JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They don’t make horror movies like they used to?  In The Others writer/director Alejandro Amenábar proves that’s not always true, with this wonderfully textured, philosophical horror story.

The Others (2001)

Released: 10 Aug 2001
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 104 min

Director: Alejandro Amenábar
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller

Cast: Nicole Kidman, Christopher Eccleston, Fionnula Flanagan
Writer(s): Alejandro Amenábar

Plot: During World War II, a woman who lives with her two photosensitive children on her darkened old family estate in the Channel Islands becomes convinced that the home is haunted.

IMDB rating: 7.6
MetaScore: 74

Disc Information

Studio: Studio Canal
Distributed By: Criterion Collection...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Great, thoughtful review. Timeless film, made with care via Amenabar, & glad to know this release is impressive.
scared horror film GIF by FilmStruck

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Such an underrated ghostly classic absolutely dripping with atmosphere and mood. Many so-called "horror directors" of today need to take a lesson from Amenábar on how to craft a spooky thriller that keeps the audience on edge without spilling one single drop of blood.

I own (and still watch) the Miramax two-disc Collector's Edition DVD of The Others, and to my eye and via my upconverting equipment, the transfer holds up just fine, as does the lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 audio mix, so I won't double dip with the 4K. Nice to know it's available, though.

Kino, Criterion, Vinegar Syndrome or Scream Factory need to turn their attention to House on Haunted Hill (the Vincent Price original), the original Hitcher and a handful of other great horror yarns that haven't gotten the love they deserve.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Great review of a terrific film. If a film is shot substantially low key, HDR can do harm.
I can understand that. Plus, the outdoor settings are so foggy and flat, I doubt HDR could be of any benefit, and could also be damaging.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I will wait for caps-a-holic to post comparison screenshots with the Studio Canal release, to decide what will I purchase..

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'll be purchasing this 4K/UHD next month during B&N Criterion sale.
For those that may want to get this before Halloween -- complete speculation , but the most likely guess for the Criterion Flash Sale is next Tues -- Oct 17th. Hopefully the Criterion Stream members will get a Promo $$ soon which is at least a hint that it's soon. For the last several year 3rd Tues in October has been the date to circle.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
As we're all agreed that this is a terrific film here's an anecdote about trying to see it with appropriate respect.

At the time it was first issued I visited a friend away from Central London and we went to her local smallish multi, which was also showing either a new Star Wars or Harry Potter - I can't remember.

Tht childrens film sold out and as The Others was beginning about five noisy kids came in and settled in the front row, shouting and making phone calls. It took ten minutes for staff to appear and throw them out, by which time the mood was shattered. I suggested restarting but as it was a platter system this was impossible so some of us chose to be given our money back and we saw it properly with maximum appreciation the following week at The Warner West End.

Now taking questions on why I only see films at home on my projection and 7.1 system.........

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
For those that may want to get this before Halloween -- complete speculation , but the most likely guess for the Criterion Flash Sale is next Tues -- Oct 17th. Hopefully the Criterion Stream members will get a Promo $$ soon which is at least a hint that it's soon. For the last several year 3rd Tues in October has been the date to circle.

Speaking of -- some folks now getting their $10 vouchers/certs so very high prob the Flash Sale will be Tuesday -- past sales almost always start at Noon ET

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of -- some of now getting their $10 vouchers/certs so very high prob the Flash Sale will be Tuesday -- past almost always start at Noon ET
Yup as soon as I got that email from Criterion, I said to myself that David is right about this upcoming flash sale.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It sounds like several people will be receiving this on release day.

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Great review of a terrific film. If a film is shot substantially low key, HDR can do harm.
Such an amazing film and easily ranks amongst my top 50, would’ve loved to see Dolby Vision employed or HDR 10

But you simply can’t touch this movie, it is pure Gothic horror

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks