What's new

International THIS ISLAND EARTH, QUESTOR & COLOSSUS On German Blu...BUT WAIT! (1 Viewer)

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
I'm in the UK and I've ordered this set just to get The Questor Tapes . And in the hope that either of the others might improve on the dvd

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Got this today.

If I had to use one word to sum it up that word would be rubbish.

There are 2 versions of Colossus on the disc , both in widescreen.

One is pretty awful and starts with the more modern Universal logo

Another version which I think is billed as NEW starts with the original Universal logo as it should be and the quality is better than the other one.

This Island Earth has a poor 4:3 version where the films title appears in German . Then a 16:9 version which is better looking and the title appears in English.

The Questor Tapes is presented from what looks like a mediocre tv print pulled off the shelf. It's adequate but nothing great.

Trivia note - the music that plays as incidental music immediately following the opening credits is the same music as was used for the main titles theme on the Kolchak The Night Stalker tv show.

Main problem with the disc are compression artefacts. Close up the first 2 movies look closer to Video CD than anything else.

If you have either of them on dvd already don't buy this looking for improvements .

Its ok for those curious to see The Questor Tapes but generally this is a disc to avoid as all 3 presentations would be marked down as not that good even if they were on a dvd let alone a Bluray.

When I think how good SD on a Bluray can look this disc is one hell of a missed opportunity

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Incredible disappointment that Universal has still refrained from giving us true 1080p transfers of THIS ISLAND EARTH and COLOSSUS. The former is an acknowledged classic and deserving of some serious restoration, the latter is a powerful (if dated in its computer technology) paranoid thriller and cautionary tale that remains relevant today.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Please, anyone who has purchased this and who also has seen the anamorphic DVD that came from Europe a few years ago, let us know whether or not this SD-movie-on-an-HD disc is any improvement, apart from the obvious correct speed without PAL. Many thanks.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Dick said:
Please, anyone who has purchased this and who also has seen the anamorphic DVD that came from Europe a few years ago, let us know whether or not this SD-movie-on-an-HD disc is any improvement, apart from the obvious correct speed without PAL. Many thanks.

I thought I already clarified this.

All 3 of the presentations can be classified as poor. Colossus and This Island Earth look better on their own dvd releases

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
youworkmen said:
I thought I already clarified this.

All 3 of the presentations can be classified as poor. Colossus and This Island Earth look better on their own dvd releases
Thanks. Somehow I missed that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks