What's new

Thinking about buying a motorcycle. (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I'm following this thread and learning with Chad.

What about the helmets I'm always seeing on untended bikes? Don't they tend to disappear? Some of those must be a bit pricey.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Lo*Jack, security alarms. A motorcycles front wheel can be locked in place to prevent roll-offs. Most bikes have lockable helmet attachers... but helmets are rarely stolen around here..... that alot of someone elses head sweat.

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

Safer in many ways. Have you ever rode a small bike on the highway with cross winds? Try to pass a truck? How about the power to get out of the way? Like when the car, or truck come over to your lane without warning, and you have nothing but a dividing wall next to you. Thank me later for those CC's.

When I said safe I didn't mean taking a GSXR-1000 and riding one wheel at 100. But a heavier, and faster bike can prove safer in many ways over a light bike like a 250cc.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
You'll nver get a Nomad for $5k, but you might be able to find the Vulcan1500/1600 it is based on for your budget. Then just add a windshield, comfy seat, and some saddlebags.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
"Something bigger is safer?"

"This is pretty much exactly what I want, granted this one is a 1600 and is over 10k... its nice to dream"

The Nomad 1600 is exactly what I ride, and it is nice. I suggested the 900, but then saw that you are 6'3". The Nomad is good for tall riders. I'm 6'1", 6'3" in my boots, and the Nomad is very comfortable. Granted, I did add a Mustang saddle with driver backrest and big footpegs on the engine guards. It makes for a comfy ride. While a bigger bike is not inherently safer from a crash perspective, I have never felt endangered on my bike because I was underpowered. I ride New Mexico interstates with 90 mph traffic, and I have not encountered a blind spot I can't get out of. It has so much torque, that carrying my 200 pound son on the back feels no different than when I am on it alone. I put 17,000 miles on my Nomad in the first year. The bike has been worth every penny I spent for it.

If you really want the Nomad...if you are SURE you want the Nomad, then I would get the Nomad. I can't tell you how many bikes I looked at, and somehow I always ended up back at the Kawasaki showroom sitting on that Nomad, feeling just how comfortable it was, and wanting to be on the road more than I did with any other bike I tried on. It is a heavy bike, but at 6'3", I would assume you have the muscle to handle it. And it has so much going for it over any of the other Vulcan LT models that it is a no-brainer if you want a touring cruiser. Your passenger, especially, will thank you for the comfort. (It has the cushiest passenger seat and backrest of ANY OF the touring cruisers, including Yamaha and Harley.)

As far as riding gear goes, I wear First Gear leather pants (not chaps). They are armoured, and zip/snap/velcro up the sides for easy wear over standard pants. You probably want to wear jeans, or wrinkle-free slacks underneath. I wear those 65% polyester Dickies under mine when I go to work, and jeans on the weekend. I also have an armoured First Gear leather jacket with removeable liner, a Frank Thomas armored mesh summer jacket, MANY gloves, all FULLY FINGERED, River Road classic lace-up boots (non steel-toed, though many do reccommend steel), and a Shoei Santa Cruz half, and a Shoei full-face (non-modular). I have Guard Dogs in clear and tint for use with the Santa Cruz. With all of it on, I look like a space marine from Quake.

Add a Cobra luggage rack (way cheaper than the Kawasaki), a tombstone pack, and a pair of Shure E2c earbuds, and you have a touring setup to ride for days.

Oh, and you are invited to come join VROC, too. Here's my VROC page. Welcome, brother!

Buzz
-VROC #21476

(BTW, the VROC site has classifieds. Here is a 1999 Nomad for $6,000 in Pennsylvania. Looks like a nice ride. Nomads were 1500cc and carbourated back then.)

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
"What do you do for security?"

I should have mentioned...the Nomad is an 800 pound bike. VERY hard to pick up and put on a trailer. Lock the front wheel, and you are good. Also, the helmet locks are positioned so that you can set your helmet on a passenger floorboard while the helmet is locked on. Nice touch.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
True. Every year, Motorcycle Cruiser puts the Road King, Road Star, and the Nomad head to head. Each year the results get tighter, but the Nomad has always come out on top. :D

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator

But a lighter bike is way more maneuverable. I've ridden different bikes over the years and I think, for a new rider, lighter is definitely safer. So many accidents are rider error.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I've got cruise control...it cost $10. :)

"But a lighter bike is way more maneuverable. I've ridden different bikes over the years and I think, for a new rider, lighter is definitely safer. So many accidents are rider error."

Yeah, but you also need to consider the size of the rider. I'm 6'1", and I looked like a Shriner in a parade at my rider class on a 250. Chad is even taller.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips and the invite Buzz, and your right, I am by no means a little guy. The Nomad is exactly what I want but I don't know that I could pay cash for it. All of my toys have to be paid for in full with cash. While this is not exactly a toy it is beyond necessity and I don't want to get stuck with a payment I don't need. I don't know about my budget though. I was showing her those exact pictures last night and she said she would go in on it with me. I think there was just an unspoken agreement before hand that it was all on me.

I was out and about this afternoon... in our Caravan and saw some dudes riding their bikes and laughed. A year or two ago I would never have considered it, now I am ready to get on and go.

I will always wear a helmet, just like I always wear a seatbelt, heck, I did before it was the law but I thought it was law to wear a helmet. Around these parts they have seat belt checks and cops driving behind you will pull you over if they can't visibly see your belt. My ex wife and I got pulled over once. She had a larger chest and had to wear her belt under her arm, the cop did not see it and pulled us right over. Why don't non helmeted riders get pulled over? Seems only smart to me!

It's going to be a long fun ride before I get to go on my first long fun ride but I am glad to have you guys around to answer my silly questions.

p.s

Dear God, please don't let tomorrow be Monday, give me an extra Sunday. I will even go to church again. Also, I know I don't deserve it but if you are feeling generous, can you turn my Elantra into a Nomad?

Amen

Have a great week guys!

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Speaking of bikes, anyone know how in the heck I can get to the spark plugs on my '03 YZF 600R? It looks like I need to remove all the body panels and even then they are buried. Am I going to need to remove the gas tank as well? That's about where my "garage mechanics" stops and I'll probably have to suck it up and hire out.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Was it just me, I was not able to get on to this site all day yesterday!

I am getting ready to leave work but I will read whatever I may have missed later tonight.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Had to run out to the store this evening and I saw a guy, about my size on a Yamaha but the bike looked way too small for him.... WAY too small! My Brother in law and I are about the same size ( Vertically anyway). He rides a Vulcan Classic ( not sure what size) and it fits her perfectly. We are all going camping this weekend and I assume he and his wife will bring their bikes so maybe I can get a ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks