What's new

The Official Star Wars Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
The other day I was here and I swear I saw three links to releases of prequel trilogy extended soundtracks at the same site as the listing above for Solo but now can't find them for the life of me. It is entirely possible my pandemic-numbed brain was simply exercising wish fulfillment in some kind of vaccine-related euphoria, but I ask nonetheless if such links and soundtracks do exist. Thank you.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I think those newer vinyl reissues of a new hope and empire are only being released in Europe.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
My copy of John Williams In Vienna (live) arrived today in honor of his birthday. Listening to his most influential themes conducted by the legend himself for an adoring audience is a thrill. I hope he’s enjoying his day :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So I had a bad experience with several pressings of The Last Jedi on vinyl. I could not find one that played correctly brand new. I read reviews on Amazon and others had this problem as well. Skips and noise from bad pressings of the vinyl.

I still would like to find a copy but am hesitant to buy one again.

Has anyone bought a copy and not had playback issues as I / others have described?

I’m really enjoying listening to attack of the clones and the last Jedi on cd at the moment too. Wonderful scores.

*** Also any feedback on the playback of the picture disc of the force awakens lp?

I did note that the I Am Shark pressings of The Last Jedi are also out there. Do these play without issues?

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I picked up the picture disc of the force awakens.

Any Star Wars cd sales for sw day?

I don’t have the reissued CDs for clones and phantom. I have the original releases.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So I had a bad experience with several pressings of The Last Jedi on vinyl. I could not find one that played correctly brand new. I read reviews on Amazon and others had this problem as well. Skips and noise from bad pressings of the vinyl.

I still would like to find a copy but am hesitant to buy one again.

Has anyone bought a copy and not had playback issues as I / others have described?

I’m really enjoying listening to attack of the clones and the last Jedi on cd at the moment too. Wonderful scores.

*** Also any feedback on the playback of the picture disc of the force awakens lp?

I did note that the I Am Shark pressings of The Last Jedi are also out there. Do these play without issues?

I reached out to a seller online about a used copy of the last Jedi on vinyl. I gave him the backstory and history about faulty albums. He tested his used copy and found the same skipping issues exist in his copy as well.

Very puzzling.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, either Carnegie Hall is getting desperate OR they've suddenly become fans of Star Wars cosplay, LOL...

This just arrived in my inbox (and yes, I've been subscribing/attending to occasional concerts/series there in recent years, including Across the Stars w/ Anne-Sophie Mutter earlier this April):

A Night of Inspiration by Jennifer Taylor

Music from the Entire Star Wars Film Saga

Friday, October 21 at 8 PM​

Stern Auditorium / Perelman Stage​

The New York Pops

The Music of Star Wars

Steven Reineke, Music Director and Conductor
The New York Pops takes you to a galaxy far, far away. Experience the music of Star Wars in a comprehensive program that includes selections from all nine movies in the epic saga, as well as Solo and Rogue One. Tickets start at $47.
We also encourage you to celebrate the occasion by wearing your favorite Star Wars attire and cosplay. Stop by the photo booth in the Weill Café before the performance or during intermission for a picture and pick up free Star Wars–inspired buttons exclusive to this event. Our favorite outfits will be featured on Carnegie Hall social media channels following the performance.

Seems pretty wild to think there might really be social-media-engaged SW cosplay, instead of "ye olde" penguin suits, going on at a big Carnegie Hall concert, LOL... :lol: :D:cool: though there's no actual mention of that on their usual, official page for the event (so far)... :P:D

I didn't actually bother getting tix to this before (unlike the earlier "benefit concert"), but that schpiel definitely tempts me a bit, LOL...

Happy TGIF, y'all...

:cheers:

_Man_

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I’m no expert in Star Wars music. So I have a question. At the suggestion of this thread, I picked up the Sony Box Set, Star Wars The Ultimate Soundtrack Collection.

I’ve listened to it quite a few times. I was immersing myself in The Empire StrIkes Back film last weekend. And there is a musical cue that stuck in my head. On the planet Hoth, there is a track when the shot cuts to the snow speeders as they are flying over a crest in search of Han and Luke. On the CD, after ripping it, the track is called: The Wampa’s Lair/ Vision of Obi-Wan/Snow Speeders Take Flight. The third segment at 7.00 minutes sounds like an alternative version and not the one heard in the film. Perhaps the sound effects are obscuring the instrumentation but I doubt it as the later half of the track sounds like it does in the film when they find Han and the pilot says, “Echo Base, this is Rogue 2, I found them! ‘ the track has a driving beat. dum, dum..dum dum, dum… :). It’s not the same on the CD.

The Imperial March, The asteroid field, all those tracks sounds like the ones used in the film. So I’m wondering what I’m hearing on that track I mentioned above. Thanks for any insights.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Hey guys, I’m no expert in Star Wars music. So I have a question. At the suggestion of this thread, I picked up the Sony Box Set, Star Wars The Ultimate Soundtrack Collection.

I’ve listened to it quite a few times. I was immersing myself in The Empire StrIkes Back film last weekend. And there is a musical cue that stuck in my head. On the planet Hoth, there is a track when the shot cuts to the snow speeders as they are flying over a crest in search of Han and Luke. On the CD, after ripping it, the track is called: The Wampa’s Lair/ Vision of Obi-Wan/Snow Speeders Take Flight. The third segment at 7.00 minutes sounds like an alternative version and not the one heard in the film. Perhaps the sound effects are obscuring the instrumentation but I doubt it as the later half of the track sounds like it does in the film when they find Han and the pilot says, “Echo Base, this is Rogue 2, I found them! ‘ the track has a driving beat. dum, dum..dum dum, dum… :). It’s not the same on the CD.

The Imperial March, The asteroid field, all those tracks sounds like the ones used in the film. So I’m wondering what I’m hearing on that track I mentioned above. Thanks for any insights.

It's a reused and re-edited portion of the track "Hyperspace" from the climax of the movie. They seem to have looped some of that low-string ostinato to fit the earlier scene.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Bryan, thanks! And I learned a new term, ostinato. A repeating motif.

I listened to Hyperspace and I hear that segment alright! I guess the film editors or Kershner felt that the Han Luke rescue sequence needed that more driving beat.

Now I’ll watch the climax sequence again and listen for it!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Bryan, thanks! And I learned a new term, ostinato. A repeating motif.

I listened to Hyperspace and I hear that segment alright! I guess the film editors or Kershner felt that the Han Luke rescue sequence needed that more driving beat.

Now I’ll watch the climax sequence again and listen for it!

No problem; I've immersed myself in these scores quite a bit over the years. :)

Another part of the "Hyperspace" cue was reused at the end of Return of the Jedi, right when Lando and Wedge reach the main reactor of the Death Star. It replaced the opening of the cue Williams had written for the scene, but it switches back right as the Falcon takes its shot. The full original cue can be heard in "The Battle of Endor III" on Disc 2 of ROTJ.

That expanded 2-CD set of Empire is a treasure trove. Williams scored the film pretty much wall-to-wall, and it's really interesting to hear the unused cues in there. I actually agree with the removal of some of them, as the movie needed some moments of silence here and there, but I'm glad they're available on the album.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah Snowspeeders Take Flight (or "Luke's Rescue" as it was called on the old Arista Soundtrack Anthology box) was largely looped out except for a small section when Zev says "I've found them!"

In fact nearly all the music from the first reel of Empire Strikes Back got chopped or rescored in the editing room.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
No problem; I've immersed myself in these scores quite a bit over the years. :)

Another part of the "Hyperspace" cue was reused at the end of Return of the Jedi, right when Lando and Wedge reach the main reactor of the Death Star. It replaced the opening of the cue Williams had written for the scene, but it switches back right as the Falcon takes its shot. The full original cue can be heard in "The Battle of Endor III" on Disc 2 of ROTJ.
Correction: That was from "Losing A Hand"/"Escape From Cloud City".

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Correction: That was from "Losing A Hand"/"Escape From Cloud City".

You're right; that section wasn't on the original album's track "Hyperspace," but they were all combined into one track for the later 2-CD releases. I remember the notes, but not always the arrangements. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This is interesting stuff guys. I’ve been more into Star Trek music, so it’s interesting to delve in the Star Wars John Williams material. It’s a lot of good music that I always enjoyed in the films. So it wasn’t until recently I got your box set. I didn’t know that the 2CD sets are actually the complete scores, but that unused material is being heard in its un-edited form. That’s always cool. I just don’t the material well enough to recognize it.

I did re-view the ending of Empire last night from when Leia tells Chewie to go back to Bespin and they find LIke. That track Hyperspace is really buried under the sound effects and dialogue.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This is interesting stuff guys. I’ve been more into Star Trek music, so it’s interesting to delve in the Star Wars John Williams material. It’s a lot of good music that I always enjoyed in the films. So it wasn’t until recently I got your box set. I didn’t know that the 2CD sets are actually the complete scores, but that unused material is being heard in its un-edited form. That’s always cool. I just don’t the material well enough to recognize it.

I did re-view the ending of Empire last night from when Leia tells Chewie to go back to Bespin and they find LIke. That track Hyperspace is really buried under the sound effects and dialogue.

Not to mention that in the updated versions, it's interrupted by a section from an earlier cue for that stupid scene of Vader arriving on his Star Destroyer (which itself is very obviously an outtake from the opening scene of ROTJ).

Another interesting track is "The Imperial Probe / Aboard the Executor." The "Main Title" track includes an alternate take of the post-crawl scene of the probe being launched, while "The Imperial Probe" is the actual film version. "Aboard the Executor" presents what is, I assume, the original cue for the reveal of the Imperial fleet; in the final mix, it was tracked with the opening of the concert version of "The Imperial March."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks