What's new

The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection coming 9/13/16 (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
This is already available on DVD. They wouldn't package a new blu-ray set the exact same way as a two year old DVD set. This is a webmaster error I bet. Note that the date of supposed release is the same as the release of the DVD set back in 2014.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Yeah I just found that nested pull down. The two differences between the descriptions are the release date and number of discs. I would think there would be a press release though.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
A little annoyed at the huge amount of double dipping here. Really are there people out there who didnt get the original set some years ago who also wouldn't be getting both sets? Why not just strip out the redundant movies and release a Universal Monsters II?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
NONE of the links on the "Buy Now" are working for the product number. But I'm guessing they will be ...
A little annoyed at the huge amount of double dipping here. Really are there people out there who didnt get the original set some years ago who also wouldn't be getting both sets? Why not just strip out the redundant movies and release a Universal Monsters II?
Warner Bros & Fox appear to be successful with multiple double(even quadruple)-dipping with various reissues, deluxe sets etc. Universal can't help but try to follow their business model.

I would loan you my Rhett Butler hanky, but I didn't fall for that one ... but if you need a Singin' in the Rain Umbrella or a Looney Tunes SHOT GLASS (!!!!) I've got your back ;) !

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have a huge physical DVD/BD (3K+) collection and have almost everything sci-fi/horror that has been issued on DVD/BD/bootleg! It sure is getting hard for us with those size collections to try and justify which ones will we watch again and again if it's on BD? I guess I'm saying if it's in it's correct AR on DVD, then maybe no BD...unless it's a shit release on DVD. But, if YOU" really like it, then I guess it's a double dip.

Then that comes to why we don't have all those classic films from the 50's such as ...THIS ISLAND EARTH, WAR OF THE WORLDS, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, DESTINATION MOON, ROCKETSHIP X-M, FLIGHT TO MARS, etc., etc., etc. I know about Wade Williams, so we don't have to go there.

Some of us didn't plan/see or want to see the future and when it came out on DVD, we gobbled it up (our huge collections.) Now, the future is here and we're paying the price because now we don't want to restart our collections over from DVD to BD...we did that bullshit when we went from VHS to LD and then to DVD!!! UHDBD is no way in the cards for some of us. Age is a big factor (I'm 65) and not many of us can lay down more $$$ for a new PJ, player, A/V receiver and more speakers!

So little time and so many films to watch!

Does anyone else feel the same as I do?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

i am thinking about the authoring of this, which film gets doubled up, no way Uni is going to not make this easy for themselves, if not it will be a nightmare no pun intended, both house films should be on the same disc, same for WwoL/SwoL should share a disc,

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Looks like disc 2 of the Wolfman set is the same as disc 4 of Frankenstein. They contain the same 3 films. Plus both have Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Only 3 films exclusive to the Wolfman set.

Disc 1 - The Wolf Man:
Monster by Moonlight
The Wolf Man: From Ancient Curse to Modern Myth
Pure in Heart: The Life and Legacy of Lon Chaney, Jr.
He Who Made Monsters: The Life and Art of Jack Pierce
The Wolf Man Archives
Feature Commentary with Film Historian Tom Weaver
Trailer Gallery
100 Years of Universal: The Lot
My Scenes

Disc 2 - Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man:
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2 - House of Frankenstein:
House of Frankenstein Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2 - House of Dracula:
House of Dracula Theatrical Trailer

Disc 3 - Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein:
Abbott and Costello Meet the Monsters
Theatrical Trailer
Feature Commentary with Film Historian Gregory W. Mank
100 Years of Universal: The Lot
100 Years at Universal: Unforgettable Characters

Disc 4 - Werewolf of London:
Werewolf of London Theatrical Trailer

Disc 4 - She-Wolf of London:
She-Wolf of London Theatrical Trailer

Todd Mattraw

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
i am thinking about the authoring of this, which film gets doubled up, no way Uni is going to not make this easy for themselves, if not it will be a nightmare no pun intended, both house films should be on the same disc, same for WwoL/SwoL should share a disc,

Easy solution for Universal --- Double-sided Discs!!!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Cramming three features on a disc is going to require a certain amount of grain smoothing. I went with the French individual releases, which are one to a disc with minimal extras. They look very film-like, more so than the monsters box set. Great grain, decent bit rate.

But it appears there is no "best way" to get these films... either you get healthy bitrate and one movie to a disc and no double dipping, or you get three additional films that haven't been released in France, lower bitrates and tons of double dipping.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
So little time and so many films to watch!

Does anyone else feel the same as I do?

I have a very conscious rotation of movies I watch:

1 - BDs/DVDs I bought that I have watched on this copy but want to watch again
2 - BDs/DVDs I bought that I have seen before buy not on my purchased copy
3 - 3D BDs I bought that I have only watched in 2D so far
4 - BDs/DVDs I bought that I have never seen before (around 1% of my collection, usually extra titles in box sets)
5 - BDs/DVDs my roommate owns that I have never seen before
6 - BDs/DVDs I've rented from Netflix disc that I have never seen before (only 1 at a time at this point)
7 - Movies in my Netflix streaming queue / Amazon Prime streaming queue that I have never seen before

The last two are my "rental" options, and they are dominated by Twilight Time titles that I haven't seen before, since I don't want a title to slip by me that goes OOP that I would have liked to own. This is how I've seen, as of this post, 130 movies TT has released that I have decided not to purchase due to not enjoying them enough, LOL!

Last edited:

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I just saw the price over on Amazon - 40 bucks? For a set that duplicates half the movies in the other set plus whatever double dips occur from the Monster Set? Naw, fuck that - I'd pick both up for 20 each, but not at that price point.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I just saw the price over on Amazon - 40 bucks? For a set that duplicates half the movies in the other set plus whatever double dips occur from the Monster Set? Naw, fuck that - I'd pick both up for 20 each, but not at that price point.
I concur......I'm hoping that individual releases will come along but if not, I'll have to pass (or the set price will have to fall below $20. Just not into duplication at this point.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The 2 films on disc 4 are all that's new/exclusive to this set. So if you have the Monsters set and buy the Frankenstein set than this is definitely not worth $40.00 for those 2 films.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Yeah, it's a ripoff if anybody plans on paying full retail for these, which none of us will. But for the sake of argument, let's pretend we're actually gonna pay $39.99 each.

Here's the worst-case scenario, which also happens to be my scenario: I already own Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein on Blu-ray. These new Frankenstein and Wolf Man sets (combined) include those 4 plus 7 new-to-Blu movies. This will cost me $11.43 per new-to-Blu movie (plus I'll end up with a bunch of duplicates). Again, this is the worst-case scenario. Really? That's not reasonable? But y'all would rather pass these up and wait for individual releases, which will likely cost MORE than that (if they ever happen at all)? The existing single Monster Blu-rays are $13.49 each on Amazon as I type this (three years after they were released!).

I'm happy to pay $11.43 for each Monster sequel. Take my money, Universal.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
She-Wolf of London isn't very good. But you can get Werewolf of London region free from Amazon France for $20 shipped. That's the alternative I've taken.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 2 films on disc 4 are all that's new/exclusive to this set. So if you have the Monsters set and buy the Frankenstein set than this is definitely not worth $40.00 for those 2 films.
Right, after a closer look, I'm buying that Frankenstein box set, but will wait on the Wolfman set.

As to three films on one disc, I would think a BD-25 can handle three black & white films that total 210 minutes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks