What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Police (1 Viewer)

728x90

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Good question which I would also like to know the answer to as well. I have the "Message in a Box: Complete Recordings 4 CD set" released in 1993. IF this is a sonic upgrade I might be tempted to go for the vinyl version.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I ordered the CD boxset last month. I've received it, but not listened to it (yet). I'm in the United States, but I ordered from Amazon UK.

Using today's prices as an example to explain that decision, the cost at (domestic) Amazon is $46.49. When I ordered it from Amazon UK, the cost was 12.50 pounds. As of this writing, the conversion from pounds to dollars = $16.34.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I ordered the CD boxset last month. I've received it, but not listened to it (yet). I'm in the United States, but I ordered from Amazon UK.

Using today's prices as an example to explain that decision, the cost at (domestic) Amazon is $46.49. When I ordered it from Amazon UK, the cost was 12.50 pounds. As of this writing, the conversion from pounds to dollars = $16.34.

Wow! Thanks for the tip!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

ordered. $20

the comments on the reviews state the mastering is very good. I have the last set of the albums that was done in the early 2000s I believe. Looking forward to hearing these new versions.
Thanks again for the heads up on the
Pricing.

Star Trek Blu rays are usually much cheaper from uk too.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Yes, thanks for the tip. I’ll be doing this too. I haven’t ever owned all of them but am going through a phase of greater appreciation for their music. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always thought they were very good but I was not an über-fan.

I’d really like to get the vinyl set for the tactile experience but the CD makes more economic sense.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I wonder if this box set will contain any rarities, such as the 1983 re-recording of "Truth Hits Everybody" that only has Sting, as well as the 1986 re-recording of "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da," among others?

~Ben

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Pretty funny...

picked up the police funko rock pops this week too.....

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the heads-up on the new Police boxed set. As an '80's kid who was a pre-teen/teen during that decade, they're definitely one of my top five favorite rock/pop groups, ever. And, back in the day - they were my #1 favorite group. Very insightful songs that "rock out" in many cases - while still having very intelligent lyrics. Obviously, iconic tracks include "Message in a Bottle", "Wrapped around your finger", "Roxanne", "Synchronicity", "Can't Stand Losing You", "Don't Stand so close to me", etc.

However, my favorite songs of theirs are the lesser known ones, i.e. "Born in the '50's", "Bring on the Night", "Man in a Suitcase", "Shadows in the Rain", etc. And, possibly my favorite song is the sad & poignant "Tea in the Sahara". When I heard that this song was inspired by (a story told to one of the characters) in the iconic Paul Bowles novel "The Sheltering Sky" (1949), I promptly went out & read this. Excellent novel.

The first CD's of the group I got were the ones in the excellent "Message in a Box" '93 boxed set. And, I didn't take care of these as much as I should have - so, the CD's eventually got scratched up & I got rid of them.

Much later, I got the 2003 remastered individual albums, which sounded great.

However, I am open to "triple dipping" by getting this new, affordable boxed set. Based on the reviews, the sound is better than the 2003 remasters. So, we'll see.

Side-note: I like some of Sting's independent work, but most of it pales in comparison to the brilliance of the songs he wrote/performed while in The Police.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m still working from the Message In A Box set and probably won’t upgrade, but wanted to throw in a thumbs up for Tea In The Sahara. I love the live version Sting does on the Bring On The Night album.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the heads-up on the new Police boxed set. As an '80's kid who was a pre-teen/teen during that decade, they're definitely one of my top five favorite rock/pop groups, ever. And, back in the day - they were my #1 favorite group. Very insightful songs that "rock out" in many cases - while still having very intelligent lyrics. Obviously, iconic tracks include "Message in a Bottle", "Wrapped around your finger", "Roxanne", "Synchronicity", "Can't Stand Losing You", "Don't Stand so close to me", etc.

However, my favorite songs of theirs are the lesser known ones, i.e. "Born in the '50's", "Bring on the Night", "Man in a Suitcase", "Shadows in the Rain", etc. And, possibly my favorite song is the sad & poignant "Tea in the Sahara". When I heard that this song was inspired by (a story told to one of the characters) in the iconic Paul Bowles novel "The Sheltering Sky" (1949), I promptly went out & read this. Excellent novel.

The first CD's of the group I got were the ones in the excellent "Message in a Box" '93 boxed set. And, I didn't take care of these as much as I should have - so, the CD's eventually got scratched up & I got rid of them.

Much later, I got the 2003 remastered individual albums, which sounded great.

However, I am open to "triple dipping" by getting this new, affordable boxed set. Based on the reviews, the sound is better than the 2003 remasters. So, we'll see.

Side-note: I like some of Sting's independent work, but most of it pales in comparison to the brilliance of the songs he wrote/performed while in The Police.

I imported the new remastered set last year. It sounded good but I didn’t feel blown away by the sound differences.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Music of the 80's is my jam, but I was never really into the Police other than one or two songs. I liked Sting's solo work more.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So I guess the Around The World Blu-ray cd set has been released. It has been heavily edited from the vhs version.

Crazy. Glad I didn’t preorder it.

Clark Green

BANNED
Real Name
Clark Green
I'm a huge Police and Sting solo fan. Grew up with their music and it still holds up after all these years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks