theory. The people who have this memory of the photo of HG and Amy at the end of the film I believe saw it on TV, not in the theater. My thoery was that because it was seen on TV, they saw the pan and scan version. And with the P&S version, a photo could have been in the shot and due to the P&S process, it was artificially taking prominence in the frame.

So I just took a look at my DVD and failed to prove my point. I thought if I used the zoom feature on my new TV, I could sort of simulate P&S. It just stretched the image vertically. I could see a photo hanging on the wall on the left side of the screen during the coda and ending credits. The photo does depict what looks to me as a portrait of a woman with her 2 children in front and below her head. That's about all I could find without taking the time to watch the whole movie!

Nelson

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I just read this post to my wife, as we're both SOMEWHERE IN TIME fans. She doesn't recall such a scene in that movie, but suggests that such a picture exists at the end of another time-travel movie, KATE & LEOPOLD with Meg Ryan. I've seen that one far less often and can't swear to it myself, but my wife has a good memory for these things.

Harry

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Just looked for that old beta tape, it's nowhere to be found! I probably tossed it once I bought the movie on VHS and then DVD. The mystery will continue!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Love the movie. Some of it was filmed right around the Embarcadero Center where I now work.

I remember seeing it on Showtime when I was little. There was never a picture of them at the end.
Wrong movie.
Maybe you are thinking of The Girl, The Goldwatch and Everything?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I vaguely remember that on HBO in the 80's that at that moment the pic. went from pan and scanned to a VERY squished compressed perspective to get att the credits shown. (Nowadays they just usually letterbox at this point.) Whatever was in the background behind the machine just stayed there but the perspective changed and there was no cut in the shot. I don't have the dvd, can someone who does confirm if there is a cut?
HBO used to just show films (granted non-oar) the way they were in theatres but networks sometimes had different versions, (Jaws, Superman, Two minute warning for ex...) but would the network as opposed to HBO version of this actually bother to just alter one shot? And if Meyer doesn't say anything about it in the commentary than I believe it is simply a case of a false memory and then everyone else going, "Oh yeah....!!!"
Interesting idea, those who remember it, describe the specifics of the photo with spoilers then let's compare...
Use spoilers otherwise it will color everyone else's memories...
:) d

Haden

Supporting Actor
I recall a scene where H.G. Wells meets his old friend Biggs who had just returned from Oxford University, and Biggs told H.G. that he was planning to defect to the United States and rebel against those Imperialistic Brits. Anyone else remember that one? Hmm?

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
All this conversation and not one mention of the fine score by Miklós Rózsa. It was hearing the score on my local public radio station (back when it was actually good) that put this film on my radar. Glad it did because I really enjoyed the film.

Jodee

Screenwriter
This would be a good question for Roger Ebert's "Ask the Answer Man" column. He'd probably be able to directly contact the filmmakers for an answer.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
1. Despite its perhaps misleading title, the "Answer Man" is not a service to answer all movie questions. I'm looking for possible questions of GENERAL INTEREST for the Answer Man column. Read the column to get a notion of typical questions.

2. I cannot get involved in discussions of plot points of films no longer in current release.

8. I do not supply the answers to trivia questions.
Those are just the rules I thought pertinent. Would this question violate any of them?

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I've never seen this movie but after reading this thread I'm definitely putting it in my blockbuster queue. However, every Sat. night on "The Big Talker" 1210 AM, Steve Friedman aka Mister Movie has his call in show. He's a wealth of movie info, I'll try to call in and ask.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Wow - quite an interesting thread.
I can chime in here and definately say that I too remember the final shot with the photo. I saw the film three times in New Orleans on its original theatrical run. After just reading this thread, I finally threw in the DVD to check out the ending and that red coda feels totally new to me. There has to be two different cuts of this.
And before everybody starts calling me senile and throwing other movie titles at me, let me just make it 100% clear that I am specifically speaking about TAT. I have never even seen BTTF3 or any of those other films bandied about here. My memory is specifically about TAT and the ending I remember it having - not some other film, so please don't waste your time thinking of similar films to toss my way.
It appears that no home-video or taped-off-tv copy has the 'photo ending', at least from what we've seen here. Thus, it makes me think that some or all of the original theatrical prints contained the photo ending. That would most likely be where I saw it, because I don't believe I've ever watched it on video or tv all the way through. No one here has a theatrical print handy?
:D
I know an early poster said he used to own a print, but that doesn't verify this debate either since he no longer has it so that also just comes down to another person's memory. And for all those who never saw the film theatrically, how can you say that the photo wasn't there? And for those who did see it theatrically and don't remember the photo, maybe it's just your memory at fault? Or possibly after seeing the altered version so many times over the years on video and tv, you don't remember that the theatrical prints originally ended with the photo. See, it can work both ways.
Maybe a revival theater will scrounge up an old print someday and someone can check that out. Just revive this thread in a few more years or so. Maybe this mystery will be solved eventually - or maybe not.
And, finally, if that photo ending never does show up in any form ever again and can never be proven to exist, than I solemnly agree to check myself into a mental hospital. Because that photo WAS there, dammit! I'm absolutely sure - I think. :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just posted the question to Roger Ebert's site. I even included a link to this thread. Keep your eyes peeled for it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks