What's new

A PEEK AT TOM JONES (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Very surprised to see no chatter about this release at all here, and very few reviews of it elsewhere. I ordered from the Criterion sale but their page was so confusing I accidentally got the DVD by mistake - so back that went and they sent me the Blu-ray. I had the MGM/UA DVD release and some Japanese DVD release, both absolutely wretched. It's no wonder that folks watching that travesty of a transfer didn't care for the film, that and the fact that people today doing the reviewing can't ever seem to understand the context of when a film was released. It's like the kiddies today who see Psycho for the first time and proclaim not scary and boring. Uh huh.

I saw Tom Jones repeatedly during its initial exclusive long run at the Beverly Theatre in Beverly Hills. About fifteen times in all. Every showing was packed to the rafters, and I am here to tell you that the laughs were huge, boisterous, and often, screaming laughter, every time. Because the common complaint among the reviews of both the DVD and the two I've seen for the Blu-ray is that it's not very funny. Well, it's a different world today. When Mr. Richardson did his recut people were baffled by the film then for the same reason - it's been ripped off so many times by so many inferior talents and the world is simply different now - but at the time, this film was so invigorating and fresh and wild, and audiences ate it up like a C.C. Brown's hot fudge sundae. There is a reason it won all those Oscars - it was loved and it was a huge success.

The DVDs were transferred from who knows what, but they were completely brown and faded and disgusting and, needless to say, unwatchable. So, what do we have here? We have a transfer that's mostly off the camera negative but with more than a few shots and sequences taken from interpositives and internegatives. I found it completely obvious when it went from the camera negative to the other negs and it's a shame that the entire transfer couldn't be done from the camera negative, because the majority that IS from that looks fantastic. Sharp, detailed, and COLOR, actual color - greens, reds, blues, browns (rather than all brown mud) - what a treat to see it at least resembling what it was back in 1963.

I do not like the director's cut at all so here's a big old warning and perhaps someone can explain to me why Criterion would do this: The first disc you pull out has no identifier as to which version it is. Why? So, assuming Criterion would of course put the Oscar-winning theatrical cut on the first disc you pull out, that's what I watched. I didn't notice at all that it said "director's cut" under the title on the menu screen because as soon as that screen came up I hit play. So, it's the disc that's underneath the plastic that you want - that is the theatrical release, and why that wouldn't be on top is anyone's guess. How irritating. The theatrical cut is much better - Richardson thought he was tightening, but all those bits, many of which are from the first third of the film, are helpful in terms of pace and story. I recommend watching the film that was actually released back in 1963.

For me, it's still fun to watch Tom Jones. It's wild and wooly and charming. Albert Finney is great, and the large supporting cast is just brilliant. Edith Evans made me laugh out loud, just as she did back in 1963. And a large part of what makes the whole thing work is John Addison's wonderful score (I put out the very first CD release of it a decade ago) - the love theme is delightful, and the action and comedy scoring is exemplary.

So, I highly recommend this, even with the caveats that the non-camera negative footage is not as crisp or detailed or colorful. Haven't looked at the extras but they seem like they might be interesting.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I had the HBO Home Video laserdisc but never bothered with any of the DVDs.

Nice to know there's now a home video release that actually represents the film that won Best Picture in 1963.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm going to assume that the upcoming BFI version in the Woodfall Box Set will be the same transfer.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Great review, to the point - rest assured, Tom Jones has been given high priority on my Easter watching list. The last few months have seen an enormous mountain of great movies released on blu ray and I now have a massive backlog. Tom Jones arrived with four other Criterions: Night Of The Living Dead, Silence Of The Lambs, The Hero, An Actor's Revenge. Also, Last Flag Flying, Faces Places, Lady Bird, Three Billboards, Darkest Hour, Florida Project and Death Of Stalin, Call me By Your Name, Paddington 2 and Coco also dropped into my mail box. And now Age Of Innocence, Shape Of Water, Downsizing and Passion Of Joan Of Arc are due in the next couple of weeks. I've only managed three of the 53 Olympic films from Criterion's humongous box. In 30 years of home video film collecting, I can't recall such a sumptuous choice of classics and current releases pouring out!

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I will try it again based on this recommendation.

I saw it several times during original release (working in theatres you know) and never thought it was that great. Funny in places, but not very deep I thought. It didn't help that I heard that Albert Finney had given up Lawrence to be in this.

Several films from 1963 seemed more worthy to me including How the West Was Won (yes!), Lilies of the Field, Cleopatra, Hud, and a few more worthy British films like The L Shaped Room, which I just saw again and recommend. I had a lot of arguments about this one.

I did love Edith Evans, but how could the score win over HTWWW and Cleopatra?

I have an early LD (very poor quality). I tried viewing "director's cut" when it came out and didn't get through it at all; the rhythm seemed wrong.

So, here we are again.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Great. It's strange that there's been hardly any reviews of this new Blu-ray, there was an early review on DVD Beaver nearly a month ago, & then, nothing. This film does contain a lot of dupes, & the chances of the original neg. surviving for those shots are zero (probably junked along with the cuts & trims back in the early sixties). The best we can hope for is the best possible transfer from what elements we have, & it sounds like we've got it. I didn't see it when it was first released, as amazingly it was an X certificate in the UK & I was only 12, & you had to be 16 (or look it) to see an X film. I did catch up with it a few years later, & what a pleasure, you just didn't get period films shot in such a free wheeling style (still don't). I won't have my copy for a couple of months, as I'm getting it in the Woodfall eight film BFI set. Oh, & thanks for releasing that great score on CD Mr. Hainshisway, not only the first CD release, but so far the only CD release.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I always found the film a delightful romp, but I rewatched my HBO DVD of it a few weeks before the Criterion came out, and Bruce is right: it's wretched and no way to watch this entertaining film. Glad to read that it's very good if not quite exceptional on Blu-ray.

I haven't gotten it yet, but it's on the agenda.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My first experience with TOM JONES was in 1963, when for whatever reason I was in Stamford, CT. with my grandmother, perhaps waiting for a train to pick up my father from some business trip. To pass the time, she agreed to take me to a movie, and we chose this film, based upon absolutely no prior information. It was "Suggested For Mature Audiences," but Grammy was not well-versed in things like that and so we watched it. I don't remember much from that showing, but I do remember laughing through the "eating sequence."

My suspicions are that Grammy, who was quite conservative, was appalled by this very risqué (for 1963) and unabashedly bawdy movie, but didn't let on. She didn't cover my eyes with her hands, but I am fairly certain she regretted allowing me, at age 13, to see this. Personally, I didn't care for it that much overall then (I was into Sci-Fi and monsters and action films, and this was clearly intended for adults), although I have purchased copies of it on various formats over the years.

Having watched the Criterion now, I find I am enjoying it quite a lot. I, too, enjoy the Addison score, and bought the UA LP when it was first released (which I'd have sworn was stereo and was so labelled, but which Bruce points out was actually never true stereo...I second the accolades for his mono Kritzerland label CD). Therefore TOM JONES was, for me, an acquired taste, and the new Criterion release pleases me and gives me a new appreciation of its many pleasures.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I will try it again based on this recommendation.

I saw it several times during original release (working in theatres you know) and never thought it was that great. Funny in places, but not very deep I thought. It didn't help that I heard that Albert Finney had given up Lawrence to be in this.

Several films from 1963 seemed more worthy to me including How the West Was Won (yes!), Lilies of the Field, Cleopatra, Hud, and a few more worthy British films like The L Shaped Room, which I just saw again and recommend. I had a lot of arguments about this one.

I did love Edith Evans, but how could the score win over HTWWW and Cleopatra?

I have an early LD (very poor quality). I tried viewing "director's cut" when it came out and didn't get through it at all; the rhythm seemed wrong.

So, here we are again.

From what I've read over the years the reasons Albert Finney didn't do Lawrence was twofold. One he didn't want to spend months in the desert and two he didn't want to sign a long term contract with Lawrence producer Sam Spiegel. I, for one would love to see Finney's screen test for Lawrence.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Very surprised to see no chatter about this release at all here, and very few reviews of it elsewhere.
I was going to review it because I found the image disappointing... but my computer went down.

Anyway, did you notice the “dirty” image when the wipes and transition are on screen? Did you notice the color changes?

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Although I was always going to pick up Criterion's Tom Jones, it was to give this film its second chance. What a relief to know that haineshisway, and others upon this thread, found the Director's Cut was not on par to the original. I, myself, only got to see the Director's Cut and couldn't get with it. I felt left out, somehow. I couldn't understand what it was or why I wasn't enthralled as those who originally saw it in 1963. Ah ha. Perhaps, in the end, it was the fault of the new edits and not me, after all. And that's good news, because its a film that I truly wanted to like. I had a similar experience with Lawrence of Arabia. . All I ever heard was legend, respect, admiration, et al. Unseen by me until 12 years after its release, my first viewing was as a young teen-ager in a theatrical revival house. 16mm prints, I suspect. Faded, camels going in the opposite direction and, unbeknownst to me, the shortest known version to boot. Again, I didn't get it. I figured the faults had to do with me and that I was missing something. As it turned out, it was "Lawrence" that was missing something...a great deal of footage and its original running time and, well, it's full scope and legend, to be precise. So, yah, I am really looking forward to finally seeing Tom Jones in its original cut. On a final note, I do find it interesting that the Director's Cut is the rarest of instances in which a film became worse. Thanks for the review.

Last edited:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I picked this up when it was released a few weeks ago but haven't had time to watch it yet, with the exception of the short but informative featurette on the theatrical vs director's cut (I decided upon watching that that I wouldn't bother with the latter). I saw the film once, probably about 10 years ago on TCM, so this Blu-ray will probably be like seeing the film for the first time.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I always found the film a delightful romp, but I rewatched my HBO DVD of it a few weeks before the Criterion came out, and Bruce is right: it's wretched and no way to watch this entertaining film. Glad to read that it's very good if not quite exceptional on Blu-ray.

I haven't gotten it yet, but it's on the agenda.

The majority of it is exceptional - but it's not hard to spot where they had to fill in from other sources.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I was going to review it because I found the image disappointing... but my computer went down.

Anyway, did you notice the “dirty” image when the wipes and transition are on screen? Did you notice the color changes?

The wipes and opticals are exactly what they've always been - any "dirty" image is baked into them and they're all dupes. This is not a problem for me as it's the way they've always looked. And yes, there are many opticals in this film.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Unfortunately when the Director's Cut was done, they re-cut the original negative, so backup elements had to be accessed to restore the film to its original theatrical version. Hence the shifts in quality. Also the optical dupes cut in for dissolves and fades have their issues as well, but I'm sure Criterion made the film look as good as possible.

I haven't seen the disc yet but am looking forward to it!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
At least we have a choice in HD that you can purchase legally. I wish that was the case for another film David Tomlinson would go on to make a few years later. This the flip side of that.

In this case, why did Tony Richardson want to take stuff out?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
At least we have a choice in HD that you can purchase legally. I wish that was the case for another film David Tomlinson would go on to make a few years later. This the flip side of that.

In this case, why did Tony Richardson want to take stuff out?

Presumably, because it gave him a “Director’s Cut.”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks