What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm sure no one's surprised that the mash up of an orchestra and Sir Mix-A-Lot did nothing for me... it's still Rap... The women on stage for "Baby Got Back" was... interesting...

Dolly Parton: "Bygones (feat. Rob Halford)" - That was nice. She did a great job.

Jonathan Coulton: "Baby Got Back" - Much better than the original though I didn't much like it, either.

Butthole Surfers: "Shame of Life" - Meh... That 4 minutes felt like 10...

While I've heard the name, I've not heard anything from this group before so looked them up. They're considered "alternative rock" - a genre I tend to enjoy so I sampled some of what allmusic calls their better tracks. It's more experimental type stuff, bordering on psychedelia with a good portion of punk, electronica, and pure chaos thrown in for good measure. I didn't care for anything I sampled.

According to Wikipedia, this is their "best" track (basically the first one that charted, going to #1 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart the year it was released and #19 on the Mainstream Rock chart) - It's another somewhat mash up of punk and rap...

Butthole Surfers - "Pepper":

Another track from that album which allmusic says is a better track. Of the 6 or 7 tracks from them I sampled I liked this one best and listened to it all the way through...

Butthole Surfers - "The Lord is a Monkey":

@John Dirk - based on what I've listened to from this group I'd recommend you give their 7th album "Electriclarryland" a spin (yes, it's a parody of Hendrix's Electric Ladyland). It's the one on which those 2 tracks appeared.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I haven't posted anything in a while, but since you mentioned collaborations: Dolly Parton has recently put out a few cover songs, some with the original artists such as let it be with Paul and Ringo.

Back in the day, I could have never imagined Dolly singing heavier rock type stuff.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm sure no one's surprised that the mash up of an orchestra and Sir Mix-A-Lot did nothing for me... it's still Rap... The women on stage for "Baby Got Back" was... interesting...
Musically, I did anticipate this response but the true value of the performance is how it brought a disparate audience together for a night of detached fun. Our world is sorely in need of this type of thing,

These songs are by no means representative of Rap's best but, personally, I've learned to find elements of interest in practically every genre.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO this sort of thing usually produces some pretty cool and timeless content. Like this one.

It is a fun song. Not a partnership I’d expect, but that is a recent trend that’s a positive thing. Maybe it started when Johnny Cash covered Nine Inch Nails.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
While I've heard the name, I've not heard anything from this group before so looked them up. They're considered "alternative rock" - a genre I tend to enjoy so I sampled some of what allmusic calls their better tracks. It's more experimental type stuff, bordering on psychedelia with a good portion of punk, electronica, and pure chaos thrown in for good measure. I didn't care for anything I sampled.
But you took the time to listen before coming to this conclusion. That's what it's all about.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Back in the day, I could have never imagined Dolly singing heavier rock type stuff.
She probably still wouldn't, but once she was inducted into the "Rock & Roll" HOF, I think she felt compelled to actually have some "rock" music in her discography. She initially declined the nomination as she stated she was never a rock artist, but then reluctantly accepted it and said she'd work on a rock album to make it somewhat justified.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
1695817464268.gif

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've finally reorganized all my parents' CDs, and I've been going through them. My father had a lot of guitar recordings, and this by Bucky and John Pizzarelli caught my eye. I can't find it anywhere online, so I uploaded an mp3. These guys really can burn.

Attachments

• Sweet Georgia Brown.mp3
    5.4 MB

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Bucky and John Pizzarelli - "Sweet Georgia Brown"
Monty Alexander, Ray Brown, Herb Ellis - "(Meet the) Flintstones"

Both of those are excellent! Lots of toe-tappin' fun! And I really like both songs as well.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A subversive parody of "Swan Lake" by Pussy Riot. (English subtitles are insightful).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Dunno how I managed to miss these).

Dolly doing a cover of Magic Man with Ann Wilson.

Dolly doing a cover of Stairway to Heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks