What's new

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I can understand that. Plus, the outdoor settings are so foggy and flat, I doubt HDR could be of any benefit, and could also be damaging.
As we're all agreed that this is a terrific film here's an anecdote about trying to see it with appropriate respect.

At the time it was first issued I visited a friend away from Central London and we went to her local smallish multi, which was also showing either a new Star Wars or Harry Potter - I can't remember.

Tht childrens film sold out and as The Others was beginning about five noisy kids came in and settled in the front row, shouting and making phone calls. It took ten minutes for staff to appear and throw them out, by which time the mood was shattered. I suggested restarting but as it was a platter system this was impossible so some of us chose to be given our money back and we saw it properly with maximum appreciation the following week at The Warner West End.

Now taking questions on why I only see films at home on my projection and 7.1 system.........
Hahahaha

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Even with the loss of HDR and WCG (which I never really thought was necessary for a film like this, being that it's drenched in fog and haze)?
I feel you, but I do think Dolby Vision or HDR 10 could have enhanced the interior shots, as it's so incredibly dark in the house … All lit by candles,
Those candles and Lighting would've looked superb with the correct HDR employment.

As for the wide color gamut, I say 4K UHD films should always employ the widest color gamut.

I think THE OTHERS could've had some BARRY LYNDON-ESQUE interior shots enhanced by HDR IMO.

"Anything worth doing… Is worth doing right."
- Johnny Depp as Hunter S. Thomson
"Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas", 1998

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I feel you, but I do think Dolby Vision or HDR 10 could have enhanced the interior shots, as it's so incredibly dark in the house … All lit by candles,
Those candles and Lighting would've looked superb with the correct HDR employment.

As for the wide color gamut, I say 4K UHD films should always employ the widest color gamut.

I think THE OTHERS could've had some BARRY LYNDON-ESQUE interior shots enhanced by HDR IMO.

"Anything worth doing… Is worth doing right."
- Johnny Depp as Hunter S. Thomson
"Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas", 1998
Interesting analysis; thanks for your thoughts.

After watching the two-disc Collector's Edition anamorphic DVD last night, I came away feeling like everything was "just fine" with this SD image and that it didn't really need any enhancing.

Of course, this can be taken with a grain of salt, as even though I like the film and will always defend it as a ghostly thriller absolutely dripping with atmosphere and mood, I'm not a rabid fan like many.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Interesting analysis; thanks for your thoughts.

After watching the two-disc Collector's Edition anamorphic DVD last night, I came away feeling like everything was "just fine" with this SD image and that it didn't really need any enhancing.

Of course, this can be taken with a grain of salt, as even though I like the film and will always defend it as a ghostly thriller absolutely dripping with atmosphere and mood, I'm not a rabid fan like many.
Yes, understood.
I found it to be a breath of fresh air in the movie theater opening night and during the mini viewings afterward. American Gothic horror.

I think my photography background plays into my desire to see the visual elements, upgraded and enhanced, and my love for the movie and atmosphere
Although I do find aspects of it… Like the reveal of the house, servants and gravestones are extremely weak

My love of the film allows me to forgive This.

thank you for considering my opinion greatly appreciated.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Yes, understood.
I found it to be a breath of fresh air in the movie theater opening night and during the mini viewings afterward. American Gothic horror.

I think my photography background plays into my desire to see the visual elements, upgraded and enhanced, and my love for the movie and atmosphere
Although I do find aspects of it… Like the reveal of the house, servants and gravestones are extremely weak

My love of the film allows me to forgive This.

thank you for considering my opinion greatly appreciated.
It's absolutely mind-boggling that we even have to include this in replies to one another as a species nowadays, isn't it?

At any rate, no problem at all -- I appreciate you "feeling me" regarding my opinion. :)

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
It's absolutely mind-boggling that we even have to include this in replies to one another as a species nowadays, isn't it?

At any rate, no problem at all -- I appreciate you "feeling me" regarding my opinion. :)
Yes, completely agreed it’s ludicrous hahaha

Oh, I totally feel you yeah. It’s not a perfect movie, but there are so many perfect moments and Nicole is phenomenal. The filmmaking is great. There’s a lot of miss steps.
But I’m fond of it however, I do find it mind-boggling that they have used the Rec. 709 color space for this release
And not taking advantage of HDR

A bit sad for me

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Yes, completely agreed it’s ludicrous hahaha

Oh, I totally feel you yeah. It’s not a perfect movie, but there are so many perfect moments and Nicole is phenomenal. The filmmaking is great. There’s a lot of miss steps.
But I’m fond of it however, I do find it mind-boggling that they have used the Rec. 709 color space for this release
And not taking advantage of HDR

A bit sad for me
I understand how you feel; as I said, for me personally, I don't think it would necessarily benefit from the wide color gamut and 2020 space.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I understand how you feel; as I said, for me personally, I don't think it would necessarily benefit from the wide color gamut and 2020 space.
I agree with you actually, losing the wide color gamut...this doesn't bother me. It won't hurt the film after thinking about your comments.

However...
the loss of HDR10...or even better, Dolby Vision, I will miss that.
Those interiors would look extraordinary

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I only saw the Atmos track on this disc.

There review states there is a 5.1? I thought that was on the Studio Canal version.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

There review states there is a 5.1? I thought that was on the Studio Canal version.
I will double check that. It’s possible I saw it on the BR disc, and thought it was the 4K.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Yep, only Atmos on the 4K disc, and the data has been corrected. I'm new to this, and the logistics can be a bit much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks