What's new

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon 50th Anniversary Deluxe Set (2 Viewers)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
2 CD, 2 LP, 2 Blu, 2 7inch singles, 1 DVD.

Box set Contents summarised

CD1 – THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

Remastered 2023 by James Guthrie

in gatefold sleeve with 12-page booklet

CD2 – THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

LIVE AT WEMBLEY EMPIRE POOL, LONDON, 1974

Mixed by Andy Jackson

in gatefold sleeve with 12-page booklet

LP1 – THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

Remastered original studio album

in gatefold, with original posters and stickers

LP2 – THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

LIVE AT WEMBLEY EMPIRE POOL, LONDON, 1974

in gatefold, with 2 posters

BLU-RAY 1 (AUDIO)

Original album 5.1 and high-resolution remastered stereo mixes,

in dedicated wallet:

1. 5.1 Surround Mix – 24bit/96kHz Uncompressed

2. Stereo Mix – 24bit/192kHz Uncompressed

3. 5.1 Surround Mix – dts-HD MA

4. Stereo Mix – dts-HD MA

BLU-RAY 2 (AUDIO)

Original album Atmos and high-resolution remastered stereo mixes,

in dedicated wallet:

1. Dolby Atmos Mix

2. Stereo Mix – 24-bit/192kHz Uncompressed

3. Stereo Mix – dts-HD MA

DVD (AUDIO)

Original album 5.1 and remastered stereo mixes,

in dedicated wallet:

1. 5.1 Surround Mix – Dolby Digital @448 kbps

2. 5.1 Surround Mix – Dolby Digital @640 kbps

3. Stereo Mix (LPCM) – 24-bit/48 kHz Uncompressed

160-PAGE THAMES & HUDSON HARDBACK BOOK

withrare black and white photographs from the 1972 – 1975 tours of the UK and the USA taken by

Jill Furmanovsky, Peter Christopherson, Aubrey Powell, Storm Thorgerson

76-PAGE MUSIC BOOK

of original album

MEMORABILIA:

REPLICAS OF 2×7” SINGLES

in Harvest bags:

7″ Single 1 Money/Any Colour You Like

7″ Single 2 Us And Them/Time

REPLICA OF EMI PAMPHLET AND INVITE TO THE PREVIEW OF THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON AT THE LONDON PLANETARIUM ON 27TH FEBRUARY 1973

Studio album recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London, between May 1972 and January 1973. Produced by Pink Floyd. Engineer Alan Parsons. Assistant Peter James. Mixing supervised by Chris Thomas.

Remastered by James Guthrie and Joel Plante at das boot recording. 5.1 and Atmos mixes by James Guthrie.

Live At Wembley Empire Pool, London, 1974

recorded at the Empire Pool, Wembley, London, November 1974

Engineers: Brian Humphries with Phill Brown.

Audio Mixing by Andy Jackson, assisted by Damon Iddins. Mastered by Andy Jackson at Tube Mastering.

Creative Director 2023: Aubrey Powell/Hipgnosis

Design and Art Direction: Peter Curzon/StormStudios

50th Anniversary Concept and Design: Pentagram

BaronVH

Auditioning
Real Name
John CH
It does seem a touch high, with the experience editions a touch over $100 and the same for the 5.1 of Animals. Unfortunately my SACD player is on its last leg. I would pay that for the Wall if it included live performances and a 4K of the film, but I don’t know. $200 and I would bite, but I would imagine none but the very serious would. Would be nice to get the Atmos release with live album without all the stuffing.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oof, this is such a tough decision. As an owner of the three previous Immersion sets (which I love), $300 is a big ask for the remastering by James Guthrie (whose work I do greatly respect) on both the stereo disc and LP (I already own all my favorite Floyd albums on recently pressed vinyl). I do love the 5.1 Blu-Ray of the Immersion set and would love to hear the Atmos mix on my 7.2.4 system but...$300.

I'll keep an eye out on comparisons between the Guthrie and Plante (who did the Immersion set) remixes. If people say Guthrie's work is superior, then I may bite the bullet on this.

Also, guess I should start putting away $300 for 2025 and another $300 for 2029 :rolling-smiley:

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Oof, this is such a tough decision. As an owner of the three previous Immersion sets (which I love), $300 is a big ask for the remastering by James Guthrie (whose work I do greatly respect) on both the stereo disc and LP (I already own all my favorite Floyd albums on recently pressed vinyl). I do love the 5.1 Blu-Ray of the Immersion set and would love to hear the Atmos mix on my 7.2.4 system but...$300.

I'll keep an eye out on comparisons between the Guthrie and Plante (who did the Immersion set) remixes. If people say Guthrie's work is superior, then I may bite the bullet on this.

Also, guess I should start putting away $300 for 2025 and another $300 for 2029 :rolling-smiley:
Yes I would say DSOTM is maybe the most re-issued album in music history.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I struck out an incorrect line as it seems Guthrie also did the Immersion remaster. So the question is: is this a new remaster, and if so, is it an audible improvement from the one he did for the immersion box set?

So that question, in addition to how much audible improvement the extra Atmos overhead channels make over the Immersion 5.1 set, will determine if I'm going to shell out another $300 to the band. I forgot I also have the SACD which sounds marvelous.

I may just wait until reviews come out and risk it selling out before I end up buying it. I think between the Immersion set, the SACD, and the recent Guthrie vinyl I own, it won't be the end of the world if I miss out on the Atmos version on the 50th...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It does seem a touch high, with the experience editions a touch over $100 and the same for the 5.1 of Animals. Unfortunately my SACD player is on its last leg. I would pay that for the Wall if it included live performances and a 4K of the film, but I don’t know. $200 and I would bite, but I would imagine none but the very serious would. Would be nice to get the Atmos release with live album without all the stuffing.
You can buy a Sony X700 4K UHD player that also plays SACDs and DVD Audio discs for $200, which is less than the cost of this set.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A quick word about the long-running feud between Waters and Gilmour- just sad. Eddie Trunk has said on his talk show that there’s an offer for those guys to sell their songs/publishing for half a billion dollars, and they can’t/won’t agree on terms. I guess they’re going to take this bitterness with each other to their grave.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
A quick word about the long-running feud between Waters and Gilmour- just sad. Eddie Trunk has said on his talk show that there’s an offer for those guys to sell their songs/publishing for half a billion dollars, and they can’t/won’t agree on terms. I guess they’re going to take this bitterness with each other to their grave.
Waters could sell "The Wall" which, as I recall, he largely owns the rights to for the songs (except for "Comfortably Numb" and "Run Like Hell") now it wouldn't be worth that much but, if he really wants the cash, he could easily part with one of the biggest Floyd albums in terms of sales.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Apparently Waters has re-recorded DSOTM for a new anniversary release. Can't say I fancy it!
Have they said that the re-recording is going to be used on this release? Personally, I'd rather burn $300 and mail the ashes to Waters than spend it on a re-recording from that asshole but I can't imagine that this is going to use a re-recording without warning people.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Have they said that the re-recording is going to be used on this release? Personally, I'd rather burn $300 and mail the ashes to Waters than spend it on a re-recording from that asshole but I can't imagine that this is going to use a re-recording without warning people.
No, this would be completely separate, the box is legacy stuff from PF. Waters famously thought he was splitting up PF, instead of just leaving it!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Waters is interviewed in today's Daily Telegraph, nice man!
Eddie Trunk talked about that for a few minutes on his show today. Zero interest in his version of Dark Side, and I wish he would just stop with the dart throwing at the other members. I think he and David are making asses of themselves with this stuff- he and the other guys have made a great living off of what they created back in the 70s- just let it go, and move on. Sheesh. 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks