What's new

Time After Time - SPOILER (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Sorry, Tino, I scanned your post too quickly and missed the part where you wrote "I just checked" :b .

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hmmm, am I being "Ignored" here? I hope not, I know that I can be a bit brash sometimes but hopefully not to the point of someone clicking the Ignore button on me!:D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So basically we have ruled out all possibilities except perhaps a network airing that may have added that scene?:confused:
I'm pretty confident that no such scene ever existed and this is simply a case of mistaken memories.
But that's just me. Feel free to continue speculating.;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
More like mass confusion.:eek:
See Kevin, I'm reading your posts.:D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If I was alone in this "confusion" I might take offense to that!:D
Does anyone around the Forum actually use the Ignore button? I mean, truly ignorant attacks are dealt with by the administrators rather swiftly around here so I never see any reason to use it, unless I was being childish about how much I disagree with someone.;)

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to resist chiming in (because I'm probably nuts), but couldn't. For whatever reason, I too remember the photograph ending.

My earliest viewings of the movie were not theatrical, or tape or ld or HBO, but broadcast TV. I'll not challenge those who have already ruled out all the others; I believe them (I do have the LD).

So just maybe it was a broadcast version cut or maybe mass hallucination, but I do remember the photograph right where it should be - after welles and amy leave the welles museum, the camera finds it among the display items. What in turn seems odd to me is the "red text" coda, even though that's probably the way I've seen it the last half-dozen times I've watched the movie.

Glad someone brought this up - I've thought of this before the last couple times I watched it and wondered if I was imagining things. At least I'm not the only one.

One last dim possibility: My earliest exposure to the story itself was reading the novelization by Karl Alexander well before seeing the movie. I suppose I could allow for the possibility that this was a "book" scene that stuck in my head and never was filmed; but if the other "hallucinators" here never read the novel then that's not it either.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Given the fact that there is no objective evidence presented to back up the existence of this scene, I do think the simplest explanation is faulty memory. It's not the first time that multiple people have thought something existed that didn't.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Robert, there hasn't been objective evidence presented yet either to prove that it's faulty memory. Just because noone's verified that the scene exists yet doesn't mean that it does not exist. Logicially, it hasn't been proven yet that anyone is wrong here.
So far, all we've established is that if the scene a few of us are remembering really does exist, then it is at best "uncommon", and probably more like "rare" or "extremely rare".
For those of you who are posting just to say that those of us who recall this scene are wrong, I ask you this: what's it to you? We've already established that it's not a commonly seen item. Please don't post to add to that, or to add the opinion that you think we're nuts/senile/victims of hypnosis. It's getting insulting.
Please only post if you can verify that you checked something which noone else has checked yet (like a recorded-off-network-broadcast version), and can state whether the scene is or isn't there.
Best thing to do is to leave this thread alone unless you can report that you found the scene. Everyone else forget it. Move along. Nothing to see here but us crazy hypnotized Alheimer's victims. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

David,
I think it's presumptuous of you to take on the responsibility as to state who can or cannot post in this thread. As long as other members are respectful in their comments without any type of offensive or insulting commentary that pollutes this thread then I don't see a problem with others posting to this thread.

Crawdaddy

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Crawdaddy, and everyone else: please don't misunderstand. Those weren't presumptuous "instructions" I was "issuing". I was making a request. I guess that's why I said "please" a lot.

Because I *do* feel insulted by some of what I've read in these responses. I know it wasn't meant personally, nor was it exactly thread-farting. Which is why I didn't report it to a mod.

So I was simply stating that I've heard the opposing viewpoint, and was requesting that we keep the thread on-track to solving the "mystery" presented here.

But I suppose I'm taking the whole thing far too seriously. It's not important, and I was prepared to disregard the whole thing until I saw Johnny's post. So why don't I go back to ignoring the memory of the picture in the museum; it's not worth me pissing all of y'all off for.

See ya' in the funny papers.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Holey Moley! I found it! The missing scene!

Sorry, couldn't resist! I do have another question about this film though. Is the DVD in Dolby Digital 5.1 or just regular Pro-Logic Surround? The case says DD but the first track is Pro-Logic, the second audio track is in French and the third is the commentary. My player wouldn't go to any further tracks even though the display seemed to indicate that there may be two more tracks...

BTW, this is one of my favorite movies of all time... The wife however, fell asleep.

Ric

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I checked my off-air VHS recording (UK broadcast from a few years back), and it had no such scene.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
The ONLY disappointing factor to this thread for me is....
That you guys who claim memories of this "scene" never venture out to see this movie until it hit NETWORK tv.
TAT screams to be seen in it's "uncropped/comerical free/ un-edited for tv" form.
Chris

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
Gee Chris, I was only 14 when it came out, and had almost never been to the theater at that age (not much opportunity). I can count the exceptions on one hand, maybe two. I doubt seriously Time After Time played within ten miles of me anyway, and even then probably not for long. Wasn't that one of the unfortunate fates of the film? Not much box office?

Back then, if I heard about a movie that sounded interesting, I was most likely to have to read the novelization rather than get to see the movie. I'd finally get to see them when they came to broadcast TV (and I got my first VHS deck for my 18th birthday).

Time after Time sounded interesting at the time, and I bought and read the novelization. That constituted a pretty significant effort for me to "see" it back in those days.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Those who claim to remember such a scene should be very careful.
There is a possibility...slim but real...that we are all part of a government experiment in memory control that revised a part of our collective memory to remove this scene from this particular film.
By admitting that you remember the scene, you reveal to the government that you have escaped their neural net, and you may...emphasize may...be targeted for "removal."
(If any of you "remember" anything funny about the Presidential election of 2000, for God's sake don't breathe a word!)
Jan
"Just trying to keep things light."

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Is there perhaps a way to contact Nicholas Meyer to ask if there ever was such a scene or if he knows if the network added it in?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Well ... I just spent about two hours going through three huge storage boxes of VHS tapes out in my basement ... and I couldn't find the darn tape!

It sounds as though if this scene was depicted anywhere, it was on the CBS broadcast of the movie, and I didn't have a tape of that anyway.

I guess we'll just need to bow to the physical evidence presented here on this one ... but it really is crazy how the mind can play tricks of this nature sometimes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks