What's new

Think I did pretty good with this craigslist find. Need a lil help though. (1 Viewer)

bstrang6

Grip
Real Name
Brock Strang
I just bought a DENON AVR1708, two KLH towers that have 15 inch speakers in them, A klh powered sub, and a big AR center channel. I ended up getting the whole set up, for 180 bucks.
I have it all hooked up and went through the set up with the mic, and think it sounds pretty bitchin! Very happy with my purchase. I would like to ad some rear channels. I just have some questions.
Is 7.1 worth it, or do you think 5.1 will be fine? If I go 5.1 I could run a second zone. To some speakers in my back yard next summer.
What do I need to look for in a set of speakers for the rear? Will any speaker work? Or is there characteristics I want to look for.
How are the speakers I bought? They sound awesome to me but I'm new to this, and I've never heard of the brand.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes that is a good deal. Long in the tooth AVR(by current standards), but very good for the price.
Depending where you are, I have some AR(depends what AR you have, as there is more than one company that can be abbreviated AR) speakers that would work as rears...that are collecting dust.
5.1 or 7.1 is personal choice. As there are "two different schools of thought" for 7.1.
Personally, unless you buy a BD player with analog audio 8 channel output...no point in 7.1(just my opinion).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, here is one with 6 channel...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BD85-Blu-Ray-Player-used-no-remote-good-condition-/380479801727?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item58965d097f

bstrang6

Grip
Real Name
Brock Strang
IMG_20121009_114450.jpg

IMG_20121009_123928.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That subwoofer is almost pointless...
Looks good though.
Also, I'd bring that sub out of the corner(at its size, and for it to "make a dent" it needs to be overworked...which is only exacerbated by being in the corner) and spread the towers out.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
KLH - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLH_%28company%29
Is that a laptop sitting on a speaker? The magnet on the woofer isn't that big but there is still some stray magnetic field on top of the enclosure. If your TV was an older CRT, I'll bet you would have the green discoloration in the corners caused by the speakers being too close to it.

bstrang6

Grip
Real Name
Brock Strang
Thanks for the replies. If I unplug the sub there is a very distinct drop in bass. Almost all lows go away. Which I thought was weird with two 15's. Maybe its because the DENON knew I had a sub when it set itself up. I will get pictures of the back of the room tonight. Basically I was sitting on a love seat pressed up against the wall when I took that picture.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depends on your chosen crossover...
The lowest crossover(I think???) allowed on the sub is 80hz(that is the lowest you can choose in Onkyo).
I, personally, would cross the front channel over at 40hz, but that is just me...

bstrang6

Grip
Real Name
Brock Strang
I don't know how to adjust those settings to be honest the user manual is very hard to understand. I will try and figure it out. By cross over are you talking about low pass and high pass filters? That's what I'm used to adjusting in hertz on car audio. If that's what you mean the sub does have a low pass adjustment on it. I am sure we are not on the same page because 40hz is very very low, and the way i m reading your post is setting the amp to send no signal higher than 40hz to the fronts.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In the Denon ( http://batpigworld.com/wp/ ) you have bass management.
I would choose 40hz for the front speakers(ie 40hz and up) and for the sub I would choose 80hz (ie 80hz and under).

bstrang6

Grip
Real Name
Brock Strang
Also, how tricky is redoing the cloth grills for the speakers? I'm going to get at that on Sunday. I have a bit of background with fabric working, re doing headliners and carpeting sub enclosures for cars. Just never anything this visible and I want it to be perfect.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, how tricky is redoing the cloth grills for the speakers?
Stretch it. Staple it. Work side to side/top to bottom/side to side/top to bottom/ keep repeating. That way it will be stretched evenly. I like to use staples so a good staple gun will come in handy.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't "cheap out" on the staple gun. And once you have a good staple gun, you'll find ways to use it.
You can repair car seats. Furniture in your house. Find short tables at flea markets/yard sales and make cushions for them to turn them into seats.

bstrang6

Grip
Real Name
Brock Strang
I have several staple guns, but the grill frames are plastic, wouldn't I be gluing? That's how the existing fabric is attached.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Make new ones and velcro the corners...(that is what I'd do)
Unless you have three sets of hands...
Case in point. I broke the 4 grills that came with my BIC V830 years ago cause they were crappy plastic grills.
I bought some dowel rods that were "close", figured out which one fit best. Then I took it and cut it to .75" pieces.
Made my outer part of the new grill in "close" to the same wood grain as the speaker and lipped it(Helps to have a router) for the actual grill frame set inside the outer grill.
My grills look so much better than the plastic ones ever did...
Total cost(including the dowel rods I didn't use)...
$25(if that)
Edit:
IF you want more "visual flair"...
Find material in the same color as the pillows on your couch. IF you want really cool...do one one color in the pillow, then do the other in the main color of the pillow....

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bstrang6 said:
I have several staple guns, but the grill frames are plastic, wouldn't I be gluing? That's how the existing fabric is attached.
Do you really want to stretch the fabric tight and hold it while it dries?
You can keep tension on it by tightening the back of the fabric with thread. Have a few inches hang over the part where you need to glue and tighten it like you would stitch up an opening. That will hold the fabric in place then you can use your favorite glue to make it permanent. Trim up the threat and extra fabric the next day.
Sam's idea sounds good if you can match colors. I can't. I can see them so I'm not color blind. I just don't know what combinations look good. I'm color illiterate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks