What's new

The Terror, Dementia 13, The Stranger & Poor Pretty Eddie Coming To Blu-Ray (Blu-Ray/DVD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Who's releasing these? Isn't The Stranger one of the new releases that has been excoriated here for lousy quality? I'd love to get The Terror and Dementia 13, but will have to see a review or two first.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
From a company called, Film Chest, on their HD Cinema Classics label (distributed by Virgil Films & Entertainment). I'm giving this place the benefit of the doubt that, perhaps, they might be of quality, since I came across this on DVD Empire, concerning the THE TERROR dvd, (which I am interested in):

FEATURES:

Beautifully Restored Versions From Original 35mm
Includes Standard DVD & Blu-RayDisc
Trailer
Before and After Restoration Demo
Collectible Postcard of the Original Movie Poster ) . I'm giving

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
THE STRANGER has been poorly reviewed. We'll see...or, maybe, just read, then see...

Jeff F.

Second Unit
"Dementia 13?" Wow! Haven't seen that one since I was a kid in the mid '70s when one of the local LA stations used to air it on an annual basis. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Since MGM owns that beautiful print that has shown up on TCM it's doubtful this company will have their hands on that version. It would be nice if they did get it from the Lion but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
No one's gonna know anything about these movies until one of us purchases them. So, before I plunk down some fun tickets for THE TERROR, I'm gonna wait until one of you guys takes the chance on it first.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The unpromising STRANGER: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews53/the_stranger_blu-ray.htm

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Sadly, i don't think that these are going to knock anybodies socks off, i have read the Beaver review for 2 of the four, and it did not look very promising, but thinking more on this, MGM did release "good" DVDs of " The Stranger and Kansas City" so before the deal with Fox is up if either company wants to bring some Noir to blu, it would be worth it, as for the two Corman titles, Shout Factory might be intrested in them IMO, as for the company that is releasing these, i have one title from Virgil Films, and all i can say is if they want to play with the big boys and be one of the Boutique releases, then it needs to be on par with what Synapses or one of the smaller independents are doing.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The Terror aired last nite on MGMHD and it looked stellar! It was shown 1.78:1 and the colors, especially the ocean scenes taken at Big Sur were perfect.

I wonder if MGM will release any of their HD airings on BD?

Anyway, I wonder how this BD will look compared to MGMHD showing?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I watched Poor Pretty Eddie last night and my jaw was on the floor. It usually takes a lot to make me sit up and go HUH?! But this movie did it. I can't imagine anyone ever making a film like this again. It is the glowing gold plated embodiment of political incorrectness, and it does it with such humor and gusto, it's hard to know what exactly the filmmakers were thinking. Leslie Uggams deserves sainthood for what she endured in this movie. I find it hard to believe that she read the script before accepting the part. Shelly Winters with a shotgun wearing a wedding dress! Slim Pickens doodling stick figure sex on a police report pad to record the details of a rape! A rape scene intercut with dogs getting it on in the mud while Ted "Lurch" Cassidy watches and nods approvingly! This movie is a three ring circus of strangeness. It gave me the same sort of fun as Texas Chainsaw's second half, except with more ugly sex and less ugly gore. The bluray is perfectly acceptable. This is a drive in movie. It never looked great. But it looks as good as it would have in first release. This one goes on the shelf next to Arch Hall's Sadist. Great movie.

jerauf

Agent
Real Name
Jeremy Aufderheide
I picked up both Dementia 13 and The Terror.

Dementia 13 is kind of soft. But it looks better than I've ever seen it. If you like the film, this is a must-have.

The Terror...I'm not sure. I don't think it's as great as the MGMHD airing. The colors seems more muted. And I'm noticing a few odd glitches with the sound. But it looks amazing.

The restoration demos are lame...

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I agree about Dementia 13. I'm glad I picked that one up. It looks much better than I've ever seen it look before. I didn't get The Terror. It's never been one of my favorite Karloff pictures. I like that film about the sniper at the drive in that uses scenes from the Terror better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks