What's new
World Wide Stereo

Thoughts on this set-up... (1 Viewer)

SlimJeffy

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Hello all! I have been reading these forums today and I must say, there are a lot of extremely knowledgeable people here! So, I thought this would be a perfect place to reach out for some thoughts and suggestions on my first HTS.

Overview:
I am looking for something on the low-end as far as budgets go - about $2000 including television. The more I can get from Amazon the better as I have a ton of Amazon credit amassed. I imagine it will be used for movies and TV 90% and music 10% of the time. Although, I can see myself with a nice pair of headphones in the future might change that breakdown.

Room layout: HT area will be for my finished (carpeted, drywall and wood bookcases) part of the basement. Room is about 14' deep from TV wall to back wall. TV wall is 11' long. Facing the TV wall there are built-in bookshelves to the left and no wall on the right. (it opens to the "game area.") The plan is for a L-shaped couch along the back wall and dividing the HT area from the "game area." However, I can pull it out from the back wall a couple feet if that helps my cause.

Considering:
Samsung Electronics UN65MU6300 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (~$900)
Yamaha RX-V383BL 5.1-Channel 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver with Bluetooth (~$280)
Pioneer SP-FS52 Andrew Jones Designed Floor standing Loudspeaker x 2 (~$290)
Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker (~$80)
Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer (~$90)
Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speaker x 2 in the back (~$100)

With this 5.1 set-up (without wires) I am right around $1800 with tax. If there is a compelling reason why something in this set-up doesn't work,or could be improved. I am open to spending a little more to make it better.

Questions:
Overall thoughts on this combination?
Is the amp adequate for the speakers?
Anything you would change?

I know some people frown on mismatched speakers, but I am leaning towards the Polk OWM3 in the back strictly based on preferring not using speaker stands. With that being said, I did consider the Polk TL3s or Polk Audio Monitor 60s and Polk CS10 up front but some reviews seemed to indicate that the Pioneer SP-FS52s outperform the Polk floor speakers for about the same cost.

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, comments you may have to offer!

Cheers,
Jeff

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's simple enough to just install a couple small shelves to put the surrounds on. Then you can get the matching Pioneer bookshelf speakers (SP-BS22) instead of mismatched Polks. An insignificant amount of extra effort will noticeably improve the system. BTW, the surround speakers in a 5.1 system should go on the sides, not in the back.

I'd also drop the Polk sub for the vastly better BIC F12 or a Dayton SUB-1200 or SUB-1500.

Personally, I'd go with a 55" LG OLED instead of the 65" Samsung, but that will blow your budget, at the moment, anyway. Don't waste any money for "Smart" TV features. It's usually more flexible and cheaper to choose a streaming device, or two (Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, etc) instead of having it built into the TV. Blu-Ray players all have streaming features as well.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
With this 5.1 set-up (without wires) I am right around $1800 with tax. If there is a compelling reason why something in this set-up doesn't work,or could be improved. I am open to spending a little more to make it better.

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, comments you may have to offer!

Cheers,
Jeff

Just a quick comment on wires...

Don't waste a ton of money on them. Get cables and speaker wire from places like Monoprice.com. There is no advantage in spending $$$ on overpriced voodoo that some stores want to sell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks