What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yet another thing that baffles me-- why some Sunday papers still have TV guide sections within of one form or another, when many papers in America have dropped that feature (the ones I know of that still are like this are the Star-Advertiser of Honolulu [called Star Channels], the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Dallas Morning News, and [just recently discovered] the Times Leader of Wilkes-Barre, PA).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I was at a Kum & Go store by my house one morning not too long ago when the daily state newspapers were dropped off. There couldn’t have been more than a dozen of them and they looked like they couldn’t have been more than just a couple of pages.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I was at a Kum & Go store by my house one morning not too long ago when the daily state newspapers were dropped off. There couldn’t have been more than a dozen of them and they looked like they couldn’t have been more than just a couple of pages.

Daily state newspapers?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. They still do daily and Sunday print editions to sell at stores. I think they suspended M-Sat porch delivery a few years ago.

If they did, I didn't know about it.

BTW, noticed that the daily cover price is $3; don't know what the Sunday one is.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Our local "daily" (Tue-Sat, NO Sunday or Monday paper) still has a TV guide section in the Saturday paper (where they moved the normal Sunday "features" and comics). They no longer do daily "thrown paper" deliveries - it's "same day" delivered by the PO. Since I like to read the paper first thing in the morning that's worthless to me so I get it digitally instead (a PDF I can dl and keep forever if I want).

This Sunday they're starting some new Sunday thing for digital subscriptions (no print version) that sounds like they're just moving the "features" to a stand-alone "delivery" instead of including them in Saturday's edition.

The "daily" editions are now 16 pages (digital and print) - which is what a single section was just 6 years ago (and there were 2 sections in the daily edition at that time).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Our local "daily" (Tue-Sat, NO Sunday or Monday paper) still has a TV guide section in the Saturday paper (where they moved the normal Sunday "features" and comics).
Kind of like the old Chicago Daily News afternoon paper had in the 70s, before that ended in 1978?

chicagodailynewsfeatures1978.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Our local "daily" (Tue-Sat, NO Sunday or Monday paper) still has a TV guide section in the Saturday paper (where they moved the normal Sunday "features" and comics). They no longer do daily "thrown paper" deliveries - it's "same day" delivered by the PO. Since I like to read the paper first thing in the morning that's worthless to me so I get it digitally instead (a PDF I can dl and keep forever if I want).

This Sunday they're starting some new Sunday thing for digital subscriptions (no print version) that sounds like they're just moving the "features" to a stand-alone "delivery" instead of including them in Saturday's edition.

The "daily" editions are now 16 pages (digital and print) - which is what a single section was just 6 years ago (and there were 2 sections in the daily edition at that time).
I was incorrect... the "Sunday comics" and "TV Guide" (called "Today's Entertainment") sections are still attached to the Saturday edition... I'm now curious just what fluff they'll present tomorrow.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I was incorrect... the "Sunday comics" and "TV Guide" (called "Today's Entertainment") sections are still attached to the Saturday edition... I'm now curious just what fluff they'll present tomorrow.
And... it's things that would normally be on the "B" section (science news type stuff), and "Community" (local events, gatherings, etc.), with a couple of obits and a single page of sports. All told, it's 4 pages and one story is a repeat from one published a few days back. While I appreciate the "effort" it's really nothing that couldn't wait until the normal Tuesday edition.

Frankly, I'd prefer they return to a 7 day publishing schedule. There's enough local material to warrant such a move and more than enough national news to fill out the pages as needed. Of course they'd also have to return to real reporting with people who know how to actually write, plus get an "editor" who knows news. Her, very rare, "editorials" are typically about her family happenings with *zero* content you normally associate with an editorial - you know - opinion about news events, discussion about community operation, the stuff that lets you know *how* a paper spins things and that might provide insight into how the city is being run.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This is a daily occurrence for me. Often times, I get stuck at a red light because of cars spacing out too far when they were stopped.
It's no so much that as people just don't "get" that when the light turns green, *everyone at the same time* gets off the brake and starts to move, increasing the gap as you increase speed. Most people sit completely still, waiting for the vehicle in front of them to start moving before getting off the brake. This causes several vehicles which *could* make it through to get "stuck" when the light goes back red. Couple that with people who increase speed like a turtle and you lose a few more to the light change.

Limo driver trick/tip: When you stop behind another vehicle you should be able to see their rear tires on the pavement. This helps prevent cascading rear end collisions and gives you enough gap to pull out should that vehicle become disabled for any reason.

If you do the first, coupled with the second, there'll always be a safe gap when stopped *and* while accelerating and you'd see more cars make it through an intersection before the light changes.

In general - the vast majority of drivers have no business behind the wheel of a car and are mostly incompetent at the task.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The young guy this morning at Walmart who apparently felt he needed a shopping cart to transport his 8-pack of Dove soap from the store to his car.

To his credit, after he unloaded the massive box of soap, he did take the cart over to the cart return corral rather than just leaving it in the parking lot. But still, why even take the cart out of the store?

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The young guy this morning at Walmart who apparently felt he needed a shopping cart to transport his 8-pack of Dial soap from the store to his car.

To his credit, after he unloaded the massive box of soap, he did take the cart over to the cart return corral rather than just leaving it in the parking lot. But still, why even take the cart out of the store?
Yes this is baffling, but I do agree with you that he did the right thing by putting the cart in the stall, so vehicles can’t be scratched/
damaged by loose carts.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
People who leave carts in parking spaces -- or otherwise in the way -- annoy the crap out of me. I get that people feel they're in a hurry, and want to get on with their day ASAP, but jeez, it never takes me more than about 30 seconds to put a cart in the nearest corral and get back to my car.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Anything tech. I am having a bunch of trouble with getting my yahoo mail on my new phone. No matter what I try, I can’t log in. Another thing is my Amazon music app- I can’t get the audio to Bluetooth into the company truck’s radio. Unfortunately I have zero patience for this stuff.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
People who leave carts in parking spaces -- or otherwise in the way -- annoy the crap out of me. I get that people feel they're in a hurry, and want to get on with their day ASAP, but jeez, it never takes me more than about 30 seconds to put a cart in the nearest corral and get back to my car.
It's not charitable, but I always imagine a giganticly fat smoking creep, who also parks's in a handicap spot using his mothers sticker.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The young guy this morning at Walmart who apparently felt he needed a shopping cart to transport his 8-pack of Dove soap from the store to his car.

In his defense, taking a cart out of the store and placing it in the furthest corral from the door contributes to the Walmart cart pusher’s fitness plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks